[Build 0.9.5] ns2_prison (04/04-2020)

Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
edited April 2020 in Mapping
[list][b]Map has been published on the steam workshop[/b], click here: [url]https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1267752913[/url] MOD ID: 4B905FD1[/list] [list]<div>[list][b]LATEST CHANGES; 04/04-2020.[/b][/list]</div>[list][b] - Renamed O-liver to O-scar[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Renamed Armory to Loadout.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Renamed Prison Defenses to Headquarters.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Added a new hallway to the corridor between Headquarters and Ventilation[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Added a New Ventilation Route towards Generator, going from Headquarters, bypassing Ventilation.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Finished Detailing all the Ventilation Routes, including the new ones.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Readded some tables and flipped them as makeshift cover in Cantina.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Closed off the two exits, in the side of Isolation TP room.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Added more cover and changed Routing in Gen Pop.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Added some steel to the backdrop of Gen Pop rock wall, to make skulks stand out more.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Added blockage to the top of servers in Headquarters, to prevent marines JP'ing between them.[/b][/list]
[list][b] - Removed ladders in Ventilation.[/b][/list]
<div>[list][b] - Further improvements to CommanderInvisible and mini-map.[/b][/list]

[list][b]Minimap:[/b][/list]

[list][img]<a rel="nofollow" href="https://i.ibb.co/bgTJRNM/image.png">https://i.ibb.co/bgTJRNM/image.png</a>[/img][/list]

[list]
I started work on it in december 2012, and I am now detailing the map, for a final release, please continue to provide feedback, to ensure that the map will work it's best, when that day comes!
[/list]

[list]
[b]Roadmap:[/b]

This road map is made for you and me, so that it's easier for both parties to have a view on what's left to be done and how far the project has come.

[list][b]Project started the 22/12-12[/b][/list]

[list][b]ALPHA/BETA: Greybox, balance, timings and detailing of team starts (North & South static), state: completed after 1 major rework destroying 250 hours, total process up to this point is 600h over the course of 1 year and 3 months.[/b][/list]

[list][b]0.1 - Detailed Surveillance, completed @ 10/05-14[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.2 - Detailed Quarry, completed @ 23/05-14[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.2.5 - Detailed Med. Bay, completed @ 04/06-14[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.3 - Detailed Cantina, completed @ 26/06-14[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.3.5 - Detailed Checkpoint, completed @ 11/08-14; Detailed the art piece, completed @ 24/08-14[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.4 - Detailed Isolation, completed @ 13/03-15[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.5 - Detailed Armory, completed @ 30/03-15[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.6 - Detailed Ventilation, completed @ 22/06-15[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.6.5 - Relaunched the map with new greybox, completed @ 13/01-18[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.7 - Detailed Generator, completed @ 28/01-18[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.8 - Detailed Laundry, completed @ 04/02-20[/b][/list]
[list][b]0.9 - Detailed General Population and the four connections to the rest of the map, completed @ 10/03-20[/b][/list] [list][b]0.9.5 - Detailed Vents across the map and added gameplay changes, completed @ 04/04-20[/b][/list][list]1.0 - Optimized final lightning and performance thresholds for final release.[/list]

[list]
-------------------------------------------
Thanks for all the support so far :)  [img]<a rel="nofollow" href="https://i.imgur.com/6uMDFDv.png">https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/bw/2dplghvoyglv.png</a>[/img] [/list]</div><div>
</div>

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hai there, welcome to the forums! :) I've considered making a prison map before, I'm glad someone else is actually going for it. :D I'm finding it a little difficult shooting any meaningful feedback your way at this stage, though once you post the layout that could change. ;)

Looking forward to seeing this progress.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Nice to meet you to! Looks and sounds like a good map to me.... just don't drop the soap. I would have to advise against free-styling. Get some doodles down and show us!
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the quick welcomes :) I'm a huge fan of caged!! Even had the honor of playing it with you one night flat! Keep it up ;) I Hear your need for a layout to give feedback, since i finally find my two bases and and ready room in a nice condition. The next objective is to get a neat layout, grey box this neat layout. Then give it to you guys for flaming, then give it to the players for more flaming ;)
    edited January 2014
    edited January 2014
    Some screenshots of a server room I'm working on :)
    NS2_2013_01_31_17_44_16_44.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_44_24_78.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_44_35_09.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_44_48_87.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_45_05_38.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_45_08_08.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_45_17_89.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_45_26_91.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_45_34_12.png

