NS2 Xbox 360

AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
I would love to be able to play NS2 on Xbox 360 (Only with and against other people using Xbox 360).
I believe it is doable, since the "biggest" challenge is to map the controls for the commander, which, honestly, should not be too difficult with some good structure placement upgrades (the current one is a bit buggy).

Onions?

Comments

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Agree with strofix. Would be hard to come up with a system that allows you to track fast targets w/o autoaim. Perhaps use the typical left trigger to increase sensitivity allowing you to spin around faster?......no idea.
  • AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
    edited March 2013
    They managed to do it with "Aliens vs Predator" (2010), why not NS2? :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_vs._Predator_(video_game)
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Akimoto wrote: »
    They managed to do it with "Aliens vs Predator" (2010), why not NS2? :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_vs._Predator_(video_game)

AvP is slower than COD

• extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    i think you'd need to wait until next gen xbox . dont think uwe has the resources to optimize it for xbox memory & processing constraints. BUT, all that aside. Could it work as a console game? Speed of close in combat would be a problem. Also, of the alien movements, i think skulk would be the hardest to translate - but they all would be tricky to translate. And when you make changes there, you necessarily need to change the marines too.

Yea. I think the concept could be brought over, but the movement & fighting mechanics would require a large make over.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think they could on the xbox360 because of the cpu and ram limitations.
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    We all know it's impossible and silly. The real question here is why do you want this?
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    I would love to be able to play NS2 on Xbox 360 (Only with and against other people using Xbox 360).
    I believe it is doable, since the "biggest" challenge is to map the controls for the commander, which, honestly, should not be too difficult with some good structure placement upgrades (the current one is a bit buggy).

Onions?
    Yea, delicious onions.

As long as they get their own servers, I think its a great idea. Would probably make a lot of sales, maybe.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    So what are the hardware specifications again of the Eggsbox ₤3,60?

3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
    512MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700MHz
    500MHz ATI Xenos

So says wikipedia. You know I'm having a hard time believing it can even run the NS2 main menu cinematic...
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    extollo wrote: »
    i think you'd need to wait until next gen xbox . dont think uwe has the resources to optimize it for xbox memory & processing constraints. BUT, all that aside. Could it work as a console game? Speed of close in combat would be a problem. Also, of the alien movements, i think skulk would be the hardest to translate - but they all would be tricky to translate. And when you make changes there, you necessarily need to change the marines too.

Yea. I think the concept could be brought over, but the movement & fighting mechanics would require a large make over.

How about make a mod on the current spark engine?
    The only way I see the gameplay of NS2 translating over well to the Xbox and the limitations of its controls is by changing the gameplay mechanics in such a way that its fun to play with a controller.

For example: Biting and Flying and melee combat requires a lot of accurate tracking with the mouse.
    Why not increase the skulk's base movement speed.
    Give Leap an upward launch, even when facing straight ahead.
    And change the melee combat to require more grappling moves.
    Such as a leap that grabs a marine and does damage over time as the skulk is attached to the marine and biting.
    Ranged combat will translate over well, so maybe fades could get acid rocket.
    Lerks abilities are fine the way they are but their flying mechanics could be done in third person.
    Lerks could control in a similar fashion to a flight simulator, controlling a hawk.
    The maps should have higher ceilings to compensate for this mechanic.

Those are jsut some examples of what could be done to make the game to potentially make controller play fun. And its doable now if people find would make the mod. You could use XPadder or something like that to test the game. And it would also add additional content to the steam worshop for PC players of NS2 to try out.

I do think that this require the next gen of Xbox though if this becomes reality.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with disversifying your portfolio and gaining a wider audience.
    However, who knows if this title would be a success on the Xbox Platform?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »

500MHz ATI Xenos

So says wikipedia. You know I'm having a hard time believing it can even run the NS2 main menu cinematic...
    But what if I want to use Kinect to bellyslide in-game via bellysliding IRL?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

500MHz ATI Xenos

But what if I want to use Kinect to bellyslide in-game via bellysliding IRL?

Sure, you go do that Belly Slide gesture and your ... Shotgun... :-O

I hate you Bob!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited March 2013
    Consoles charge devs a fee for putting their game on the console. They charge for content patches and if you know UWE they like patching/hotfixing a lot.

