Server Running Votekick/Votemap and More without Mods

jorgamunjorgamun Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183703Members
On the CompleteBreakfast server we're testing new functionality for votekick and votemap without any mods installed and would love to have your help in seeing if there are any bugs.

CompleteBreakfast (Rookie Friendly)
74.63.223.101:34220
Dallas Host
No mods

Votemap takes place throughout the whole round and is achieved by typing the name of the map you'd like to vote for. At the end of the round, there's a 20 second period to tie up the votes and then the map changes.

To votekick, type "votekick <name>" where <name> is an identifying string from the offending player.

All commands in chat should work whether you use teamsay or allsay.

Comments

• molloymolloy Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184069Members
    Sweet! I'll be on later tonight to help test it out.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Since votekick and votemap are not in NS2, by definition, running them on your server in any form means your running mods.
  • jorgamunjorgamun Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183703Members
    Your pedantry aside, we are not a modded server. As in, a workshop mod / mod that modifies any game files / mod that causes the modded flag to be ticked.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    jorgamun wrote: »
    Your pedantry aside, we are not a modded server. As in, a workshop mod / mod that modifies any game files / mod that causes the modded flag to be ticked.

By definition of the word modified, you are in fact running a "modded" server regardless of the fact that it doesn't show up in the browser as such. The flag is only set when you run a workshop mod so you can very easily make a server side mod (DAK is a good example) that needs no client interaction to work and as such doesn't actually get flagged.

Regardless, I'm sure a lot of other people would be interested in this mod, so please do the community a favor and release it on the workshop if it already hasn't been.

edited March 2013
    invTempest wrote: »
    jorgamun wrote: »

By definition of the word modified, you are in fact running a "modded" server regardless of the fact that it doesn't show up in the browser as such. The flag is only set when you run a workshop mod so you can very easily make a server side mod (DAK is a good example) that needs no client interaction to work and as such doesn't actually get flagged.

Regardless, I'm sure a lot of other people would be interested in this mod, so please do the community a favor and release it on the workshop if it already hasn't been.

It doesn't touch the game in a way that an admin can't do by himself with console commands. There's nothing extra running serverside, and nothing is modified. The effects on the game are equivalent to a super vigilant admin. So in a way it's a mod, but in many it's not as well. That's what I meant - pedantry aside.

I'm holding off on releasing it until I'm sure there are no exploits and it is fully feature rich and fully configurable. Some more planned features:

* Automatic ping kicking
    * Vote randomize teams
    * Enforced Randomization (once random is initiated, prevent people from just readyrooming and restacking anyway)
    * Vote temporary ban
    * Name restriction (for clan tags and offensive content)
    * Chat filter punishing
    * External notification to admins when someone calls for them
    * Chat logging
    * Simple player stat logging
    * Periodic in-chat adverts (stuff like "Join our TeamSpeak at host:port!" set by admin)

Also we just tested it and it seems that votemap and votekick are working fully as intended without bugs so far.
    edited March 2013
    Whoops, this comment was supposed to be an edit to the previous. I wish I could delete it.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Sounds good - keep working on it. :]
    invTempest wrote: »

Release it: Yes.
    On Workshop: No thanks.

There have to be more independent mods & NS2 should have its own mod&map downloader.

Workshop should be optional at best, for a number of reasons.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Security wrote: »
    I'd prefer both if possible. The current steam workshop implementation isn't great, but it'll be improved in time. The benefit and ease of steam workshop mod distribution is pretty great, except for the modded server flag in the server browser.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited March 2013
    jorgamun:

When is vote kick needed?
    I mean eject comm is one thing, but the amount of griefing one person can do is quite low

Any real damage done to a game in progress should result in a ban, but this middle road amuses me
    So what are the possible targets assuming I won't run into barbaric, mob mentality playing on your server?

-
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members

I'm curious to know what those reasons are.
    jorgamun:

When is vote kick needed?
    I mean eject comm is one thing, but the amount of griefing one person can do is quite low

Any real damage done to a game in progress should result in a ban, but this middle road amuses me
    So what are the possible targets assuming I won't run into barbaric, mob mentality playing on your server?

-

Actually I have it configured where a votekick administers a 30 minute ban at the moment. I'm glad you asked about its purpose, though.

Last night a player joined Marines and was constantly typing into allchat what all Marine activity was. He was quickly votekicked.

Two days ago a player was throwing around insults like he had a personal grudge against everyone, and was seriously ruining the fun for some rookies by relentlessly attacking them in chat. It would have come in handy then had I not been there.

A few days before that, some Brazilian player figured out how to get outside of the map and shoot spikes into it. He was banned, but had I not been there I'd like the players to have a way to deal with it.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    I'd prefer both if possible. The current steam workshop implementation isn't great, but it'll be improved in time. The benefit and ease of steam workshop mod distribution is pretty great, except for the modded server flag in the server browser.

It can't be loaded like a normal Mod, so I'm not sure if I could even upload it to the Workshop. I don't know how the subscription would work for it, but I have no experience with it. It is a standalone application.

We'll be testing the VoteRandom and High Ping Kicker functionalities tonight. If anyone wants to join us/give feedback, find us at our Steam Community Group.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »

I'm curious to know what those reasons are.

Have a look at my posts here and here.

Posted months ago - still unresolved.
    edited March 2013
    So VoteRandom seems to be working, though a few aspects of it remain to be tested.

I actually did the logic for it without using sv_rrall and sv_randomall, because they seem broken. Since sv_randomall doesn't swap people that are already on teams, first you would do sv_rrall... but sv_rrall doesn't play nicely when you do it right before randomization. What you get is randomization, and then everyone is dumped in the ready room.