Stacking and how Auto-Random should be permanent in every pub server.

PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
90% of the games I've played (which usually take place in the 5 most popular servers) are heavily stacked one way or another. I know there's is not much that the game can do about such lame players, but there is one feature that can tackle the problem quite efficiently. Auto-Random.

I know, I know, people want to choose what side they play for, but what if, we were able to select this upon joining the server and then change it during the game for the next round? Or maybe upon map-switch. Wouldn't take much coding to implement such a feature. This would remove the lame ass players who wait for the proficient players to join a team and then follow them.

Stacking is the worst thing to happen to a game, especially a novelty game such as NS2. Not only does it completely taint the statistics for the game, but also prevents newcomers from really getting a feel of the gameplay and gauging which abilities and/or behaviors are more beneficial to their experience. Whether you're on the stacked team, or on the crappy end of it, you're not getting a true sense of what the devs spent countless hours trying to perfect.

Comments

• KalibosKalibos Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183589Members
    Agreed. The stacking in this game is atrocious. I can understand when people want to play with their friends, but the situation is out of hand. I feel like I shouldn't have to join a comp team just to have balanced games. It would also be good to have an option for "preferred team". This would marginally increase your chances of getting assigned to your favorite team.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Agreed.
    I'm tired of pointless games where one team stomps the other.

If enforcing would be a bit too drastic i'd like to see at least random option ( called by players themselves ) like plugins already provide made official and shipped with the game ( same as autokicker which is not active even on official UWE servers ... ).
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    I think it should be a server option. If you want to play with your friends, there will be servers clearly labeled as non-random. Everyone else who doesn't want to play with stacked teams can go to servers that are all random no matter what. All doors in ready room will say random, except for the one that says spectate. The game should remember the Steam IDs of all players in any given game, so even if you leave the server and come back, it will put you on the team you started on. The only team switching allowed will be if the teams become unbalanced.

I almost want to suggest that when teams become unbalanced, it should force players to switch against their will, but I would personally not be happy with that. I get a loyalty to the team I am on each game. I would not be motivated to win if I were switched by force.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    As much as I would love for this to work, it won't.

The problem is that auto-random doesn't necessarily mean the teams won't be stacked. I've been on a server where the admin was on and he forced auto-random three games in a row and all three times they ended up randomly imbalanced.

However, I still don't think the answer is to force auto-random on all servers. What will likely end up happening is that people will end up going back to the ready room (or reconnecting) until they get on the team they want, or they'll just go to another server.

The better solution -imho - is to let admins sort this out as they deem it necessary.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    maybe you could find some better servers.

my favourite servers have no issue. the 'regular' players don't necessarily go random, but they have presence of mind to see a pattern of stronger players stacking a certain team and they will choose to go on the other team to balance it. you know, like common sense.

i've played on a few servers with a 'randomize teams' mod. ergo it's useless for UWE to waste time making one, you need to persuade server admins to use the pre-existing mod. although that mod is a pile of crap, because the 'good' players with common sense balance the teams, then the noobs start a random vote and the teams auto-stack instead.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think intentional team stacking is rarer than most people think, and most of the imbalanced games are simply by coincidence no different than if teams were randomed. Most of the friends joining teams together aren't actually much better than the other pubbers. It is annoying when people stubbornly insist on playing a single team and pile into the team portal, but that's not really an issue anymore since the game won't start until somebody sucks it up and joins the other team.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Savant wrote: »
    The problem is that auto-random doesn't necessarily mean the teams won't be stacked.
    Quite true. Random doesn't produce evenly-matched teams, it just prevents deliberately-stacked teams.

tarquinbb wrote: »
    my favourite servers have no issue. the 'regular' players don't necessarily go random, but they have presence of mind to see a pattern of stronger players stacking a certain team and they will choose to go on the other team to balance it.
    This is possible on servers where there are regulars. On typical pub games, though, even if most players would be happy to switch teams to make a balanced game - which I think they would, most of the time - they don't have a good way to know when the teams are fair because they don't know the other players.

The soft matchmaking system that I've suggested here would help. Players could see before the game starts how well the teams are matched and could voluntarily switch sides as they see fit in order to make a better game. Also, the randomizing server plugins in use now could be augmented to take player skill into account in order to make a more evenly-matched game than the simple random assignment does currently.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    One word: Matchmaking

NS2 already has a form of autobalance (i.e. the 'spawning limiter') and more invasive forms (forced player switching) are guaranteed to annoy. As such many multiplayer games are going to some form of skill-based matchmaking to address the problem.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    |strofix| wrote: »
    You play games to have fun.
    You have fun with your friend.
    Can't play the game with your friends?
    Nobody is going to play the game.

Gather more friends and populate an empty server then.
    I dont think newcomers to the "ns2 scene" enjoy very much to get stomped all the time.

Matchmaking would be great but based on what criteria ? and the active players base is too small for that.

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't like random. Sometimes I want to play one race or another. And random does NOT prevent stacking, only purposeful stacking.

