Tactical Gamer, Voogru, National Gaming: Good Job

CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I spotted this comment on the NS2 Steam Forum, in The Free Weekend First Impressions Thread:
I won't be buying the game. Other than 2 minutes of gameplay, I spent the last 2 hours getting kicked from every server as soon as I joined. Luckily I had to wait for every server to load assets and precache first. It was a waste of time and killed any interest I had.
Good job, guys.

Please start passwording your servers when all the public slots are filled. As I mentioned elsewhere, you are polluting the game.

Comments

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah that shit is beyond frustrating. Most of the decent servers have reserve slots, and I think oldfgeriatric ward is the only one where the reserve is seperate (i.e. 18 slot server with +1 reserve making it 19, with a password). Unfortunately their server is a hugs and kisses hippy paradise where everyone has to be politically correct or risk getting banned.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I am soooo glad the eu servers I play on usually do not suck like this.

passworded servers are the way to go if you want to keep it regulars
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    As I told the new players I met last night, I'm playing because the free weekend is far more fun, normally I can't stand the people and servers I have to play with/on.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    There's nothing wrong with reserved slots.

What's wrong is that they look like they're open slots in the browser, so people (especially new players) will connect only to get kicked after spending time loading the map. This quite naturally makes people upset.

Passwording the servers when the public slots are filled would fix this. Some servers operators don't want to do this because it would slightly inconvenience their members. And accordingly, to save their members some inconvenience they are happy to make the game worse for everyone else (especially new players).
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    I literally never go into those servers. Is there any way to get it off my list? I do not get why anyone other than the regs would even go there. I remember joining one with like 16/25 and I still got booted for reserve slots. I mean why not just PW it and call it a day?
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    They don't want to because if you have a password going on/off and you want to make a desktop shortcut you have to make 2 shortcuts if the server is passworded or not. Oh the humanity...
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    proper way to do reserved slots is to simply increase the player slots when a member tries to join.

normally it looks like 22/22, but if a reserved member tries to join, it boosts up to 22/23.
  • Pumpkin PiePumpkin Pie Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164554Members
    edited March 2013
    Now now, We can't blame the servers here. If a player decide's to not buy the game with only 2 minute's played, then that's their problem AND how do we even know they joined these server's. Also, mind me pointing something out? The player stated "2 Hour's" So unless he was loading like 1% a Minute, then there is a problem here. He clearly didn't not join just these 3 servers (If he did, is his kinda of a idiot.) IF he even joined them in general. So if you wan't to blame servers? Then blame more then 3.
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    103 hours of playing from release and this has never happened to me O_O
    playing on EU
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    The game desperately needs support for proper reserve slots, otherwise server ops are just going to keep doing this. It's ridiculous that players have to connect and load the whole map in order to find out if the server is really full or not. Servers should be able to advertise a false maximum player count and regulars can force join.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    This is not the server owners' fault and you are fucking crazy for blaming them. These people clearly have ZERO patience and were never potential customers in the first place.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Just had a conversation about this and apparently it is a known issue that should get some love from UWE soon. It's on the radar, at least.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    was browsing ns2 server prices and thinking about sponsoring a team or something. At two dollars a slot i cannot blame these servers for having donate->reserve going. And that 2$ per slot was for private servers, not public.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    $2 a slot? Umm check out ns2servers.com or bluefangsolutions.com.

Reserved slots are dumb without a doubt. You know what I do when I want to join the server that I OWN but it's full? I set it to auto connect when a slot opens. Wow, that was hard...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Sixtywattman I disagree, they can password it before it reaches that threshold, like every other server does.

Not saying there's not a better method that uwe can implement, but in the meantime they could just do what everyone else is doing - where server owners and reserve members aren't getting their way at the expense of everyone else's time.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Sixtywattman I disagree, they can password it before it reaches that threshold, like every other server does.

Not saying there's not a better method that uwe can implement, but in the meantime they could just do what everyone else is doing - where server owners and reserve members aren't getting their way at the expense of everyone else's time.

