free weekend - veterans play as much as possible!

derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
all of you, who think that you know enough about the game to teach
and help other people, go out and play this weekend as much as possible.

just join servers full of green rookies and work with em together,
so as many as possible stay with us.

introduce em to our nice community in a nice way,
so the learn to behave like friendly people again.

most of em are coming from rotten communities
and are not used to normal friendly helpful talking ppl.

so get out and spread what makes our community so special!!

i just went to such a server and we really got a nice game going.
i was the only not green named person and had quite a time,
telling the ppl that lerks can fly and should always keep distance and stuff
really helped them :)

also teaching a newbie commander the basics,
changes a lot...

just go out, be nice and enjoy the breeze of being a helpful person :)

Comments

• SleekSleek Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182709Members
    Will try. Can only do this for so long before I need to alt-f4 and vent!
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    I have been doing so.

I even give the opposing players tips.
    Ie:
    Don't be a floor skulk.
    Don't charge at a marine from across the room.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Sleek wrote: »
    Will try. Can only do this for so long before I need to alt-f4 and vent!
    Then you wouldn't like being at the booth at PAX. 8 hours a day for three days, that's all I do :-P

I find teaching new players lots of fun.. mostly because I get to see them hooked when they get to enjoy the finer parts of ns2 and the very things responsible for why we all love it so much. You get to see their smiles and reactions in person though, which is a nice incentive.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    And for the love of all things decent on earth, don't stack the teams against the rookies on green servers. At least try to even yourselves out across the teams, even if random isn't helping. As the guy who played against the regulars of a server I frequent with nothing but rookies, I can say with certainty that this is no fun for half of the server population.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Amongst all my steam friends I had only one who actually enjoys butthurt filled game like red orchestra and arma (they others are more TF2, BF3, L4D players), and he was so butthurt about NS2, he decided no to go on. He was on all green aliens while I was marine, we steamrolled them with exos and arcs. Other friend on my team actually liked that match. Gotta convince first one to play again and be on my team, but this will be hard :D
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    I've been khammanding nearly every game, trying to give them tips and tricks and the like. Plus, it's a good way for me to practice being a khamm in a relatively low-stress situation.

I tried being a marine commander, but it's hopeless. They didn't build anything and just ran around the map randomly.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    I'm seeing a lot of veterans stacking marines on green servers. Had to boot a few from my server who were completely abusing green skulks. If you're a vet and you want to help, try aliens and get the greens off the ground. Most greens can get a handle on marines, but it is absolutely atrocious with the skulks.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yea, the shortest way to see these rooks not pick up the game is by stomping them as marines to be honest. Aliens are already incredibly difficult to pick up and play for a novice player, the last thing they need is some 'pro players' just outright stomping them on top of that.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I always play as much NS2 as possible \m/

I had a few games yesterday, but unfortunately most Rookies were very unresponsive.
    I tried to explain to one new marine comm why it is REALLY important to have an ops up asap and also to research phase tech early for mobility. I stood in base and talked for around ten minutes explaining basic functions about this and that... Then, someone on the team told me the comm was Russian and doesn't understand anything of what I said. He then proceeded to translate a few things and around late mid-game we had our first functioning pg! :D

Overall, I find it hard to give advice when there are no responses at all and the ppl don't seem to pick up on what I say. It starts to feel like I'm patronizing stubborn pupils :-B. Probably I was just unlucky with "my" rookies though.
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    After 8 hours of noob teaching - i am finally going to sleep.
    NO DONT ATTACK ALONE!!!!!! Oh wait... still having flashbacks.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Tyrsis wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of veterans stacking marines on green servers. Had to boot a few from my server who were completely abusing green skulks. If you're a vet and you want to help, try aliens and get the greens off the ground. Most greens can get a handle on marines, but it is absolutely atrocious with the skulks.

They were doing it before free weekend. Everyone stacks marines these days. Before it was not as bad because skulks actually had a better chance with their movement. I went alien today with a bunch of greens and saw vets stack the other side stomping the team and then saying insulting remarks at the end. Pretty ridiculous.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    They were doing it before free weekend. Everyone stacks marines these days. Before it was not as bad because skulks actually had a better chance with their movement. I went alien today with a bunch of greens and saw vets stack the other side stomping the team and then saying insulting remarks at the end. Pretty ridiculous.

Yeah it's pretty horrible. I'm pretty much playing alien exclusively to try and balance things out as much as I can. If I'm becoming too overpowering I just gorge. I find I can easily get greens to follow me around as skulk, and as long as they follow on the walls and jump with me, it seems to work out pretty decently. Sort of like real player babblers.

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    yeah there were a bunch of rookies on the balance test mod server last night. literally 75% of the server was green.

they were enjoying the game, but not aided by the really punishing skulk/fade movement in that mod (marines losing almost every round within 3 minutes).

that's why modded servers should be filtered by default :P
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    We should have more combat servers to be honest, there's a reason why it became immensely popular in NS 1. And it's a great way to teach newbies how to play.
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm ready for a three-day service :)
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    Yeah, there's no way i'm playing this game during a free weekend
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Did my duty, commanded several rounds on marines and aliens on a full rookie server, stomped the other team hard every time. So they know at least that the factions are not imbalanced. :>
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I ran into a ton of green players last night and I was glad to see many asking questions rather than just running off and dying pointlessly until they quit. There needs to be a loading screen tip that says "New to the game? Ask the other players questions!".

I don't have the patience to command the greenies but I do my best to explain clearly where they should go and why.

"No guys, don't bother eating that power in north tunnels of mineshaft..."
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shaker wrote: »
    "No guys, don't bother eating that power in north tunnels of mineshaft..."

"No, we don't need to worry about the bubbles on the ground right now..."

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I have tried to play commander exclussively too, the problem is that there are servers full of green players and no commanders - so someone hops in, does not know what to do, and the round is over before it even starts. Having a commander at least gives people a chance to taste the game, to experience the combat, try the advanced toys, and so on.

I even had games where both sides had researched everything, and sort of coexisted together, because nobody knew how to attack effectively.

For a new player, the game is really, really fast, with lots of on-screen clutter, and without being trained to filter the info, it's overwhelming.

It's also important to explain even the most basic things, like how to use new evolution traits, which weapon does what, how it's important to check the map, and so on.
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    Tyrsis wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty horrible. I'm pretty much playing alien exclusively to try and balance things out as much as I can. If I'm becoming too overpowering I just gorge. I find I can easily get greens to follow me around as skulk, and as long as they follow on the walls and jump with me, it seems to work out pretty decently. Sort of like real player babblers.

Some of us can massacre the marines as skulk as well, so I'm not sure why joining marines or aliens matters, at all.

I played for 5 minutes, killed 20-30 people, logged off. I'll play again when it's not like this.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    derWalter wrote: »
    most of em are coming from rotten communities
    and are not used to normal friendly helpful talking ppl.

QFT
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My favourite phrase of the moment is "No, no sentries. Not now, not ever. This isn't the film Aliens: THEY DO NOT WORK LIKE THAT"
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited March 2013
    Also, remember:

You should always give advice but never make demands. Everyone has to do poorly on their own a few times in order to learn how to do well.

People appreciate help, but they also resent being told what to do.
  • MrNihilMrNihil Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183524Members
    I just got one tip: Force them to watch at least one commander video before one is allowed to take seat :( Its cool to learn - but learning is doing and not sitting there and having no idea what the hell happens.
    But its cool anyway.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I strongly agree on OP, forget the winning thingy, help them in. We need more players.

This week end, admit "rookie friendly servers" as learning servers.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow