So marines are using pistol as their main weapon now.

Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
As more and more marine players are catching on to the pistol script abuse, they've rather hilariously started using the pistol as their main weapon, keeping their LMG/ Shotgun as secondary. I find this both hilarious and extremely infuriating and kind of really sad at the same time.

There was an entire marine push in summit earlier running to data core with nothing but pistols, I had to laugh out loud when it happened, but once I got a minute to think and reflect on this, I... Kind of... Just closed down the client.

Has anyone else seen this bizarre phenomenon?

Have UW made an official statement about this abuse and potential consequences/ fix?

Comments

• GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    Meh, idk if they can fix scripting... like people changing skins to make them stand out more...
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited March 2013
    Even with a script to fire all 10 bullets instantly which I'm pretty sure is impossible, pistols aren't really that good. 250 light damage per reload means they can only kill one skulk per clip and can't kill anything higher even if all 10 hit. I also don't believe the scripts are all that common, considering I personally can't even find them through google. More than likely what you actually had was a very stacked game where the marines were basically goofing off because they knew they would win anyway.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    Grizeen wrote: »
    Meh, idk if they can fix scripting... like people changing skins to make them stand out more...

Of course they can. You can't make a "bite script" for the Skulk, because there is a hard cooldown on bite. Just like pistol needs.

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited March 2013
    Hell you don't even need a script... some keyboards/mice have the functionality to do the same thing as what a script can accomplish in this regards.
    considering I personally can't even find them through google

Pretty sure you can also use autohotkey program if you want to make a script for it.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited March 2013
    It's not their damage it's the TTK (time to kill) is something like 0.4 seconds to unload 10 pistol bullets on a script, someone with pink models sees you peek around a corner for half a second and you're dead, incredibly aggravating for most people once they realise the person isn't even clicking his mouse to fire those shots. Catching lerks floating in mid air or scripting a fade retreating down a hallway who lost his armour, 250dmg in half a second is a lot of damage especially if more than one person is firing a script down it, scripters easily pick up 5-10+ kills in each round of NS2 that they wouldn't have got without a script or they wouldn't do it.

Carefully waiting 5-10 seconds or baiting a marine to fire out all his LMG, he jumps and pulls out pistol and you're one bite off the kill and he fires 5-6 pistol rounds in half a second to obliterate you also is not fun or difficult for a person using scripts, 9/10 of the pistol scripters on Monash server in Australia normally bait this stuff out as an extra 'fuck you' to normal players.

It also opens the window that if people are using third party programs, whether mouse driver programs for GAMING™ MOUSES™ or macro programs like autoit or autohotkey, what else are they using for an advantage over people, do they just simply stop and be content with automatic pistols, why even bother in a competitively dead game to begin with.

edit: ignore the NS1 pistol on the left.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Of course they can. You can't make a "bite script" for the Skulk, because there is a hard cooldown on bite. Just like pistol needs.

Try finding the highest possible cooldown that DOESN'T stop fast clickers from actually firing that quickly. You'll find it's about the speed it is now.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    I hated the pistol nerf in NS1, but I understood it, because there was/are goobers who use scripts to fire their weapons ultramegafast for easy kills.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Try finding the highest possible cooldown that DOESN'T stop fast clickers from actually firing that quickly. You'll find it's about the speed it is now.

Amen.
    A lot of weapons have kinda hard cooldowns, why can't the pistol have one too?
    If the current one is (as proved by the video) 0.1s, make it 0.15s or 0.2s and see how it turns out for competitive players, since most pubbers won't even notice the change.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Even with a script to fire all 10 bullets instantly which I'm pretty sure is impossible, pistols aren't really that good. 250 light damage per reload means they can only kill one skulk per clip and can't kill anything higher even if all 10 hit. I also don't believe the scripts are all that common, considering I personally can't even find them through google. More than likely what you actually had was a very stacked game where the marines were basically goofing off because they knew they would win anyway.

So suppose someone unloads their rifle into you and then hits you 10 times with a pistol?

Anyway, I think I might have been in that marine team you're talking about, OP? We had no comm in both games and took out the aliens on first rush. I don't know if anyone was scripting, but it['s terribly easy for marines to overwhelm the aliens on a server with high numbers
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I'm not sure why the developers have not acted on this.

I run in to so many blatant pistol script/ mouse/kb macro users in Aus it's ridiculous.
    Hell they might as well just change the way the pistol works so that it fires one slug equivalent to 10 bullets to save every one the 20 seconds it will take them to program their mouse.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Metal Handkerchief:

I played like this for a very long time (also I don't need the script)

At some point though your aim will be good enough that it will be more worth your while to stay be on LMG first for a better chance of staying alive
    (or getting more dmg/kills per encounter)
  • coldsmokecoldsmoke Join Date: 2004-07-28 Member: 30202Members
    All these people crying about "abuse" are just people who are jealous they cant aim good enough to dominate with a pistol.

The pistol is a powerful weapon. Working as intended.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members

Why does it matter how fast you can click?

What should matter is how fast a fast shooter can fire his gun IRL.

Any game needs suspension of disbelief, you know that as well as I do, marines are still supposed to be just humans and they need to function as such.
    What REALLY matters in this game about space marines vs space animals with butthole flowers that teleport you into extradimensional tunnels, is how fast a fast shooter can shoot his gun IRL. Right.

How mature.

Because if every game mechanic was as patently impossible IRL as the pistol empty rate w/script, we would be having so. Much. Fun.

I'm sure if the aliens discover a hack that allows gorges to blink tomorrow you will be just as happy, hmm?