On respectable servers, the regulars usually aligned themselves across both teams pretty evenly. But now my favorite server has random, and it's stacked 50% of the time and I don't get to choose which side to play on. It sucks!
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As mentioned, servers with active admins can force random to prevent intentional stacking. We do this on the DFA server most games, but sometimes you get an RNG stack as a result. Sometimes we end up forcing RR and re-randoming two or three times before we get a decent line-up. Other times we'll have commanders volunteer and then pick teams, which has a bit of an unfortunate middle school vibe to it, but usually results in the best games.

Playing with your friends is great and all, but if the game ends up being a boring stompfest as a result, what's the point of that? I'd rather play against my buddies for an epic game than stack for easy wins all the time. The best solution I have for this is to just play with enough friends that you always have some on your team, and some to play against. :P

I think a very unobtrusive soft 'ranking' system could be useful though, to get at least an idea of how much a given person has played so you can get a better idea of how to balance the teams. Time played and number of victories isn't indicative of raw skill, but someone with 300 hours is generally going to be at least knowledgeable and able to contribute to the team more than a freshly minted rookie. I think Tribes (Ascend) is a good example of how that kind of system works in practice.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    just because you don't get to stack with your friends doesn't mean you're not playing with them. Don't tell me you've never played tennis/chess/cards/table-tennis/street fighter/tekken before "with" friends.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Oddly enough, when a "stack" happens, it is usually on the marine side.... for some reason people like having a awesome kdr on marines, rather than going for an awesome kdr on aliens.

It may also be the fact that these good marine players are too used to a typical fps game and can't or don't know how to get a good kdr playing aliens, so they choose marines most of the time.

I prefer playing Aliens myself, however, I don't mind if the marine team is stacked even when I'm playing Aliens. I enjoy a challenge and playing against that only improves my play...... why other people don't take that mindset is beyond me.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    you must be completely delusional if you think stacking only occurs because friends want to play with friends.

Stacking is a self feeding loop, The more people stack the more it makes other people want to stack... because i mean who wants to play in a game thats almost completely not winnable ? if you cant beat them ... join them ... is the way it normally goes.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    its truely natural selection. Those that work together (with friends or just more so than the other team) will overcome those that fail to work together.

Try different servers. I will switch servers if i see the same names together after a couple of wins in a row.
  • archwaykittenarchwaykitten Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180431Members
    I don't think stacking only occurs because friends want to play with friends, but I do think that most of the suggestions proposed above will prevent friends from being able to play with each other, and that's simply unacceptable.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As mentioned, servers with active admins can force random to prevent intentional stacking. We do this on the DFA server most games, but sometimes you get an RNG stack as a result. Sometimes we end up forcing RR and re-randoming two or three times before we get a decent line-up. Other times we'll have commanders volunteer and then pick teams, which has a bit of an unfortunate middle school vibe to it, but usually results in the best games.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be avoiding your servers in the future. That sounds like a huge pain in the ass for anyone that's looking to hop in a game quickly or play with their friends.

I only pub with friends, most commonly in groups of 2 or 3. If you count a group of 3 friends going on the same team as "team stacking" then you probably just need to get better at the game.. 3 people can't carry a team of 12 unless the enemy team is straight garbage.

• |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be avoiding your servers in the future. That sounds like a huge pain in the ass for anyone that's looking to hop in a game quickly or play with their friends.
    Suits me fine.
    I only pub with friends, most commonly in groups of 2 or 3. If you count a group of 3 friends going on the same team as "team stacking" then you probably just need to get better at the game.. 3 people can't carry a team of 12 unless the enemy team is straight garbage.

Obviously that depends on the 3 people in question, and skill gaps are relative. You may have a team of perfectly decent midrange players getting destroyed by top tier pros, it doesn't make them garbage. I could easily name 3 DFA members who are significantly better than the average pubbers that would consistently imbalance games if they always played on the same team. Most of the time we random is to split ourselves up.

It seems like you're deliberately misinterpreting in any case. The goal is getting teams which are relatively balanced for more enjoyable matches. If a given group of friends aren't so far ahead of the curve that it's not possible to counterbalance, then it's not a problem.

Edit to add: We also cap our servers at 16-18 players, so our team sizes are 8-9 at most, not 12.
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    Matchmaking would be great but based on what criteria ? and the active players base is too small for that.
    The best criteria to use for matchmaking is something like Elo or TrueSkill, that is, something based on wins, losses, and the strength of the opponents won and lost to.

The active player base is too small for the type of matchmaking you find in most games. But the soft matchmaking system I suggested here would work just fine with the current playerbase.

I think a very unobtrusive soft 'ranking' system could be useful though, to get at least an idea of how much a given person has played so you can get a better idea of how to balance the teams.
    I agree. That's the intention behind my suggestion.
    Time played and number of victories isn't indicative of raw skill, but someone with 300 hours is generally going to be at least knowledgeable and able to contribute to the team more than a freshly minted rookie.
    Time played is a good metric to use for matchmaking, but it's not great, because it's a somewhat close proxy for skill but by no means a perfect proxy. Something like Elo or TrueSkill is a much better matchmaking metric.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    The best criteria to use for matchmaking is something like Elo or TrueSkill, that is, something based on wins, losses, and the strength of the opponents won and lost to.