They pay for their server and they can do whatever they want with it. It's not the server owner's job to cater to everyone and it's not a charity.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    :/

Sadface shows as period :S
    "I pay for my beer, therefore it's my right to piss on the street."
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just don't use these servers. Easy.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find these servers hilariously frustrating when they don't even tell you how many reserved slots they have.
    It's worth noting that the Tactical Gamer admins are aware of the frustration they are causing (especially to new players) and have considered various ways to alleviate that frustration. See for example this thread on their forum.

That's encouraging.

However, it's disappointing that at this time their decision remains to frustrate other players in the NS2 community rather than slightly inconvenience their members.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    They pay for their server and they can do whatever they want with it. It's not the server owner's job to cater to everyone and it's not a charity.
    You seem to be missing the point the OP brought up and why it has 15 "agree's"..

You seem to be missing the point the OP brought up and why it has 15 "agree's"..

The main point is basically Just "Why don't you guy's Password your server's when the NORMAL Slots are full?", And i agree with sixty... Let the server owner do what they want. If people don't like the way they do it then move on.... I mean, you don't see me telling people how to cook or How to play a video game Just cause i don't like the way they are doing it.

And By the way, Dis-agree/Agree doesn't Make the post any Worse/Better.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

The main point is basically Just "Why don't you guy's Password your server's when the NORMAL Slots are full?", And i agree with sixty... Let the server owner do what they want. If people don't like the way they do it then move on.... I mean, you don't see me telling people how to cook or How to play a video game Just cause i don't like the way they are doing it.

i'd agree with sixty too, if i could blacklist them. one could make the exact same argument for hackers. "it's their game, let them play how they want." see how ridiculous it is? they invade my server list, they invade newer players' server lists. And we have to learn, in an extremely aggravating fashion, to completely avoid these servers. I don't want to have to memorize their names, i don't want to have this be an exercise in negative reinforcement, i want somebody to FIX IT.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester

It has so many agrees because everyone on these forums is an entitled baby who has never rented a server in their life.

Why do you think you have anything of value to add? Hard to take a guy with a Hitler avatar seriously. Go back to Idaho?
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    edited March 2013
    It has so many agrees because everyone on these forums is an entitled baby who has never rented a server in their life.

You're talking about entitlement? The server renters are entitled children who think wasting 100's (or 1,000's) of peoples time by advertising an open server then kicking people when they try to join is ok.

Of course neither of those things is exactly true but one of them is terrible for the community at large. hmmmm.

EDIT: To add something useful, would it be possible to check for reserved slots BEFORE loading everything else. It might be a smidge of extra work for UWE but no one would care if it didn't take time to load before it kicked you.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Sigh. Untrue, uninformed, and unwanted.
    edited March 2013
    amoral wrote: »

i'd agree with sixty too, if i could blacklist them. one could make the exact same argument for hackers. "it's their game, let them play how they want." see how ridiculous it is? they invade my server list, they invade newer players' server lists. And we have to learn, in an extremely aggravating fashion, to completely avoid these servers. I don't want to have to memorize their names, i don't want to have this be an exercise in negative reinforcement, i want somebody to FIX IT.

Actually you can't use the excuse for hackers, But that's a different story to tell for a different time.

But it still the fact that if anyone has a problem with these server's, Ignore it! Don't come whining to a Forum, cause it will do you no good Unless your the server owner now and Have all control over the server's. I Mean don't wanna blacklist it? Have No favorite's? Favorite it! And while we are telling people how to run their server's, why don't we just Tell UWE how to make this game...[LIE] I mean I know some COD people who would most likely die for this game to turn into a Shooter VS Alien's with Laser's or something.[/LIE] Yea...No.

4 Disagree's? I..I..I Feel so special :x
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    But it still the fact that if anyone has a problem with these server's, Ignore it! Don't come whining to a Forum, cause it will do you no good

Except TG is actively trying to find a solution because people communicated their frustration. So it does do good and ignoring it isn't an option for most of the people who fall trap to it because they haven't yet learned which servers to avoid. Thanks for the constructive "shut ignore it and deal" advice though, that's WAY better than communicating with the community.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    "I pay for my beer, therefore it's my right to piss on the street."
    I was going to type something, but this says it best