Map/List of commander hotkeys?

SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
I've been looking through the wiki and various threads but haven't found what I'm looking for:
Is there a visual map or compiled list of all the commander hotkeys?
Also, is there a reason I can't see the location names when commanding? It's a pain to try telling people where to go if you haven't memorized all the locations on every map.

It seems like nobody ever wants to command so I thought I'd crack the arthritic knuckles and learn how to not be a total douche in the chair/hive.

Comments

• thrawnthrawn Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33380Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    Hi,

If you find it, please send it over :D

I think minimap will help you for the names.
  • SliceSlice Join Date: 2008-03-19 Member: 63903Members
    As you scroll around the mini-map, the name of the locations appears in the upper left of your HUD.

Haven't seen a hotkey list yet.

From NS1, I know you can highlight any structure and do CTRL-# to set it to a number hotkey.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The hotkeys follow a grid system so its pretty simple and standard once you memorize the positions:
    dg9xWld.png
  • PortlandTrailBlazerPortlandTrailBlazer Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184471Members
    Is there a way to change the mappings? On dvorak-based layouts the default mappings are terrible.
  • MrNihilMrNihil Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183524Members
    edited March 2013
    I agree. There should be system of multiple key bindings similar to Aliens vs Predator or Crysis etc. There are multiple binds, which work depending on what is used. Example:
    Global (movement/mouse/console/speech (default X)/microphone/chat/etc),
    Marine (weapons bind/abilities like flashlight),
    Alien (wallwalks etc),
    Commander (map moving as commander, I do really want to use WSAD to move instead of arrow keys)/build binds/selecting players, buildings/separated into human/alien comm if needed).
    About keybinds too! I would be happy to be able to save my keybinds and exec them as I demand, because my game is constantly harassing me by resetting binds making me wander in options to set it right, disable videos, rookie mode, and in rare cases reset graphics settings.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    Re-configurable hotkeys has been suggested so many times the dev team must have put it on their to-do list by now, I think I once read that there was something to do with the way NS2 was coded in lua that made it difficult to allow certain key bindings, being able to change the mousewheel binding for example.

As for seeing the map names, you need to use the pop-up minimap, default button is 'C' I think, I re-bound it to '\' so that I didn't accidentally select some upgrade or building when I looked at the map. It's also much easier to see where the action is happening on the pop-up map than the tiny map at the bottom-left, so you should look at it a lot and use it to click on the room you need to look at.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    As for seeing the map names, you need to use the pop-up minimap, default button is 'C' I think, I re-bound it to '\' so that I didn't accidentally select some upgrade or building when I looked at the map.

People I've recently played with claimed, that if your installation of the game is "young" enough the map will no longer show on 'C' but on 'M' instead. Maybe to counter that problem. However for me it is still c and I simply adapted to the short display of the map when placing spurs for m is way to far to reach in a comfortable way with my small hands.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    Bind it to "\" and both of those problems are solved ;-)

I'm referring to the button between left shift and Z on a QWERTY, in case that's causing confusion, so it's just as easy to reach as C. I think this key may be missing from US keyboards though, unlucky guys, that's what you get for kicking us out.
  • SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    edited April 2013
    Is there a way to change the mappings? On dvorak-based layouts the default mappings are terrible.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/124497/remapping-commander-keys

How to is in this topic
    Sacapuces wrote: »
    here's the solution :
    go to steam/userdata/"some number"/4920/remote
    open options.xml
    change the following
    <A>A</A>
    <Q>Q</Q>
    <Z>Z</Z>
    <W>W</W>

in
    <A>Q</A>
    <Q>A</Q>
    <Z>W</Z>
    <W>Z</W>

or whatever you want that matches your keyboard
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Sidder - this doesnt work anymore, they moved it again.
  • SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    Well I dunno about that, I used this fix some patches ago, did the trick & untill this point .. its still working for me ... the keys I edited at least :p
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sry for my wrong post, found out it still works ye, with some strange reason, i didnt have any entries in my options.xml for those bindings to change.
  • appLEjuiceappLEjuice Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160926Members
    Bind it to "\" and both of those problems are solved ;-)

I'm referring to the button between left shift and Z on a QWERTY, in case that's causing confusion, so it's just as easy to reach as C. I think this key may be missing from US keyboards though, unlucky guys, that's what you get for kicking us out.

There is no button between left shift and z...
    http://www.hitechreview.com/gallery/steelseries-6gv2-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/steelseries-6gv2-mechanical-gaming-keyboard_6.jpg
    *Error* :D
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    The hotkeys follow a grid system so its pretty simple and standard once you memorize the positions:
    dg9xWld.png

post of year, all years
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    This won't work for everybody, but I put my map and push-to-talk keys on the mouse side-buttons. I did have the radial menu instead of voice chat, but I was getting bored of researching EMPs at my robo factory every time I spoke to someone, haha.