Using tools outside the game to gain advantage is abuse whether you think so or not.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not saying that pistol scripts are ok. I'm saying that how fast someone can fire a gun in real life does not matter at all in a video game that has extra-dimensional butthole flowers.
    edited March 2013
    I'm not saying that pistol scripts are ok. I'm saying that how fast someone can fire a gun in real life does not matter at all in a video game that has extra-dimensional butthole flowers.

Sure it does. A game can be as crazy as it wants to, but without any semblance of adherence to real physics, it may as well be a picasso painting. (Unless kwazy physics is a design point of the game)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    All I've gotta say is, the first time I get sniped in 0.5sec with a pistol macro, I'm gonna go into my mouse driver settings and queue +10 M1's into mbutton 4.
    coldsmoke wrote: »
    All these people crying about "abuse" are just people who are jealous they cant aim good enough to dominate with a pistol.

Also you are dumb.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Why does it matter how fast you can click?

What should matter is how fast a fast shooter can fire his gun IRL.

Any game needs suspension of disbelief, you know that as well as I do, marines are still supposed to be just humans and they need to function as such.

This is a GAME it shouldn't be how fast a marine can pull a trigger, it should be how fast someone can press a button.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    edited March 2013

What REALLY matters in this game about space marines vs space animals with butthole flowers that teleport you into extradimensional tunnels, is how fast a fast shooter can shoot his gun IRL. Right.

Also:

impressive

the difference between reality and gaming though is that in reality it takes years of practice and alot of hard work in order to even come close to shooting that fast .... in gaming .... it takes 20 seconds reconfiguring your mouse.

• HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    Pistol scripting was an issue in the first game. How would you not expect retards to do the same thing in NS2...
    It's cheating. But because we can't really do anything about it, people using them are convinced they're not.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    coldsmoke wrote: »

fry.jpg
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    It would be funny if UWE left the rate of fire alone but just added recoil that increased with each added bullet fired in X time. As fast as it can be fired, the first bullet hits dead center, the 10th would miss an onos point blank. It would still allow a person to finish off a skulk chomping on them with 3 or 4 quick shots but rid the game of machine pistol sniping down long hallways.

I've got a macro capable mouse but won't ever bother using it to cheese the pistol. When I use the pistol finish off a skulk I'll fire the first 4 or 5 shots fast, then actually take care to aim with the last part of the clip, and more often than not, the latter bullets get the kill.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    BentRing wrote: »
    It would be funny if UWE left the rate of fire alone but just added recoil that increased with each added bullet fired in X time. As fast as it can be fired, the first bullet hits dead center, the 10th would miss an onos point blank. It would still allow a person to finish off a skulk chomping on them with 3 or 4 quick shots but rid the game of machine pistol sniping down long hallways.

I've got a macro capable mouse but won't ever bother using it to cheese the pistol. When I use the pistol finish off a skulk I'll fire the first 4 or 5 shots fast, then actually take care to aim with the last part of the clip, and more often than not, the latter bullets get the kill.
    Recoil would be an interesting counter, it would take away the pistols ability to snipe far away things quickly but I think it'd reconfigure the pistol to be more of what it was meant to be. I'd be up for some recoil on my pistol (but not much).
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    no recoil. it's basically anti-ns1 and ns2. if anything, make a delay.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited March 2013
    I've encountered numerous pistol scripters during my time playing NS2 and even NS1, and I must say that I don't explicitly find it to be a problem.

After hundreds upon hundreds of hours played, I can confidently say that I have been killed because of a pistol script maybe 15-20 times. However, I have lived numerous times because good aimers who use pistol scripts expend all their ammo instantly, while I simply evade the shot.

Sure, at those times when you're about to bite someone for the third time, and they instantly unload an entire clip into you, it can be annoying. But for the most part, I really don't find a mode of firing that doesn't allow you to be reactive with your aim to be a beneficial thing.

However, I don't have this same opinion when it comes to competitive games. So long as players there blatantly use pistol scripts in front of hundreds of spectators, while the referees do nothing, then this kind of stuff won't stop.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm sure UWE will implement a better firing speed cap on the pistol in the future.

Personally, I hope to see some kind of revolver, high damage and slow firing. Perhaps it'll show up as a mod one day. As of right now the pistol is basically an extension to the LMG pretty much.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    After toying with a script, I have to say I only fire the gun about 25 milliseconds sooner than left clicking because of latency. Go develop a script and play with it. You'll learn the script can and does break often due to latency of a server, and higher ping servers the script will send too many commands to quickly and not work correctly.

Typically speaking it's only slightly easier to aim, because if you miss the "first bullet" you're going to miss all of them.

It's easier, for me personally, to land bullets left clicking quickly because I can "stop" firing. When you press a script, it's done. It shoots all the ammo assuming the script works and it reloads or changes guns. That's about it.

I think this script issue is being over portrayed by people who haven't tried to scrip themselves or attempted to get -good- at fast clicking the pistol. If you haven't spent some amount of time doing both, you don't deserve to comment on it.

Also it may take 20 seconds to make a script, but some amount of time longer to make a script that consistently works even with moderately high pings (100ish)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Lol at the silly 'butt flowers make irl pistol arguments flawed' ... which is of course flawed.

We ARN'T firing a butt flower, it's a PISTOL, fired by a virtual MARINE. Even the story background states 'Aliens have similar nano tech to Marines, making nano space weapons ineffective, forcing a lower/older nano tech combat loadout'

SO, uhm, pistols ... not equal to butt flowers. Game story ... more related to 'IRL' than butt flowers are to pistol firing rates, in game or not.

Plus, flowers arn't a plants butt, it's, er, close to that anatomicaly but not close at all physiologically. Might want to sort out that misunderstanding before you get a nasty surprise from your gf whilst you are sleeping.