Rifle Butt Obscure Vision?

Arc277Arc277 Join Date: 2013-03-12 Member: 183916Members
First off, want to say great job on the game had a lot of fun with it.

Was thinking about the rifle butt attack and whether it would be nice if it inflicted some kind of obscured vision effect on any skulk hit by it (similar to the effect marines have when hit by gorge spit) to imitate a kind of stun effect to buff it up a little.

Comments

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even The Sims manages to maintain immersion without obstructing player vision. I don't see why ns2 can't do the same.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Vision obscuring and movement impairing effects are something the community doesn't seem to want more of. If anything, less.

The only thing I'd feel comfortable with when it comes to rifle butt, would be a knockback. None for onos, small for fade, medium for the rest.
  • Arc277Arc277 Join Date: 2013-03-12 Member: 183916Members
    Knockback would be good, just something to buff the butt attack up with a little
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    How about instead of a knockback it disabled a skulks attack for a second? That makes it more of a defensive thing, you get to buy yourself some time but you don't put the skulk in a helpless state like a stun or possibly knockback would.

Of course skulk vs marine is a bit marine sided at the moment so a change would need to wait until skulks are buffed back up.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    sotanaht wrote: »
    How about instead of a knockback it disabled a skulks attack for a second? That makes it more of a defensive thing, you get to buy yourself some time but you don't put the skulk in a helpless state like a stun or possibly knockback would.

Of course skulk vs marine is a bit marine sided at the moment so a change would need to wait until skulks are buffed back up.

In such case, you must communicate the effect to the skulk player somehow - a visual clue would be the best.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Knockback was tried, was op, was buggy, was frustrating, was removed.

Because ns2 lag compensates, abilities which affect the movement of another player do not work well. Especially when you have players moving around at high speeds, causing very large positional discrepancies.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Angelusz wrote: »
    Vision obscuring and movement impairing effects are something the community doesn't seem to want more of. If anything, less.

Who are you to speak for the community, I think rifle butt doing this would be a nice idea. Don't pretend to represent us, or me atleast, thanks.

• LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    I think the only thing that needs to be done with the rifle butt is a slight range increase so I do not need to crouch in order to hit a skulk.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Who are you to speak for the community, I think rifle butt doing this would be a nice idea. Don't pretend to represent us, or me atleast, thanks.
    Ok, I'm not sure why I stepped on your toes. But do a few searches and come back telling me why I'm wrong. If you persuade me, I'll give you a cookie.

TL;DR: I'm in the forums enough to get a sense of the general consensus.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Ok, I'm not sure why I stepped on your toes. But do a few searches and come back telling me why I'm wrong. If you persuade me, I'll give you a cookie.

You probably should have used "most" otherwise people get... toes steppe .... Ah never mind I actually don't care :P
    edited March 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »

You probably should have used "most" otherwise people get... toes steppe .... Ah never mind I actually don't care :P

Thing is, I already covered the "maybe" base:
    Angelusz wrote:
    ... are something the community doesn't seem to want more of.
    ;)
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    We can argue semantics all day, or we can get back to talking about Rifle butting.

That's an interesting idea. Still leaves the skulk dancing around you but he can't bite you for a little bit.

As far as a vision impairment goes, it's a thin line to get something that isn't so impairing its annoying but still impairing enough to be worth the shot. Something like the Hunter's flash when meleed in L4D2 would be over the top IMO, but something like a little flash of tunnel vision wouldn't be quite enough.

What about a tad bit of slightly desaturated vision (black and whitish) with the sound impairment that happens when you're low on health tacked on? Or else if the alien was in night-vision mode, it could knock them out of it?

Such effects wouldn't be too over the top (not sure about the night vision one though) but still could be worth it.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about instead of a knockback it disabled a skulks attack for a second?

I think the rifle butt attack should knock all of the teeth out of the skulk, leaving it with only the ability to give marines hickeys. The only way to get its teeth back would be for the alien commander to research "Dentures".