NS2_2013_01_31_17_45_44_31.png
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The lighting/colours are very unsettling in the latest shots. Maybe its just me and my fear of all things turquoise! It's monochrome, and I love me some colours! I'll be honest, you can do better There is too much glass (engines fault not that being a bad thing), too many large flat surfaces, stretched textures and the composition inst very appealing. I feel very mean saying these things, so I apologies if I come across this way. but going on your first batch of shots I know you have a good eye for this mapping game! take your time, get stuff right, plan, visualize and draw anything you make before you even open the editor! Then once in question, evaluate and think about every choice you make.
    I'm impressed with your ability in Spark, I just think you should work on doing smaller more visually polished demo segments or gray boxing. The latest batch of shots is somewhere in between and its difficult to know how much criticism to give. Again sorry if this sounded harsh.
    You should join our playtest sessions; most the active mappers on the forums meet up and play custom maps together every sunday. Its extremely insightful for seeing what works and what doesn't, learning some new tricks and just having some fun. Add me on steam and I'll get you setup with the details and in the steam group
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/howser/
    edited January 2014
    Polished the server room today :)
    NS2_2013_02_01_20_29_27_51.jpg

NS2_2013_02_01_20_29_58_08.jpg

NS2_2013_02_01_20_30_20_27.jpg

NS2_2013_02_01_20_30_29_24.jpg

NS2_2013_02_01_20_29_39_81.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Initial greybox for the prisons cantina, this area is only for the guards, prisoners get their meals served to their cell in the mid cell block.
    Editor_2013_02_07_06_46_40_92.jpg

Updated server room
    NS2_2013_02_03_16_22_19_31.jpg
    All comments / feedback on the visuals and geometry is welcome! <3 The map is still "VERY" WiP so please refer from bashing on the "final" look of a room, because it's not final, but flame away if you don't like it at all, and your reasons for the hate :)
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    Nice progress! The lighting looks a lot better now.

I think the ceiling in Server Room might benefit from some love. Flat ceilings are often a death trap for Skulks and I learned that the hard way when I made maps for NS1, which is why I tend to make them with different levels of elevation and little alcoves. The ceiling props really repeat themselves as well. The rafters and pillars could create interesting ambush and vantage spots, I like that. I'd use something else than these grungy girder/rafter models if I were you though, they look kind of weird in a room such as this one which is using a lot of Descent props.

Keep it up, prison maps are always interesting. Alien 3, despite being arguably a poor Alien movie, had a truly awesome prison with a great atmosphere and I've always wondered how a prison map would look like in NS.
    edited January 2014
    Getting ready to start adding various game elements for hiding and combat, will insert alot of props and architecthure to set the feel of some areas. This map will very soon be published for gameplay on the greybox :) Here is some screenshots of the progress since I started in December.

Still need to create the mid area, this will be the prison area, lots of cool stuff inc!

Enjoy! Hope you will help to test it out very soon!!

Thanks to Flaterectomy for helping me out last night with alot of stuff, you deserve respect! ;)

Screenshots:

Map in editor, falcon view:
    Editor_2013_03_16_23_38_41_61.png

RR start:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_40_25_70.png

Cargo room infront of alien spawn, lots of Line of Sight will be added here!:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_40_47_98.png

Underpass from West -> East side of the map, and entrance from W -> Cargo:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_41_12_65.png

Big intersection:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_41_25_08.png

Boiler room:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_41_46_39.png

Lava room with the corridors that act as entrances, adding a big pipe that's going to look like it's sucking the heat out in arcs to the rest of the prison:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_41_55_15.png

"Welcome" Hall, going to act as the entrance for a landing bay with a prisoner transport ship:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_42_28_29.png

New overview, updated first post aswell:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_42_38_93.png

Ventilation, west = underpass in screen 3, south entrance to cargo and east to cantina:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_43_10_98.png

Looking down from the missing fan in Ventilation, this vent system runs the entire way from the alien base it's the bridge also seen in cargo!:
    NS2_2013_03_16_23_43_19_69.png

