Let's be thankful our community is not like this

Comments

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow

That is the true PC Master Race trolling. None of this repeatedly swearing.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Pistachio wrote: »
    I want my brain cells back.

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    How is their behavior any different from professional athletes?
    Seriously.

Keep in mind that games like CoD: Black Ops/Blops II/MW/MW2/MW3 are geared towards jocks/frat boys.
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    Can't wait to see how the two teams confront each other in Germany!
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i dont really care about the screaming, what pissed me off is the FPVOD showed some really crappy aim/tracking. How can people bear to play as a "pro" with crappy tracking like that.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It does nothing for the gaming scene, they should just have a swear limit and disqualification if it is either abused on purpose or the line stepped over.

I see nothing wrong with playing psychological games, shouting 'YEAH' or whatever. But this is just brainless. I have played at a couple of lans and things have never gotten like that, just some clever banter and the occasional 'YEAH' was heard.

I've never seen anything like this in professional sports. Yes, you'll occasionally get players in physical sports swearing at each other, but not at this level. There is a reason people call themselves 'professional'.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Luhgnut wrote: »
    This was a game with developers in the chat. I don't need to listen to foul mouthed elitists playing with binary guns, telling me to "grow a pair of balls" during a casual game.

I'm really sorry that you've felt pushed away by NS2 players. Obviously there are bad apples in any community but the majority experience that I've seen is of a community that is far more welcoming and patient with new players than is typically expected of FPS multiplayer communities. I hope you'll give it another go and get a better experience but in the meantime we're sorry to have lost you as a player.

I am nonetheless quite concerned that you feel that developers were encouraging this sort of behaviour. I can't think of a single member of our team who would stand for it. It's possible that it was someone just claiming to be a developer (there's currently no reliable way of knowing, in-game), because I promise you it's the exact opposite of what we stand for.

• Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    wait a second. are you telling me. That i can get a console kboard/mouse. Play blops for 8 hours a day for 3 months. and win a million dollars?
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    Rich_ wrote: »
    wait a second. are you telling me. That i can get a console kboard/mouse. Play blops for 8 hours a day for 3 months. and win a million dollars?
    sure :D

also that starcraft video is hilarious xDxD
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Still not worth it.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    edited March 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Still not worth it.

I'm sure with a bit of alcohol it wouldn't be the end of the world. If i did it, i'd have to go to one of those juvenile lan tourneys in a tux with a bottle of champagne wearing a top hat and a red tie to declare my conservative views into the face of the misbehaving miscreants
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Luhgnut wrote: »
    I've been playing video games since before you were born. Trust me on this. This was a game with developers in the chat. I don't need to listen to foul mouthed elitists playing with binary guns, telling me to "grow a pair of balls" during a casual game. Good luck with NS, but I found the Shoot-mania community much more accepting, and courteous.

Never saw any kind of that player before, but I can see where this could be coming from in case it happened on a server that wasn't advertised as rookie-friendly. With the free weekend, you get so many new players in a complex game that it can be hard to get a good game going for veteran players nowadays. This would not be the first game where veterans basically can't get a fun experience in "their" game for a period of time due to the massive influx of newbloods.
    (Unfortunately there aren't that many players nowadays who can still pick up a game quickly. During most free weekends I often feel like many of those new guys never played a videogame before, judging by their behavior.)

NS2 also isn't something I'd call a "casual game". It has a lot of complex mechanics compared to actual casual shooters and relies heavily on teamwork. And that's the point: unlike most other shooters (including Shoot-mania), you don't really stand a chance in this game if you can't utilize teamwork, which means that people also rely on you to fulfill your role properly.

You might care only about your experience here, but you also have to consider that there are also a lot of other guys on your team who will have a bad experience if you don't know what you are doing and could get a bit moody about that if it adds up with other players. It's always been this way in games that require actual team work and this amount of trust between players.
    I guess you never played a MOBA/ARTS before either because the community there would give you an even harsher reaction: with only 5 guys on a team at a time, it only takes one to mess up and feed to ruin the game for the other 4 in the team.
    In L4D would people also start to get annoyed of you if you were not reliable, often split up and don't help them up in time.

As soon as your personal performance in a game starts to impact the success and enjoyment of other players, you can count on those players to scold you if that happens in a negative way (but of course also praise you if you did well). This is the price you pay for not playing a random anonymous shooter experience.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited March 2013
    Well, it's typical behavior of young british people, nothing new. It's just a little revolting that the camera guys seem to want to have exactly that.
    I think germans give a way better example of how to behave nicely and tolerable when playing a video game.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    LOL, Unreal Tournament kid never gets old.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Near the end of the video, he's clearly using a keyboard macro to do rapid-fire pistol shots.

Such disgraceful behavior.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    i guess i'm in the minority of people who think that behaviour is awesome... trash talking / banter at its finest.

it does get heated sometimes like @ 4:25

but it shows passion - come on we don't want everyone to turn into japanese/korean mute & mannered savants... it's boring.

pretty much every evo event in the last 10 years has had loads of trash talking. it's fun :P
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    i guess i'm in the minority of people who think that behaviour is awesome... trash talking / banter at its finest.

Batman and Joker banter. There is no wit here.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Don't compare FGC hype to mindless shouting and british 'banter' lads AVIN A GO AY, not even remotely the same thing. They all seem to be playing it up for the camera as well since he keeps kneeling down right in front of them for the money shots.
    Pistachio wrote: »
    tarquinbb wrote: »

Batman and Joker banter. There is no wit here.

yea but it's not an episode of 'suits' or 'the thick of it'.

real life banter and wit rarely comes close to those scripted shows. but i still think it's fun.

then again, i'm also pretty opinionated when it comes to those controlling so-and-so's who say "omg i'm shocked and deeply offended by something* that has nothing to do with me". such passive aggressive bullcrap really annoys me more than confrontational banter.

*being religion, confrontation, swearing, 'loud' people etc.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

I hope people realize that the video is staged, though.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_15849_7-viral-videos-you-didnt-know-were-staged-and-how-they-did-it_p3.html
    CrushaK wrote: »

http://www.cracked.com/article_15849_7-viral-videos-you-didnt-know-were-staged-and-how-they-did-it_p3.html

bah.... next you're gonna try to tell me that fpsdoug is a phony too.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    I don't see how people are shocked at this.. it's people venting, everyone vents in different ways and gamers often do this sort of thing, but normally it is at home and you don't know. Let's be honest, not one person who plays video games competitively can't say they've never vented or shouted at their screen.

Saying it doesn't exist in NS2 is naive, you can be assured that this is in the NS2 scene, it's in every scene, they're just nicer when it comes to congratulating the other team when they lose and then hardcore vent on their own teamspeak.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I didn't see anything wrong with that video.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Hehe, yeah, it's funny how the media tried to make this an example of kids in danger due to video games. Obviously that kid's parents weren't at home and he had fun freaking out.
    I don't think anyone ever believed that 'secret video' story.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    But everything on the internet is true according to what I read on internet!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    But everything on the internet is true according to what I read on internet!

Indeed!
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited March 2013

it's mahvel baby. and scrub vs filipinochamp. lols
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I just wanna say.... LOOK AT SCORE BITCHEZ
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    I've been involved with sports and games my entire life. I feel no need to act that way. It's just not appropriate behavior. There is this thing in sports called sportsmanship that is never taught or learned from playing console games.