Modern Technology

Helium3Helium3 Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183963Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
The game is set in the year 3030 or something. I wonder why the hell there are no WINDSHIELD WIPERS on exos?! Maybe frontiersmen are too damn noble that they want gorges to stand a chance against exos?

Comments

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Bile Bomb is less vision obscuring in the current Balance Mod, so they are obviously working on it.
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    And they are still using the same weapon technology for lmgs, shotguns, gls, chainguns and flamethrowers. the only real year 3030 weapons are ARCs and railguns imo.

But movies like Aliens have the same problems. Only the motion tracking aimhack gun (I think it's called Smart Gun) is pretty modern.
    Starship Troopers, again: simple bullet based weapons.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    Helium3 wrote: »
    The game is set in the year 3030 or something. I wonder why the hell there are no WINDSHIELD WIPERS on exos?! Maybe frontiersmen are too damn noble that they want gorges to stand a chance against exos?

The moose is a herbivore and is capable of consuming many types of plant or fruit. The average adult moose needs to consume 9770 Calories per day to maintain its body weight. Much of a moose's energy is derived from terrestrial vegetation, mainly consisting of forbs and other non-grasses, and fresh shoots from trees such as willow and birch. These plants are rather low in sodium, and moose generally need to consume a good quantity of aquatic plants. While much lower in energy, these plants provide the moose with its sodium requirements, and as much as half of their diet usually consists of aquatic plant life. In winter, moose are often drawn to roadways, to lick salt that is used as a snow and ice melter. A typical moose, weighing 360 kg (790 lb), can eat up to 32 kg (71 lb) of food per day.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Obviously Bilebomb technology is far superior to landownership, chrome spell check WTF windshieldwipers :P
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Far as bullets go, it's a pretty cut and dry tech. You don't need power to make it work, just a bang. So you don't have to worry about a battery running out mid-battle. Bullets are soft(ish) lead, so you don't have to worry about blowing holes in your spacecraft or station as long as its constructed out of something sturdy. As opposed to like laser beams that theoreticallly burn holes in everything.

Don't be hatin on the bullets, as long as its squishy, bullets should kill it, and they're cheap.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The TSF have pew pew lasers but most of them dont work because of the kharra bacterium
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited March 2013
    Any realism arguments are invalid, in 15 years combat here, on earth will be heavily robotic for the top nations, imagine a thousand years from now!

The mechanics are just there to make the game work. Better this way, than some ship that can instantaneously kill any life within light years of radius, lol! Wouldn't fit the model
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    This game should just be a race to press the Big Red Button for each factions planet destroying, quantum Death-laser.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Windshield wipers only come with the luxury package Exos. The TSF was cheap and only bought the basic model.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Windshield wipers only come with the luxury package Exos. The TSF was cheap and only bought the basic model.

Luxury model also comes with enough leg-room to physically allow a marine to realistically fit inside the cockpit.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    If bile can chew through hardened metal, just think what it will do with a windshield wiper. It would melt away so fast there wouldn't be point of having it in the first place, right? Mystery sovled. :p
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I dunno man, there are some none metalic plastics and rubbers out there which can handle the most volatile acids quite easily, while anything else just melts away
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    edited March 2013
    You're forgetting that this is in a parallel universe where humans are 1000 years slower than us in developing technology. Their technology in 3030 is equivalent to ours in 2030 :D. Maybe they were set back by having to build spaceships.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    nsguy wrote: »
    You're forgetting that this is in a parallel universe where humans are 1000 years slower than us in developing technology. Their technology in 3030 is equivalent to ours in 2030 :D. Maybe they were set back by having to build spaceships.

Or maybe it was beacause in this parallel universe, religion was more prevalent...
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nanites make up for it.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's a parallel universe.
    /thread
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members

Really?

We are less than 20 years away from colonizing other planets? From being able to precisely teleport matter (including humans) over huge distances? From developing a nanite bullet that has advanced friend-or-foe detection system and is able to dissolve itself before hitting friendly target? We are 20 years away from being able to construct advanced, complex machines and computers from scratch in literary several seconds?