Here is their full reasoning:

http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/338117751?t=1h42m01s
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Developing to consoles, xbox in particular is extreamly expensive. Even whit 0 programming, hardware and developer software costs a small fortune.
    Furthermore the current hardware is what, 7 years old as Kouji stated.
    The fast pace of NS2 would allso be a huge barrier, i dont think that even if UWE was willing and had the funds, porting NS2 to consoles would be a realistic goal.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ohnojojo wrote: »

Onions?
    Yea, delicious onions.

As long as they get their own servers, I think its a great idea. Would probably make a lot of sales, maybe.

Lol, Xbox doesn't even get dedicated servers for multiplayer gaming. It's peer-to-peer hosting. And you gotta pay a monthly fee to use that "privilege"...
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    There is a lot of work just to get the 360 SDK, then is the whole issue of the certification process where there needs to zero bugs to pass.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I heard the license for a console was $1 MILLION dollars, that's $1 000 000. And that's before you even get anything done.

Also, the current gen stuff is too crappy to run ns2 at a playable framerate, just look at the e3 demo of Aliens: Colonial Marines, that was awesome... running real time... on a PC. They had to rip it to shreds to get it to run on the ps3 and xbox 360, that's why it looks so hideous.

The next gen stuff I heard was going to be using graphics chips close to the performance of a 6670, which is slower than a 5770... I don't know about you, but a 5770 is pretty much the minimum I would consider seriously playing ns2 on.

Not to mention the fact they'll be using AMD APU cpus, which aren't exactly known for their performance per watt.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    I heard the license for a console was $1 MILLION dollars, that's $1 000 000. And that's before you even get anything done.

You got two zeros overmuch on the price for the dev kit.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact they'll be using AMD APU cpus, which aren't exactly known for their performance per watt.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're "known" for. As opposed to absolute performance. A10-series runs a 4 GHz quadcore and a HD7660 with a TDP of 65W. Performance per watt is the reason the next-gen consoles will be using them.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This game would never work on a console. The gameplay wouldn't work, the technical side wouldn't work, and it wouldn't even be on the radar of console players. There's no market for small, independent developers on the Xbox.

There are some things that only work on PC. This is one of those things.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    There's no market for small, independent developers on the Xbox.

Bastion wants a word with you.

... and that word sounds like "ks-blah".
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    snaga wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're "known" for. As opposed to absolute performance. A10-series runs a 4 GHz quadcore and a HD7660 with a TDP of 65W. Performance per watt is the reason the next-gen consoles will be using them.
    I've been quite impressed with the latest AMD APU series. They've got pretty good CPU/$ and GPU/$ performance. I still question whether they'll be able to run newer games like NS2.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    There's no market for small, independent developers on the Xbox.

Bastion wants a word with you.

... and that word sounds like "ks-blah".

Okay, maybe I should've specified that I was only talking about multiplayer games. It's one thing for a single-player game downloaded off of XBLA to be a success, it's a very different thing for an XBLA game to develop a large enough playerbase to support multiplayer matches
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been quite impressed with the latest AMD APU series. They've got pretty good CPU/$ and GPU/$ performance. I still question whether they'll be able to run newer games like NS2.

Newer games yes. NS2? Not sure. :P
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    edited March 2013
    cant do skulk or fade on a controller.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    edited March 2013

for next-gen consoles they scrapped the idea of using apu's, at least in the PS4. Official announcments and specs given have it using basically an AMD 7870 GPU and 8350 CPU. People are gonna shit bricks when they see the price tags. But yes, the PS4 certainly could run the ever-demanding NS2 engine.
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    Rich_ wrote: »

for next-gen consoles they scrapped the idea of using apu's, at least in the PS4. Official announcments and specs given have it using basically an AMD 7870 GPU and 8350 CPU. People are gonna shit bricks when they see the price tags. But yes, the PS4 certainly could run the ever-demanding NS2 engine.

Er, no that's incorrect - the PS4 is still using an APU with Jaguar x86-64 cores and a GCN GPU.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    I play NS2 with my xbox360 controller all the time and I do well. I often have the most points by the end of the game on both marines and aliens. On average I get about 30-6 KD on aliens. However I do admit aiming is three times harder, but I am more used to the controller than a mouse and keyboard. Playing with the controller is not as hard as it seems. Also, I dont think the xbox360 can handle NS2, will have low fps.