The Alien Arc

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
Not sure what name exactly to call it but a crab like creature thats reasonably large and more costly than a single arc but way more durable. The crab (creep, lice, crawl or scarab whatever name you like) moves slowly from the hive of its creation, its a large creature with no direct way of attacking however once it burrows into infestation the shell opens up like a clam and spores begin to slowly spread all around it eventually covering a large area, possible for them to spread from 1 room to another if close enough. The spores act exactly like lerk spores and will continue to be released until the creature is either killed or moved by the commander.

Being large and rather tough the crab provides cover for aliens as they progress up corridors. However the crab has 1 major weakness. rooms with power hurt the crab. it dislikes light and will only survive for long periods within rooms with destroyed power nodes.

the purpose of the crab is to either lock down areas you dont want marines entering or to deploy them as close as possible to a marine base and then begin to fill up the part of both the room the crab is in and their command room with spores.

Marines can combat crabs by either sneakily powering up rooms they are in, heavy GL bombardment, firing from a safe position outside the psores range, using exos to progress through the spores or flamethrowers to clear them.

Comments

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Not bad, I like the idea. Enough weaknesses (can only be used in alien-controlled territory) and can be countered with advanced weapons and teamwork. It could just get a bit tough if the khammander could spam many of them in a place. Their spores should at least not stack then. Each spore should take up a square in a threedimensional array of fixed dimensions across the map.

Maybe make it so that the spores can be somewhat avoided if the marines go in crouching.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    This seems like it would be more of the alien equivalent of turrets than arcs in that it seems more like a harassment denial tool than a siege weapon. I would put one of these in each hive to protect upgrades and help defend, or I might put them on res nodes.

I cannot imagine sieging in a slow deployable with a slow medium-size aoe that won't penetrate walls.

Still I like this idea! I don't like the idea though of these having a ton of hp. Nothing is more of a kill buzz than seeing ten arcs migrating alone and knowing you could spend ten minutes biting them and not get through them...
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited December 2012
    i would limit the alien team to just 1 of them, the spores cover a large area so can eventually start spreading into the marine base if deployed close enough. It isnt as disposable as an arc, much tougher to kill and larger. so it costs more res and the aliens can only build 1.

Of course the alien team could use it for defense as well, but perhaps a 3 hive 30 res cost. So it really only serves its purpose when the aliens have the advantage. On maps with 5 tech points the aliens controlling 3 and marines 2, but the marines controlling a double res location the crab would certainly be useful.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    Giant Crab with a salvaged Exo Railgun on the back controllable by the Khamannder, KKnD style!
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I can totally see marines calling out on voice chat that they discovered a "Giant Enemy Crab in Data Core".
  • Crumbling EgoCrumbling Ego Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164692Members
    +1 for the Giant Enemy Crab.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    An axe is useless against those massive claws. They could rip an exo apart!
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    i really like this idea 1 crustcreep(?) or whatever it's name will be per hive and it only has a medium to a large spore area seems to be a bit fairer since marines can have 4 arcs at the same time to 1 crustcreep seems a bit unfair but 1 per hive seems fairer
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    I like the idea because that way you get more map control in one area and aliens can focus in another. Like when they are rushing a marine base.

Would the crab be available in the first 5 minutes of the game?

I could prevent egg lock early in the game. I have been on both sides of that strategy and I don't have anything against it or developing a counter for it.
  • fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053519:date=Dec 31 2012, 11:46 AM:name=Crumbling Ego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crumbling Ego @ Dec 31 2012, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 for the Giant Enemy Crab.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I lol'd.

Kinda like the principal of the idea, but i dont think what NS2 needs is MORE ai units. Perhaps i'd like the idea better if it were a stationary building akin to NS1's siege turret.
    <!--quoteo(post=2054000:date=Dec 31 2012, 08:52 PM:name=fiveseven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fiveseven @ Dec 31 2012, 08:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I lol'd.

Kinda like the principal of the idea, but i dont think what NS2 needs is MORE ai units. Perhaps i'd like the idea better if it were a stationary building akin to NS1's siege turret.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i dont think this would be good because aliens need SOMETHING for extra map control hydras are basically useless, whips are only useful in hives and are not useful for map control to the marines sentries which can ###### your day up as a alien so something mobile that can give aliens some extra map control would be good, and can easily be countered by GL's and Flamethrowers and lots of bullets
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    An extra bonus would be that flamethrowers will be used more often. I like flamethrowers.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2054887:date=Jan 2 2013, 08:44 PM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Jan 2 2013, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An extra bonus would be that flamethrowers will be used more often. I like flamethrowers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    qft.
    <!--quoteo(post=2056358:date=Jan 4 2013, 09:23 PM:name=Xnm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xnm @ Jan 4 2013, 09:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->qft.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what do you mean by "qft"? and anyway flamethrowers are useful but some don't see the investment in buying one unless they have jetpacks which i find a bit OP seeing as the jetpacks recharge in 2 seconds which need a nerf so the have a longer recharge time
    <!--quoteo(post=2053575:date=Dec 30 2012, 10:39 PM:name=gio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gio @ Dec 30 2012, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An axe is useless against those massive claws. They could rip an exo apart!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no that would make it OP it will just be stationary when it releases its spore cloud but if a marine decides to attack it with a axe it can use its claws to attack the marine
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    imo flamers are great and anything that encourages their use is only a good thing.
    i really like this idea 1 crustcreep(?) or whatever it's name will be per hive and it only has a medium to a large spore area seems to be a bit fairer since marines can have 4 arcs at the same time to 1 crustcreep seems a bit unfair but 1 per hive seems fairer
    1 per hive may be under powered seeing as AoE, effects a medium to large area(large enough to cover upgrades that are close to each other) the CrustCreep or whatever its name will be, so maybe 2 per hive, there can be an umbra upgrade to them to and AoE of umbra and spore would effectively slow down/stop a marine base rush, and since they will be slower then an ARC by 25% or so, also is umbra destroyed by flamethrowers like spore? P.S. this is to refresh this discussion and to inprove on an idea i had a couple months ago:)
  • IckorusIckorus Join Date: 2012-07-12 Member: 154057Members
    Not sure this is it but Aliens definitely need an 'end-game' or game-ending unit of some description, marines can spend excess resources on ARCs where Aliens have what? Whips? to blow it on.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Love the idea, but like others have said, I'm not sure I'd want it to be an AI/mobile unit.

