I'm starting to prefer 24 man servers

SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
I just think it's more fun to have more people to talk to. It also opens up a lot of new strategies.

Discuss.

Comments

• AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
    Discuss? What do you think this is, a public discussion forum? Oh wait...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It also opens up a lot of new strategies.

wtf.gif Really?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm really glad we have multiple threads open to talk about the same topic.

Great.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Imo 18 players is max for a fun game. The more players there are the more marine squads there are that reach "critical mass". The amount of players that cannot (or hardly) be killed by skulks, resulting in a huge disadvantage for aliens. Less than 14 players on the other hand (on public) is to few to accomplish anything at all. Only single marines or pairs of two which can easily be taken out, resulting in an advantage for aliens. So i guess the game is most balanced with 16 players +-2.

Disclaimer: All i said above refers to public servers only and is based entirely on my own observation which might be incorrect for whatever reasons.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2013
    I just think it's more fun to have more people to talk to. It also opens up a lot of new strategies.

I know what you mean, Like that strategy where every inch of the corridor is a tangled mass of oni, sentries, cysts, marine corpses, arcs, dead hydras, medpacks, ammo packs marines are running back and forth welding everyone and everything, and it all moves with the grace of 5 FPS slideshow, until it all goes dark, because an undetected skulk has bitten off the mainbase powernode meanwhile, and a the kickass team of 7+ dual exos have lost their way while crossing Y junction. Then half of the marine team disconnects, and the aliens, awash with endorphines and other euphorics suicide all their onos against a group of jetpacked shotgunners, power is back up, and you can look forward to a 2+ hours battle involving similar splendid moments. The omnipresent shouts of a frustrated commander featuring heavy mid-eastern accent only cement the already molasses-heavy atmosphere: "What are you doing, you dorks! Nanogrid, go nanogrid, obey me, I AM YOUR COMMANDER, not that way, you dolts..."

I love overpopulated servers as well ;-)
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Kamamura wrote: »

I know what you mean, Like that strategy where every inch of the corridor is a tangled mass of oni, sentries, cysts, marine corpses, arcs, dead hydras, medpacks, ammo packs marines are running back and forth welding everyone and everything, and it all moves with the grace of 5 FPS slideshow, until it all goes dark, because an undetected skulk has bitten off the mainbase powernode meanwhile, and a the kickass team of 7+ dual exos have lost their way while crossing Y junction. Then half of the marine team disconnects, and the aliens, awash with endorphines and other euphorics suicide all their onos against a group of jetpacked shotgunners, power is back up, and you can look forward to a 2+ hours battle involving similar splendid moments. The omnipresent shouts of a frustrated commander featuring heavy mid-eastern accent only cement the already molasses-heavy atmosphere: "What are you doing, you dorks! Nanogrid, go nanogrid, obey me, I AM YOUR COMMANDER, not that way, you dolts..."

I love overpopulated servers as well ;-)

Everything you posted has nothing to do with player count.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I like the idea of 24 player servers, not because it's balanced (since right not it's not) but because they are VERY good servers for new players to play on.

Yeah people may disagree since they feel you don't 'learn much' on those servers, but the reality is this game has NO trainer. None. When you add in a high learning curve, you end up with people who feel like they are in over their heads.

Large 24 player servers mean the impact of each individual player is lessened. If one player doesn't have a clue what he's doing, that doesn't impact the game at all. He won't get yelled at for making a mistake. In a 6v6 if you have one team with a clueless player you may as well say "gg" now, since I can tell you how that's gonna end.

On larger servers there is more forgiveness, and *that* is something that NS2 sorely needs on servers of ALL sizes.

• mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    Yep I prefer the larger servers, because I enjoy the combat aspect of the game and pretty much nothing else, maybe a little commanding, and those servers provide the most action.

Sadly combat mode has very little combat or I would play combat, it's simply aliens sitting in the hive with gorges and people afraid to come out.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited March 2013
    First, they came for the 24 player servers and I said nothing because I did not play on them.

Next, they came for the 20 player servers and I said nothing because I did not play on them.

Then, they came for the 18 player servers and I said nothing because I did not play on them.

Finally, they came for the 16 player servers and there was no one left to speak for me.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    More then 18 players are highly susceptible to egglocked aliens, especially on public servers where the floor Skulks die when marines sneeze in their general direction :/
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    marines sneeze

Can we get that as a taunt?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    marines sneeze

Can we get that as a taunt?

"Aaaachoo. I'm allergic to dead aliens."
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Game balance aside, the prime reason I dislike 24 man servers is because there's little hope of ninjaing things with that many people running around all over. You want to sneak something into enemy territory? good luck getting past the 12 people running around in places no one usually goes. People are always in a base in 24 man servers, so no ninja gorge rushing. You simply have to use brute force in a 24 man server, which I don't prefer to the sneaky side of NS2.

All the same, if you like it, go ahead and enjoy it. Its not like they're going to take away the ability to make a 24 man server. And even if they did, there would be a mod out in seconds.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I prefer 24 women servers.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited March 2013
    Flagging posts isnt a "super downvote" If you disagree, use that option.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Everyone has their own particular taste in player count and that's what makes life good at times (having choices).

I personally prefer 24 man servers because I like the chaotic war battles :)

Blood, guns, action and lots of targets!
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    More then 18 players are highly susceptible to egglocked aliens,:/

True enough, so most of the time you have to go shift hive first, except on the rare occasion where you know you have a good alien players that won't constantly die.

However, the thing is, the more players, the more powerful a shift hive becomes.

Just recently I played as Khamm on ns_docking, went shift hive first. Within the first few minutes of the game there was a large battle to get Lockers (marines started cafe). So I cysted to just behind lockers near ball court and put down a shift and started spawning eggs there. The marines could not keep up with the amount of skulks coming into lockers from that shift and we took it over. Without that, we would not have taken it.

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not sure if serious or being passive aggressive.
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    What new strategy does having 12 people per side open up?

I can't play on 24 player servers, it becomes too much like an fps deathmatch and less like a rts.

Play where you want to play.

(Why does this topic have you all worked up SixtyWatt? I saw your freakout post in the other thread where you were calling people elitist based in their preference of server size and now you go and create this useless thread to discuss the exact same issue. I don't get it. What are you hoping to accomplish?)
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    bongofish wrote: »
    What new strategy does having 12 people per side open up?

I can't play on 24 player servers, it becomes too much like an fps deathmatch and less like a rts.

Play where you want to play.

(Why does this topic have you all worked up SixtyWatt? I saw your freakout post in the other thread where you were calling people elitist based in their preference of server size and now you go and create this useless thread to discuss the exact same issue. I don't get it. What are you hoping to accomplish?)

There's really no reason to personally attack me.
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    Sorry if you felt I was attacking you by pointing out what you did. I'll be man enough to admit that I was calling you out for your behaviour, though I'd hardly call it an attack. I didn't hurl any insults at you. I don't know you, you might be totally awesome.

It's just that this whole post seems like a passive aggressive response to the post about prefering medium servers and I was curious what you were hoping to accomplish and why it bothers you so much that some people don't like playing on 24 person servers.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    if it looks like a troll, walks like a troll and smells like a troll... mostly if it smells like a troll.