Let's be thankful our community is not like this

Comments

• CyberKunCyberKun Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Posts: 336 Fully active user
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBuhwWV2-kM

That is the true PC Master Race trolling. None of this repeatedly swearing.
    Cyber_kun: Not going to invade again
    Cyber_kun: Well, least not in the area that requires you to run forever
    Lolgorgeous: np i appreciate you wasting 30 minutes of my time anyway

~~Dark Souls~~
    KwisatzHaderachGamerkatzeDC_DarklingRobotix
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Members Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Posts: 333 Advanced user
    Pistachio wrote: »
    I want my brain cells back.

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Members Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Posts: 848
    How is their behavior any different from professional athletes?
    Seriously.

Keep in mind that games like CoD: Black Ops/Blops II/MW/MW2/MW3 are geared towards jocks/frat boys.
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Members Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Posts: 135
    Can't wait to see how the two teams confront each other in Germany!
    Forum Contributions: Light (Round 2) - 10/2007
    Technology Contributions: Surround Sound Headphone Development
  • WheeeeWheeee Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Posts: 4,262 Fully active user
    i dont really care about the screaming, what pissed me off is the FPVOD showed some really crappy aim/tracking. How can people bear to play as a "pro" with crappy tracking like that.
    QUOTE (EEK)
    Don't assume that because I said something it means I actually was thinking that the core of the sun was going to be replaced with hot dogs.
  • RuntehRunteh Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Posts: 1,883
    It does nothing for the gaming scene, they should just have a swear limit and disqualification if it is either abused on purpose or the line stepped over.

I see nothing wrong with playing psychological games, shouting 'YEAH' or whatever. But this is just brainless. I have played at a couple of lans and things have never gotten like that, just some clever banter and the occasional 'YEAH' was heard.

I've never seen anything like this in professional sports. Yes, you'll occasionally get players in physical sports swearing at each other, but not at this level. There is a reason people call themselves 'professional'.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Posts: 3,912 admin
    Luhgnut wrote: »
    This was a game with developers in the chat. I don't need to listen to foul mouthed elitists playing with binary guns, telling me to "grow a pair of balls" during a casual game.

I'm really sorry that you've felt pushed away by NS2 players. Obviously there are bad apples in any community but the majority experience that I've seen is of a community that is far more welcoming and patient with new players than is typically expected of FPS multiplayer communities. I hope you'll give it another go and get a better experience but in the meantime we're sorry to have lost you as a player.

I am nonetheless quite concerned that you feel that developers were encouraging this sort of behaviour. I can't think of a single member of our team who would stand for it. It's possible that it was someone just claiming to be a developer (there's currently no reliable way of knowing, in-game), because I promise you it's the exact opposite of what we stand for.

Rich_Narfwakshonan
  • Rich_Rich_ Members Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Posts: 224
    wait a second. are you telling me. That i can get a console kboard/mouse. Play blops for 8 hours a day for 3 months. and win a million dollars?
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Members Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Posts: 261
    Rich_ wrote: »
    wait a second. are you telling me. That i can get a console kboard/mouse. Play blops for 8 hours a day for 3 months. and win a million dollars?
    sure :D

also that starcraft video is hilarious xDxD
    /l、
    (゚、 。 7
    l、 ~ヽ
    じしf_, )ノ [GK]
    former ENSL Admin
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below)Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Posts: 1,669 Advanced user

Still not worth it.
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    CrazyEddieRobotixKwisatzHaderachIke
  • Rich_Rich_ Members Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Posts: 224
    edited March 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Still not worth it.

I'm sure with a bit of alcohol it wouldn't be the end of the world. If i did it, i'd have to go to one of those juvenile lan tourneys in a tux with a bottle of champagne wearing a top hat and a red tie to declare my conservative views into the face of the misbehaving miscreants
    SquishpokePOOPFACERobotix
  • CrushaKCrushaK Members, NS2 Playtester Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Posts: 1,182 Advanced user
    Luhgnut wrote: »
    I've been playing video games since before you were born. Trust me on this. This was a game with developers in the chat. I don't need to listen to foul mouthed elitists playing with binary guns, telling me to "grow a pair of balls" during a casual game. Good luck with NS, but I found the Shoot-mania community much more accepting, and courteous.

Never saw any kind of that player before, but I can see where this could be coming from in case it happened on a server that wasn't advertised as rookie-friendly. With the free weekend, you get so many new players in a complex game that it can be hard to get a good game going for veteran players nowadays. This would not be the first game where veterans basically can't get a fun experience in "their" game for a period of time due to the massive influx of newbloods.
    (Unfortunately there aren't that many players nowadays who can still pick up a game quickly. During most free weekends I often feel like many of those new guys never played a videogame before, judging by their behavior.)

NS2 also isn't something I'd call a "casual game". It has a lot of complex mechanics compared to actual casual shooters and relies heavily on teamwork. And that's the point: unlike most other shooters (including Shoot-mania), you don't really stand a chance in this game if you can't utilize teamwork, which means that people also rely on you to fulfill your role properly.

You might care only about your experience here, but you also have to consider that there are also a lot of other guys on your team who will have a bad experience if you don't know what you are doing and could get a bit moody about that if it adds up with other players. It's always been this way in games that require actual team work and this amount of trust between players.
    I guess you never played a MOBA/ARTS before either because the community there would give you an even harsher reaction: with only 5 guys on a team at a time, it only takes one to mess up and feed to ruin the game for the other 4 in the team.
    In L4D would people also start to get annoyed of you if you were not reliable, often split up and don't help them up in time.