Whoa there must have been significant scientific advances while I wasn't looking....

I mean seriously, just because TSF marines are not running around with pew pew ray guns and anti-gravity boots and forcefields doesn't exactly mean that we are anywhere near their level of technology.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lt. Lizard wrote: »

Really?

We are less than 20 years away from colonizing other planets? From being able to precisely teleport matter (including humans) over huge distances? From developing a nanite bullet that has advanced friend-or-foe detection system and is able to dissolve itself before hitting friendly target? We are 20 years away from being able to construct advanced, complex machines and computers from scratch in literary several seconds?

Whoa there must have been significant scientific advances while I wasn't looking....

I mean seriously, just because TSF marines are not running around with pew pew ray guns and anti-gravity boots and forcefields doesn't exactly mean that we are anywhere near their level of technology.

So called "lo-tech" stuff like ballistic weaponry is still around because they are still efficient, cheap, and reliable. It's simple economics, people. We don't need fancy laser cannons to take care of a couple of bugs. Plus, we want to keep these facilities intact, not nuke the entire site from orbit.

Really?

Someone took the thread too seriously.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Someone explained this quite well a while back but I cant remember the details. Something to do with the Nanite Weapons which are used by the military get jammed alot (or something like that) because of the infestation or Bacterium (or both, I can not remember) so they have to revert back to good old gun power and lead weapons to be able to fight the kharaa.

Nah, someone just has minor pet peeve about people thinking that ballistic weapons are primitive/easily replaced. :P

Also common people, the exo actually doest have cockpit windows, it has a small camera stuck on the front armor, how would even windshield wipers work? /srs mode.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    So called "lo-tech" stuff like ballistic weaponry is still around because they are still efficient, cheap, and reliable. It's simple economics, people. We don't need fancy laser cannons to take care of a couple of bugs. Plus, we want to keep these facilities intact, not nuke the entire site from orbit.
    Tell me ... what good is nuking from orbit when there's nothing there to exert gravitational pull?

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The guns have no recoil whatsoever. Nanite bullets. For a broke tsf this is pretty good stuff. I miss this grenade launcher attachment but its not in the budget anymore.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    We've been down this road already. ;)
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    hmg.jpg

I don't care how low tech bullets are in this great and glorious TSF future, just give me my Heavy Machine Gun. It can use brass cartridge bullets propelled by refined Gorge dung and I wouldn't care, just get that Alterra HMG factory back online, stat!

Nah, someone just has minor pet peeve about people thinking that ballistic weapons are primitive/easily replaced. :P

Also common people, the exo actually doest have cockpit windows, it has a small camera stuck on the front armor, how would even windshield wipers work? /srs mode.

Btw, although I'm not one to take this thread seriously, you may be happy to know that all those things you mentioned so seriously in your response to me are indeed possible today, albeit expensive and not perfected to large scale applicability. In 20 years it may indeed be very common in the laboratory setting. But again, relax, I was only coming up with some humorous response on the spot. I didn't sit there and sketch blueprints like perhaps some of us <.< did.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    WINDSHIELD WIPERS on exos.
    Meh
    Why not :D
    Btw, although I'm not one to take this thread seriously, you may be happy to know that all those things you mentioned so seriously in your response to me are indeed possible today, albeit expensive and not perfected to large scale applicability. In 20 years it may indeed be very common in the laboratory setting. But again, relax, I was only coming up with some humorous response on the spot. I didn't sit there and sketch blueprints like perhaps some of us <.< did.

Link to relevant science articles? Or at least relevant wiki pages?

Lets turn this into glorious NS2 lore/current technology comparison thread. :-B
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    Insane wrote: »
    Windshield wipers were outlawed by referendum after the Wiperian Insurrection of 2758-2782. A dark period in history, best left untouched.

And it was written: "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human windshield-wiping hand."