This is what the server list looks like for me often

mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
2hdpjmf.jpg

I know it has filter modded there checked I'm not sure why, probably because I tend to alt F4 quit as this game is so incredibly slow just to exit, but either way unchecking it makes no difference. It's obviously not prime hours where I'm at, but the list is pretty much always this bleak. I can't even play on servers like king kahuna where I get a little over 100 ping which sadly causes too much rubberbanding for my taste, so I'm stuck trying to find at least a server in green, and there's pretty much nothing left.

But really, it's difficult to continue playing NS2 when you can't even find a playable server half the time, I know it's not that simple but making it more bearable to play on a server that isn't green ping is something that needs to be figured out, because there's a seriously limited number of servers around me and they are always either empty or full.

Comments

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    Did you have a question? Where do you live? What's your connection like?

Edit: This is my list, from just a second ago in Europe. That's filtering rookie servers of which there are about as many but I already can't fit any more servers in one screenshot and the list continues.
    http://i.imgur.com/613siQd.jpg
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members
    Filter full filters away a lot of servers. It looks like you're in the North America region based on your pings. I just checked the list myself and I came up with 5 non-modded, non-full, non-EU servers versus your 2. I had a stricter ping limit so my list doesn't include European servers unlike yours.

My list: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/577858037098084411/BBEA5F5487147141C528736043EB3D6506338C6E/

It looks like either something is bad with your connection or the game itself. The server list definitely isn't as bleak as it appears to be.
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    What? Your list shows how many playable servers right now? The 15/20 server I tried, not really a decent game going on, not to mention that's yellow ping. I clock around 20mbps down 1 up, I'm in Los Angeles. So yea, the central servers like that one, the chicago one, I get rubberbanding on when fading, etc.

So that leaves the 32 man server (lol), and a 7/20 metalgamers which seems to have performance issues when I tried it in the past.

That's not bleak?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @mclawls

Not sure which times your trying to play, but best server population times for US-West are normal afterhours times (e.g. after 5pm PST). Otherwise, you'll have to expand your filters a bit to either a i) higher ping limit, ii) lower server performance, or iii) full servers where you wait to join.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited March 2013
    I pretty much have the same list of servers as the one Minimum posted (I'm east coast US). It's really hard to get a game, especially if you want to play a reasonable sized game like maybe 16p or lower. I have no idea where all the players are hanging out, there aren't many more options that are not full/empty even when you don't filter ping.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I often play in the and around 11pm-5am pst. I usually have that many or less servers. I filter less things than you but for me the problem is finding not empty servers with decent ping, or go up to 150+ping servers. I understand your woes.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Take off your filter modded checkbox, the mods on the populated servers are mostly harmless like ns2stats, player badges, etc. The UT announcer voice can get annoying, but it's not enough to make me stop playing.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    You guys should see what the server list looks like in Brazil. It's sad. I'll take a screenshot tonight just so you get an idea.

EDIT: there we go.

No filters, sorted by ping: http://i.imgur.com/I95FpMM.jpg
    Filtering out all empty servers: http://i.imgur.com/vvfW87R.jpg

I have to get used to lag and listen to complaints about it because nobody seems to be playing the game in my country anymore except competitive teams.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    @mclawls

Not sure which times your trying to play, but best server population times for US-West are normal afterhours times (e.g. after 5pm PST). Otherwise, you'll have to expand your filters a bit to either a i) higher ping limit, ii) lower server performance, or iii) full servers where you wait to join.
    Especially on weekdays, most often people sack out at around midnight, maybe 1 am if there's some good games going.

Try unchecking filter full for sure. Most often servers with people will be full, so you have to wait a little bit for a space. I rarely have trouble finding a game in the evening (East US here) and even some times at lunch. Occasionally I have to compromise and go on a 24 man server, but not often.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited March 2013
    How is Mavick's pub server not on your list?

You should remove "filter full" from your filters and reduce "server performance' filter. Sometimes a server has reduced performance for a few seconds, but overall is good and would not show up on your list.

Anyway, I get far more servers on my list than you do... i'll upload a screenshot.
  • sumo0sumo0 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164543Members
    you're welcome to come to northern Europe where we have an abundance of servers.
    If you really can't find games you could always consider buying your own server and use it for NS2 (if you have the money).
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Res wrote: »
    How is Mavick's pub server not on your list?

You should remove "filter full" from your filters and reduce "server performance' filter. Sometimes a server has reduced performance for a few seconds, but overall is good and would not show up on your list.

Anyway, I get far more servers on my list than you do... i'll upload a screenshot.

Because Mavick's pub is full 90% of the time.

I'm surprised you aren't seeing any of the 16/18, 18/20-21, 22/25 reserved slot bullshit servers out there. They are almost starting to outnumber clean ones.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Stop filtering full servers and then saying there are none available please.

...If that's what you were talking about? (Tbh at first I thought you were complaining about the text running over itself).
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    How do servers go from empty to full?

I know that when I'm looking for a game, I don't want to join a server that has three people on it. And of course I can't join a full one. So I'm constantly looking for servers with a slot or two open, but not TOO MANY slots open.

But all those full and nearly-full servers had to be empty at some point. Who are the hapless souls who sit around in a server waiting for another five people to join so that they can do something besides play hide-and-seek?
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Usually server regs who will seed a server in the morning. Drink some coffee, run around the ready room, wait to start a horribly stacked 1v1 with silly strats. I used to do that every day on my favorite server in NS1 since I liked to play in the morning before work.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Tinker wrote: »
    Usually server regs who will seed a server in the morning. Drink some coffee, run around the ready room, wait to start a horribly stacked 1v1 with silly strats. I used to do that every day on my favorite server in NS1 since I liked to play in the morning before work.
    This.

Its not uncommon to just idle in a server and do something else till people join. Depending on the time and day, it can happen pretty quickly (e.g. think evenings/weekends).
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, you need a community for seeding. Almost every day when I get home from work I jump into the DFA server and throw invites at everyone on my list, or someone else from DFA has already done so and throws an invite at me. Sometimes it takes a while, but usually once the initial seeding is done, the server stays full for several hours.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I'm sorry, do you ask where all the servers are when you filter full servers? Did I get this right?
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    countbasie wrote: »
    I'm sorry, do you ask where all the servers are when you filter full servers? Did I get this right?

I'm sorry, can you read?
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited March 2013
    Yes, I think I read that servers in your region are empty or full most of the time. So why don't you double click a full one, make yourself a coffee or something and play on a full server after 1-5 minutes?
    I didn't mean to offend you, I just don't see the problem here. What does your server list look like when you don't filter full servers?
  • tdunc-tdunc- Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179214Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, you need a community for seeding. Almost every day when I get home from work I jump into the DFA server and throw invites at everyone on my list, or someone else from DFA has already done so and throws an invite at me. Sometimes it takes a while, but usually once the initial seeding is done, the server stays full for several hours.

Exactly...

You'll see us nL guys idling all the time... we really only play in our pubs while waiting for scrims/gathers.

I might be putting up one more server in Seattle in the next few days, as at peak times it can take 15-20 minutes to join my server.. (the one at the top of the list there)