Edit; Changed the threads title, it's still WiP, but not early anymore :D
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Glad I could help, man. :) I'm looking forward to swiping some marines on this map.
    Was good to play this map! Aside from the big map bug, we noticed that the RT in Prisoner Ejection isn't in the same location that the power node is in.
    edited March 2013
    Idd it was alot of fun to play ! All the areas really came to live with so many people going haywire :D

I fixed the mini-map /facepalm
    I fixed the occu bug in armory
    I fixed the RT in ejection not being powered :)

Thanks for the great feedback I got, will start to look at improvements :) Atleast these major bugs are fixed for next sundays session :)

The map can be found on the workshop if you want to try it / host it. Just search for prison under the filters "level" :) Thanks all <3
    edited March 2013
    Also the commander view would drop very low into the map at certain locations. Cargo hive was in one hell of a bottle neck too. it needs another route in and out.
    The far west tech point is far too small too.
    I look forward to the next game. Its got a lot of potential. Keep at it!
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Check the height of commander_camera as Howser said. I think the hall was "Path of Justice" - when I was trying to build in there it would build in the vent above.
    Will take a look at that!! :)
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    also fix the door in the command center area, i got stuck as onos in the doors
    edited January 2014
    So the map had it's debut sunday with alot of obvious flaws. People were really confused because the mini map was totally out of place, due to a publish error from my part. People quickly adapted tho' and it was fun to see alot of scenarios, I had already thought of, spring to live in my rooms :D

I have tossed some updates at the map since sunday, due to the things I saw and other people wrote to me about. I expanded the Alien start room, made it into a location of it's own and adding another entrance for assault. I also made the comm view more steady in it's zooms, but due to really varying ground levels they got to wiggle a lit, I will try to improve it overtime, right now armory is the only one that might cause frustration, but the tight space in there might make the zoom good, if it gets combat heavy enough so drops are needed.

Next up is expanding the west side tech point room, and fixing some occulision geo being visible for the commander. I also need to place bars on the cell doors in the middle and fix their placement. I might tweak the line of sight placeholders for next sundays play test, but I'm not sure yet. I want to see a round, where people can view the map by pressing "c" first :)

We aliens dominated General Population most of the round, so I'll lay some screens in of the room here, along with the change screenshots.

Screenshots of changes:
    ZB2P6ZU.jpg

ntA4q9u.jpg

t1ODOMA.png

Screenshots of General Population:

QC6tbTD.jpg

Tech point seen from node catwalk, you can see the top of the ladder from the ground up, on the side of the yellow container.
    r6Ua21x.jpg

- Power node.
    CAoQMfJ.jpg

- Ladders for the marines to reach the power node faster than running to 2nd catwalk.
    GcuLjNm.jpg

- First level catwalk.
    wrzoUCY.jpg

- Resource seen from ceiling.

New "fixed" overview:
    W2g3azB.png

- Updated first post aswell.

Bonus Screen:
    Pd818rF.jpg

- As I was skulking around in the server room, I saw 2 exos and a marine staring out this window, first realised later that you could see the RR planet as a bonus <3
    Rellik_pt wrote: »
    also fix the door in the command center area, i got stuck as onos in the doors

I looked at this aswell, I didn't find any problems with the main door, the animated doors on the glass room I can't scale :s Onos will have to duck through here.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    that is going to be a problem for aliens side, since the onos will lose speed in that area and will get stuck if doesnt know why cant pass the door.
    Rellik_pt wrote: »
    that is going to be a problem for aliens side, since the onos will lose speed in that area and will get stuck if doesnt know why cant pass the door.

I just made alot of changes today and updated the publish of the map with them :) I went away from the animated doors and the map is now 100% onos enjoyable! The first post of this thread has been updated to reflect that the map has gone public :) Thanks for your feedback! <3

• WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I gave it a little runaround and the map is taking up shape nicely, but there are a lot of places that cause concern here.

- Main reactor is now better for a base but it only has one route to it. It needs another route so it won't cause a bottleneck. The doorways are also a little too tight and hard to get a cyst chain out of there.
    - Path of justice has a container right in front of a corridor, also making cysting hard.
    - Power point in general population is too hard to defend for the marines and will be impossible to hold a base there.
    - The overall distances from the bases are huge, average cyst chains from a base to the nearest RT is 9 to 11 cysts. You should look some of the official maps how much distance they have between the bases and to the nearest RT. I think the average distance was around 6-8 cysts.
    - Corridors and hallways are at a comfortable size and in the playtest they were a good place to fight in.