The active player base is too small for the type of matchmaking you find in most games. But the soft matchmaking system I suggested here would work just fine with the current playerbase.

I think a very unobtrusive soft 'ranking' system could be useful though, to get at least an idea of how much a given person has played so you can get a better idea of how to balance the teams.
    I agree. That's the intention behind my suggestion.
    Time played and number of victories isn't indicative of raw skill, but someone with 300 hours is generally going to be at least knowledgeable and able to contribute to the team more than a freshly minted rookie.
    Time played is a good metric to use for matchmaking, but it's not great, because it's a somewhat close proxy for skill but by no means a perfect proxy. Something like Elo or TrueSkill is a much better matchmaking metric.
    This is a good start, but I think the eventual goal would be to build towards an in-game gather system similar to the ENSL version that would try to match as close as possible via skill. The matchmaking-playerbase issue is a bit of a "chicken or the egg" problem in which the playerbase is too small to support active matchmaking, but the lack of matchmaking leads to the huge stacking issues that drives the playerbase down.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    20% tops of the game I play on popular public are stacked.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Keep features like this completely optional for servers. Silly fascists.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    PoNeH wrote: »
    same random statistical number of the games I've played (which usually take place in the random statistic most popular servers) are heavily stacked one way or another. I know there is not much that the game can do about such decent players, but there is one feature that can tackle the problem quite efficiently. Learning To Play.

I know, I know, people like me want to blame my losses on things like teamstack, etc, but what if, we were able to practice and then play better during the game for the next round? Or maybe upon map-switch. Wouldn't take much skill to implement such a feature. This would remove the crybaby players who join a team and then complain the entire round.

Skilled players are the best to happen to a game, especially a novelty game such as NS2. Not only does it completely raise the bar for the game, but also inspires newcomers for really getting a feel of the gameplay and gauging which abilities and/or behaviors are more beneficial to their experience. Whether you're a good player on a team, or on the crappy end of it, you're not getting a true sense of what the devs spent countless hours trying to perfect.

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Res wrote: »
    Oddly enough, when a "stack" happens, it is usually on the marine side.... for some reason people like having a awesome kdr on marines, rather than going for an awesome kdr on aliens.

It may also be the fact that these good marine players are too used to a typical fps game and can't or don't know how to get a good kdr playing aliens, so they choose marines most of the time.

I prefer playing Aliens myself, however, I don't mind if the marine team is stacked even when I'm playing Aliens. I enjoy a challenge and playing against that only improves my play...... why other people don't take that mindset is beyond me.

I really don't think that is the case, was the before babblers alien advantage a fluke?

One thing I find is that people who communicate will follow other people who also communicate. If someone is using a mic/has a mic/ text chats a lot, on average, they will be a greater contributor to victory. These people then say:

"I'm gona go X next", many will try and follow such as other people they are talking to.

Random at this point is not really random ether... it’s just an auto-assign unless both teams have equal amounts of players (unlikely)...

edited March 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    This is a good start, but I think the eventual goal would be to build towards an in-game gather system similar to the ENSL version that would try to match as close as possible via skill.

It would be pretty easy to extend the soft matchmaking system I've suggested into something more like the traditional matchmaking systems or the ENSL gather system. It could go something like this:
    • Some subset of servers set a flag to designate that they are matchmaking servers. This would be strictly optional and up to the server operators, but presumably UWE would run at least a handful of matchmaking servers themselves.
    • Servers with the matchmaking flag set will only allow players to join if they are within X skill rating of the players already present.
    • Clicking the "Quick Match" button (or whatever) in the server browser will connect you to a randomly chosen server that has the matchmaking flag set and that has a current-player skill rating within X of your own.
    That's it. Whether this would work would depend entirely on the size of the playerbase, the proportion of the playerbase that wants to use the matchmaking feature, the width of the skill bands, and the length of time people are willing to wait for a game to fill up and start. If there's not enough people or if the wait times are too long then we'd still have the soft matchmaking system to fall back on.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Zek wrote: »
    I think intentional team stacking is rarer than most people think, and most of the imbalanced games are simply by coincidence no different than if teams were randomed. Most of the friends joining teams together aren't actually much better than the other pubbers. It is annoying when people stubbornly insist on playing a single team and pile into the team portal, but that's not really an issue anymore since the game won't start until somebody sucks it up and joins the other team.

Agreed, generally, one team is going to be better than the other, one team is probably going to lose most of the early engagements, it's not deliberate, it's just next to impossible that by chance both teams have equal skill levels.

Auto random doesn't help at all, because it's the same thing, random chance that one team is going to be better than the other, all it does is piss people off by taking away more choice and preventing people from teaming with friends as much (btw not all "friends" are automatically better than other people and stack a team).
  • sanobrewsanobrew Join Date: 2007-05-04 Member: 60801Members
    Add a voting feature that lets player vote to randomize the team, e.g. "vote random (1 of 10 votes required)"
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    autorandom doesn't guarantee against stacks. trust me.