Instead, it could be a stationary structure that is planted by the Kham. Perhaps 2 hives unlocks research and allows the creation of one--3 hives allows the creation of another, leading to a maximum of 2 at any given time. Of course, the spores should not stack, and there should be some minimum distance between the two required.

At least this would give aliens time to react to an exo train given that their turtling ability is generally horrid.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    I am sure there are map locations that would make this very hard to remove. Place a few whips around it so that it it can hit grenades away. A crag to heal it and the whips. Put a gorge there with a shift and it would be near impossible to get out of there.

As the idea stands, it would be ridiculously hard to get get rid of requiring teamwork gl's and probably fl's also. An arc could. Even if you could get near it, it would still be hard to kill because of the high health. Something that strong would have to have to be easily killed if not placed right or way expensive.

On the basis of the idea, I do think a alien structure that puts out some umbra would be great. Umbra would hinder marine site, would also prevent 50% of damage to all structures in vicinity, and help aliens defend a location. A crag and an little umbra structure with some whips and a shift would make a great forward base.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    If its like Lerk spores then it will basically be a hard area denial. An entire room covered in blinding spores will prevent marines for ever entering. ARCs will be the only response. If it can't be ARCd, then there will be no response. Even with a flamethrower the marines will be completely blind.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Does it have a weak spot where you can attack it for MASSIVE DAMAGE?
  • AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    I like this idea, i would place a limit of 1 per hive. This way if you so wished you could defend each hive or use it to make a forward perimeter line while leaving hives exposed.
    MaLuS wrote: »
    I like this idea, i would place a limit of 1 per hive. This way if you so wished you could defend each hive or use it to make a forward perimeter line while leaving hives exposed.

that was my basic idea a line of defense that is difficult to get past, part of it can be easily countered by Flamers also before they put this is if ever fix the hitbox for spores it'll make it a bit more even, imo it goes well with the asymmetry
    of the game, it'll be the turtling for the aliens they cant turtle effectively, marine turtles are hard to break while an aliens turtle can be broken in seconds with the right weapons and within a minute or so the hive is down and marines win.or as you said MaLuS a forward base, but theres a thing with spore if a noob was in the spore cloud and didnt know how to turn on aliens vision he'll be as blind as the marines,
    xen32 wrote: »
    Does it have a weak spot where you can attack it for MASSIVE DAMAGE?
    do AN structures in the entire game that have a weak spot?no, so why do it now and when a veteran of the game knows where the weak spot is the the Alien ARC will be dead in a short amount of time, all UWE needs to make it a bit more balanced is to make the spore cloud hitbox easier to hit/bigger,

|strofix| wrote: »
    If its like Lerk spores then it will basically be a hard area denial. An entire room covered in blinding spores will prevent marines for ever entering. ARCs will be the only response. If it can't be ARCd, then there will be no response. Even with a flamethrower the marines will be completely blind.
    the devs could implement a marine version of alien vision, could be simple as that, or the could put in gas mask type thing, it'll reduce spore damage little bit and decrease the blinding of the spore cloud a little bit too,
    james888 wrote: »
    I am sure there are map locations that would make this very hard to remove. Place a few whips around it so that it it can hit grenades away. A crag to heal it and the whips. Put a gorge there with a shift and it would be near impossible to get out of there.

As the idea stands, it would be ridiculously hard to get get rid of requiring teamwork gl's and probably fl's also. An arc could. Even if you could get near it, it would still be hard to kill because of the high health. Something that strong would have to have to be easily killed if not placed right or way expensive.

On the basis of the idea, I do think a alien structure that puts out some umbra would be great. Umbra would hinder marine site, would also prevent 50% of damage to all structures in vicinity, and help aliens defend a location. A crag and an little umbra structure with some whips and a shift would make a great forward base.
    an umbra upgrade to the alien ARC similar to Lerk umbra, its AOE would be small and the spore cloud would still be there
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Only way this would work is if marines had a similar ability - powering up a room would prevent cyst placement and cause damage to aliens in the room to prevent aliens from expanding there. Sound stupid? Yeah so is the alien crab idea =) Its already difficult enough for teams to expand, and the last thing we need is more player vs. structure combat..
    joederp wrote: »
    Only way this would work is if marines had a similar ability - powering up a room would prevent cyst placement and cause damage to aliens in the room to prevent aliens from expanding there. Sound stupid? Yeah so is the alien crab idea =) Its already difficult enough for teams to expand, and the last thing we need is more player vs. structure combat..
    well thats your opinion that there doesnt need more player vs structure combat but i like the idea of a marine area denial structure