Khammanders, please upgrade your team...

SliceSlice Join Date: 2008-03-19 Member: 63903Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Too many times I have played with Khammanders focused on growing their whips, playing with drifters and bone walls and I'm running around with 0/6 upgrades. You aren't a lone RTS player. Assign your hives and get the upgrades for your team FIRST before playing with your toys. 2nd hive goes up, I want to see Leap, Bile, Blink and Spores out ASAP.

Comments

• Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    edited March 2013
    Then go Khamm and stop bitching, that might be nice if the people moaning about it, actually did it.

Also it's very rare you don't get upgrades, I've got to say I never played a game without a single upgrade, I'm feeling the troll vibe from your thread.

But Drifters are very good, capable of taking bases very quickly and helping killing marines.... but yea, the troll vibe is really there.

Last bit you're a RTS player with the FPS interface, remember that, you have your part in keeping the strategy working..... sometimes called field commanders.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Alien commanders are lame, period. This feature alone keeps NS2 way behind NS1 in terms of replayability for me. That's what made NS1 unique to me. If I was in the mood for a quick game, I went Aliens. If I wanted something more involved, I went Marines.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Like going early sentries, going early whips is a newb comm trap. Unless you grasp the subtleties, then don't do it.
  • uRBANuRBAN Join Date: 2003-05-04 Member: 16065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you want the job done right.... Do it yourself..... words to live by
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    pls try to be nice to each others, especially to new players!
  • SliceSlice Join Date: 2008-03-19 Member: 63903Members
    I Khamm all the time. That's why it's frustrating for me when I'm not in the hive and I'm not getting timely upgrades. I keep my brood upgraded as fast as I can.

It's not a troll post. I'm just asking others who want to learn how to be a good Khammander, please take care of your brood first. Don't get distracted by some of the other tools. Sure drifters and whips have their benefits but make sure your teams abilities are placed at the top of your res priority list.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Bonus points for calling the team your "brood". :)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    SIGNED SO MUCH:

Marines are better now. It used to be okay running without any upgrades for a long time, but it's not really anymore. You're taking a big risk if you do that.

When 2nd hive goes up, you should be holding your finger on the trigger to research leap. Is there any excuse not to? And if you went Shift or Shade first, you know your team REALLY wants that cara, now that marines have better weapons.

DISCLAIMER: I don't mind different tech paths, or ways of doing things. But it's SO many times that I see comm going for harvesters first, THEN 2nd hive, and THEN, like 8minute mark, he gets WHOOPTY-DOO: Celerity. (You're not gonna need extra eggs anymore ffs why don't you go cara for a change...-.-)

I guess it's hard to blame 'em tho. Comm hostility when someone takes an unorthodox way of doing things is still alive and well.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Well you should get harvesters first. Still, you should be able to have an upgrade before the 4 minute mark (preferably closer to the 3) even if you grab 5 harvesters off the bat.
  • kelevra386kelevra386 Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175425Members
    Depending on map in pub games the first upgrade should either be cara or cele and this should happen asap. If you can get cara/cele to your players before the rines can start PG and upgrades then you will probably have the majority of map control and can then start pushing out cysts/harvesters/locking down the 2nd tech point.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    But it's SO many times that I see comm going for harvesters first, THEN 2nd hive, and THEN, like 8minute mark

That's exactly my tactic. Beside, that I can manage to get the first upgrade around the 5 minute mark. Extractors first! (this helps the p-res of the team too!) Than 2nd hive, because it takes ages to grow, better start sooner than later. Than there comes the upgrade (not too late because we have enough harvesters and don't need to wait long for t-res income) and after that I save up for leap and the second upgrade to get it as soon as the 2nd hive is ready. At the 8 minute mark, my team has leap and 2 - 3 upgrades.

But yes, Craigs, Whips and stuff has to wait until the upgrades are there. And I only follow this tactic when we can hold enough RTs. This causes a tech explosion at the alien team that really hurts the marines right into their morals.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You're complaining about drifters? Really?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Best to get at least a couple drifters out as early as possible IMO. Against any type of aggressive marine team (i.e. a good marine team) they are invaluable in anticipating early harvestor assaults. 3 res to ensure your team gets enough advanced warning to keep a harvestor from dying early game when res is tight doesn't seem like a waste of money. If anything it helps ensure the resflow so you can afford your precious upgrades (which cost 40, 45 res in total for 1 upgrade compared to a 3 res drifter) rather than constantly having to replace harvestors cause you don't know they're going to get attacked until it's too late. Drifters aren't 'playing with toys', they're extremely cheap and valuable tools that help prevent Aliens getting blindsided. If you wanna neglect them completely for the sake of upgrades, then prepare to get destroyed by aggressive marines.

Getting whips early game is a little silly though. And bone wall requires 2 hives anyway.
  • kelevra386kelevra386 Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175425Members
    In response to Dope. If a pub marine team is aware enough to know to pressure harvesters your pub alien team is not going to be able to save it even with drifters.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    if the khammander is placing whips before hive then he's kinda noob. i've only seen it happen once or twice in the last few months.

but remember that RT's are pretty damn important, taking a bunch of semi-risky RT's isn't always a bad strat for pub. if you sit back on 2-3 RT's then marines can be afk eating pizza or something for the first 5 minutes and not be punished for it.

also, you need to pay attention to how many RT's your team is losing. i'm fed up of being told i'm a noob commander when people nag me to drop an RT, then 5 seconds later they've all run away or died and we lose almost every RT before it gets in the black.

no RT's = crap upgrades... duh!

like starcraft... it's madness to blindly go tier3 armor/wep upgrades and units on a single base income.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    That's exactly my tactic. Beside, that I can manage to get the first upgrade around the 5 minute mark. Extractors first! (this helps the p-res of the team too!) Than 2nd hive, because it takes ages to grow, better start sooner than later.

If it works for you, great. I still think it's risky though. Yes, the tech explosion aliens get when 2nd hive is up is huge, but marines who have 2 bases with phases and obs are more than enough to withstand that explosion. I rather take the route of trying my best to deny marines having any ground to begin with, because I feel it's harder to take back later than hold in the beginning.

Although perhaps the biggest reason I go upgrade asap is because it SUCKS to play without one as a Skulk. There's an entire team of skulks playing for you, and they're just not having that much fun playing so long without any upgrades. Sure, it may end up with their victory, but it's kinda meh when half the game feels like a total bummer.

Disclaiming again: I don't mind different ways, but I wish there'd be more people going varying paths.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    lets give advice to pub scrubbers that arent even on the forum. fuck off.