Distances are a big problem since in ns2 every second it takes to run out of the base is a second you need to react to your enemy. If it takes too long then it's easy just to zerg rush.

I know you've worked hard on this map so I hope this feedback wasn't too harsh. I think it's a very unique map and would be nice to see it finished.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I did like playing this map on sunday was confusing with out the minimap but still fun.

As a general rule all techpoints do need atleast 2 ways in and out, If you do want to make 1 way in / out of a tech point id like to suggest then either that one entrance in/ out is huge (think generator on caged) or you could create a single (but large) corridor in but in the middle there are various obstructions pillars random walls etc (http://guides.gamepressure.com/dukenukemforever/gfx/word/-2069748968.jpg but the gaps between pillars is smaller)

- The overall distances from the bases are huge, average cyst chains from a base to the nearest RT is 9 to 11 cysts. You should look some of the official maps how much distance they have between the bases and to the nearest RT. I think the average distance was around 6-8 cysts.

distances on my map are around the same if not bigger but thing to remember if you are creating a larger map you need to limit the paths / routes as to not overcomplicate it and create deadzones where nothing happens at all

edited January 2014
    Feedback is never to harsh :) Rather get some than none at all! Your points are all valid Whitedevil, and the listed things, I have already considered myself. I will have to rearrange some containers, I placed them to block vision, so that important structures couldn't get sniped from other rooms, or the draw distance wouldn't reach it's limit, but I do see that it's messing up the nav_debug around Path of Justice and the Main reactors left door. I think the problem with one entrance into the Main Reactor room, can be solved by adding another corridor towards the Boiler Room side of the Path of Justice. Will try to get that change in later, I'm glad you like the rooms and the corridors size, they were of major concern to me :)

Regarding the cyst distance, I don't think that 2-3 more cyst per RT will make THAT much of a difference, I also have more RT's than most maps, so the economy should be there to do it. I set out to make a bigger map than the official ones (that was before descent xD), so if the cysts chains reflect that the map IS bigger, I'm actually quite happy. That will also slow the Alien side a little, so the marines have time to get out of their holes.

The power point in General Population started out on the ground and the catwalks was only connected by the stairs, so to reach the 2nd level, marines would have to run the entire route around the room, to utilize the high ground advantage, by moving the node up into the middle and adding ladders, the marines got an easy way to reach the catwalks different levels. The node might be to hard to defend, but this haven't been tested yet :/ The aliens had the room for almost the entire round. I do think that since the main room only has 2 access points, the base in there for marines, should be kept by either placing turrets and the PG up near the node, for instant access to the high ground, or just locking down the two main door entrances. Time will tell if the node should be on the ground or up, but I would like for the marines to utilize the catwalks, and have an easy time doing so.

Edit: Screenshot of what I'm talking about regarding the node. This could be one way to do it.
    a3IUMso.jpg
    Updated the map once again, changes are in the first post.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    hard to tell without playing but if that pic shows the size of that room on your map, the rest of the map looks very very narrow.

Neat concept though i like it.
    edited January 2014
    current1y wrote: »
    hard to tell without playing but if that pic shows the size of that room on your map, the rest of the map looks very very narrow.

Neat concept though i like it.

It's a little more trickery than it seems :) This node is located in a path that is carved directly through the mid pillar splitting the room general population.

Better view of it's entrances:
    QXEx6PS.jpg

wrzoUCY.jpg

The debate here is, if marine can hold it up there or not, even with ladders, TP and RT is located on ground level in separete sides of the room. The node started on ground level, but I moved it up to utilize the catwalks more.
    edited January 2014
    Patch! :D Changes in first post.

Screens:
    PGFAlWf.jpg

M3bv8Vk.jpg

Pk6UAKs.jpg

dKKoYEh.jpg

ajkt8Mm.jpg

3gs7zat.jpg

BmH2pr0.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Patch coming soon :) Layout changes and more props!

Cantina:
    mAYpq15.jpg

3SZ1jEq.jpg

vJ4vZE7.jpg

6xJTe4o.jpg

E8kwBE2.jpg

JoQQmm8.jpg

njjX35F.jpg