As soon as your personal performance in a game starts to impact the success and enjoyment of other players, you can count on those players to scold you if that happens in a negative way (but of course also praise you if you did well). This is the price you pay for not playing a random anonymous shooter experience.
    Suggestions:
    Tech Path of Hive actually upgrades the Hive itself
    Give Gorges telepathic control over their Bait Ball for Overlord-style commanding of Babblers

And please allow to turn rooms into emergency-lit or dark versions if infestations grows over an unbuilt or damaged power node socket.
  • countbasiecountbasie Members Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Posts: 824
    edited March 2013
    Well, it's typical behavior of young british people, nothing new. It's just a little revolting that the camera guys seem to want to have exactly that.
    I think germans give a way better example of how to behave nicely and tolerable when playing a video game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8SWMAQYQf0
    SquishpokePOOPFACE
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below)Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Posts: 1,669 Advanced user
    LOL, Unreal Tournament kid never gets old.
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play Natural Selection 2. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of military strategy and advanced mathematics you won't even win a single game. Theres also the game's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the game. The maps and artwork draw heavily from Riddley Scott's Alien franchise, for instance. The players understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of the game, to realise that it's not just great, that it also says something about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Natural Selection 2 truly ARE idiots. of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the Marines' existential catchphrase "how do I get to be so good", which itself is a cryptic reference to the high degree of intelligence required to play the game as intended. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion when spectating a game. What fools... how I pity them. And, yes, by the way, i DO have a Fade tatoo. And no, you cannot see it. it's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they are within 50 hive skill points of my own (preferable lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.
    Frothybeverage
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Members Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Posts: 657
    Near the end of the video, he's clearly using a keyboard macro to do rapid-fire pistol shots.

Such disgraceful behavior.
    SquishpokePOOPFACETharos
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Members Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Posts: 1,123
    edited March 2013
    i guess i'm in the minority of people who think that behaviour is awesome... trash talking / banter at its finest.

it does get heated sometimes like @ 4:25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvrTVn_qF30&t=4m25s
    but it shows passion - come on we don't want everyone to turn into japanese/korean mute & mannered savants... it's boring.

pretty much every evo event in the last 10 years has had loads of trash talking. it's fun :P
  • PistachioPistachio Members Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Posts: 141 Advanced user
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    i guess i'm in the minority of people who think that behaviour is awesome... trash talking / banter at its finest.

Batman and Joker banter. There is no wit here.
    ~Otis B. Driftwood
  • XaoXao Members Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Posts: 452 Fully active user
    Don't compare FGC hype to mindless shouting and british 'banter' lads AVIN A GO AY, not even remotely the same thing. They all seem to be playing it up for the camera as well since he keeps kneeling down right in front of them for the money shots.
    Pistachio wrote: »
    tarquinbb wrote: »

Batman and Joker banter. There is no wit here.

yea but it's not an episode of 'suits' or 'the thick of it'.

real life banter and wit rarely comes close to those scripted shows. but i still think it's fun.

then again, i'm also pretty opinionated when it comes to those controlling so-and-so's who say "omg i'm shocked and deeply offended by something* that has nothing to do with me". such passive aggressive bullcrap really annoys me more than confrontational banter.

*being religion, confrontation, swearing, 'loud' people etc.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Members, NS2 Playtester Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Posts: 1,182 Advanced user

I hope people realize that the video is staged, though.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_15849_7-viral-videos-you-didnt-know-were-staged-and-how-they-did-it_p3.html
    Suggestions:
    Tech Path of Hive actually upgrades the Hive itself
    Give Gorges telepathic control over their Bait Ball for Overlord-style commanding of Babblers

And please allow to turn rooms into emergency-lit or dark versions if infestations grows over an unbuilt or damaged power node socket.
    CrushaK wrote: »

http://www.cracked.com/article_15849_7-viral-videos-you-didnt-know-were-staged-and-how-they-did-it_p3.html

bah.... next you're gonna try to tell me that fpsdoug is a phony too.
  • sjusju Members Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Posts: 78
    I don't see how people are shocked at this.. it's people venting, everyone vents in different ways and gamers often do this sort of thing, but normally it is at home and you don't know. Let's be honest, not one person who plays video games competitively can't say they've never vented or shouted at their screen.

Saying it doesn't exist in NS2 is naive, you can be assured that this is in the NS2 scene, it's in every scene, they're just nicer when it comes to congratulating the other team when they lose and then hardcore vent on their own teamspeak.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Members Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Posts: 708 Fully active user
    I didn't see anything wrong with that video.
  • countbasiecountbasie Members Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Posts: 824
    Hehe, yeah, it's funny how the media tried to make this an example of kids in danger due to video games. Obviously that kid's parents weren't at home and he had fun freaking out.
    I don't think anyone ever believed that 'secret video' story.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Posts: 4,983 mod
    edited March 2013
    But everything on the internet is true according to what I read on internet!
    Kouji_San
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The NetherlandsMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Posts: 15,782 Advanced user
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    But everything on the internet is true according to what I read on internet!

Indeed!

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" 

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly

Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue | 102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting

• amoralamoral Members Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Posts: 1,331 Advanced user
    edited March 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

it's mahvel baby. and scrub vs filipinochamp. lols
  • SteveRockSteveRock Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Posts: 486 Advanced user
    I just wanna say.... LOOK AT SCORE BITCHEZ
  • sharnrocksharnrock Members Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Posts: 209 Advanced user
    I've been involved with sports and games my entire life. I feel no need to act that way. It's just not appropriate behavior. There is this thing in sports called sportsmanship that is never taught or learned from playing console games.