NS2 is too dark and please bring back mouse wheel down

NokyNoky Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71295Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
I'm an old ns1 vet and I've had this game pre-ordered 4 years before release. I REALLY wanted to be into this game. I played NS1 pretty much from the beginning til NS2 came out in the alpha stage. I'm having a lot of trouble getting into the game, and I'm hoping some one can help me.

Problem #1: NS2 is too dark.

It's super depressing and frustrating. Just walking around in NS2 is annoying. Everything is dark. You have to really focus to try and see something. To the point where it really hurts my eyes. I log on from time to time just to see if they've added some sort of settings so I can change the gamma. I know the game is really trying to go for scary or at least suspensful and sneaky, but I really don't play NS2 for these reasons. I dont play it for the suspense, or to sneak around. I play it to fuck shit up. I don't care if I get surprised from darkness or not. In fact all this gloomy darkness does is make playing more annoying, and depressing than anything. It's more irritating to me when I die because I can't see clearly what's on my screen. I'm not saying we should take out the darkness factor for power nodes. I'm just saying the map lighting should be improved in general to make NS2 a more pleasant experience.

If any one has been doing some sort of thing to improve this annoying feature of NS2, please let me know. Because I have been looking for any setting I can change in the console commands for gamma, but have found nothing.

Problem #2: Can't bind mousewheeldown.

In all the FPS games I play, I have never used space bar. Especially being an avid bunny hopper for tons of different games. I don't care that I can't really bunny hop in the game. I just want to be able to use my mouse wheel down to be able to jump. It's super annoying trying to smash my spacebar when I'm trying to do this new wall jumping skulk thing. I know they said they have been working on this since before release. But nothing has changed.

Anyone have an alternative for this?

I really think these two features are just whats keeping me from playing this game. I play a ton of FPS games and the ones I enjoy most are the ones that are lighted very nicely. All the games that I've put aside because I didn't find them to be fun had dark atmosphere. I just can't stand this dim lighting everywhere I walk whether the power nodes are active or not. It's not bright enough. And as for the jumping in NS2, I'm not happy with the dynamics at all, except for on the aliens. With the marines it feels sluggish, and counter productive. I want to feel fast, and poppy, not some 2 dimensional person that can only walk on the floor.

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited March 2013
    #1 = Do like a lot of people do, and go to your video card options and up the brightness

#2 = I wish I could bind mwheelup/down to jump as well as I am an avid bhopper as well and also do it in games where theres no advantage to doing it.
  • NokyNoky Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71295Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Oh one more thing. They really need to bring back co_ maps. Some times ns_ maps are repetitive and slow paced. Co_ maps really gave a good feel to the game. They allowed us to practice tons of guns and other abilities over and over again, rather than the slow paced NS_ maps.
    eclipszor wrote: »
    Oh one more thing. They really need to bring back co_ maps. Some times ns_ maps are repetitive and slow paced. Co_ maps really gave a good feel to the game. They allowed us to practice tons of guns and other abilities over and over again, rather than the slow paced NS_ maps.

There's already a combat mod that has lots of co_ maps. All you have to do is join a combat server.

• NokyNoky Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71295Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    For some reason I couldnt find any before. I see them now thanks!
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    There are a few combat servers out there, however they tend to go down for about a week with each new patch that comes out. If you found the game to be too dark just do what all the pros do, get a mod that turns all aliens to a shiny pick color.
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    NS1 is almost as dark as NS2 "normally". Just go to the GFX settings and boost desktop gamma, u should know this if u are NS1 vet ;) I find it better that aliens blend more in the enviroment in NS2. In NS1 skulks were too easy to spot coz they were kinda orange.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Wasn't there a thread that complained ns2 is too bright and should be dark like ns1?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I don't see NS2 going for "dark" or "scary" anywhere.

Nothing depressing there, you either have some bright areas as marines with bases that make you feel at home or you have some fluffy infestation and red emergency light that makes you feel at home as well.

The aliens are all designed for sympathy rather than being scary. You have dog-like Skulks that already imply their mischievousness with their look, cute Gorges with harmless Babblers, a somewhat goofy looking Lerk, a Fade with dignity and an Onos that shows you a lot of teeth with it's grin. All because neither faction is the "evil" one.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Everything is dark. You have to really focus to try and see something. To the point where it really hurts my eyes. I log on from time to time just to see if they've added some sort of settings so I can change the gamma..
    What?? Really? Is it that bad for you?
    You may want to see what the game looks like on a decent, new monitor, then.. you may be surprised.

I can see clearly in any light condition, often not even needing a flashlight even if its in a dark corner in mineshaft.
    I've heard people say this before but only infrequently and even then I always wonder if its their hardware or their eyes.
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Wasn't there a thread that complained ns2 is too bright and should be dark like ns1?
    Yes. Just like there was one thread saying railguns were useless, and another calling them OP. :-P

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Everything is dark. You have to really focus to try and see something. To the point where it really hurts my eyes. I log on from time to time just to see if they've added some sort of settings so I can change the gamma..
    You may want to see what the game looks like on a decent, new monitor, then.. you may be surprised.

I can see clearly in any light condition, often not even needing a flashlight even if its in a dark corner in mineshaft.
    I've heard people say this before but only infrequently and even then I always wonder if its their hardware or their eyes.

It's probably because some monitors have a reflective coat nowadays. Those things are so bad I was tempted to whine to the BBB about manufacturers attempting to blind their users.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    If you have bloom on it will help light up some corners. Turn shadows off. If you have a monitor with black equalizer you might try messing with that. Or just ramp up the gamma in your windows settings. Worst case scenario only play as alien and abuse the bright model hacks.

What kind of a monitor r do you have and model year?...... If i have every setting normal gamma/brightness wise, NS2 is very dark and there are many dark corners where I can't see anything.

Hell, there was even a thread awhile back with pics of NS2 with the "spot the skulk" challenge..... I couldn't even come close to seeing the skulks, all areas where they were at were pitch black on my monitor.

My monitor is a regular samsung LCD monitor, model year 2007. (maybe the age of my monitor has something to do with the darkness.)

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I am more annoyed by all the models blending into the industrial backgrounds due to being the same bloody colour.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Res wrote: »

What kind of a monitor r do you have and model year?...... If i have every setting normal gamma/brightness wise, NS2 is very dark and there are many dark corners where I can't see anything.

Hell, there was even a thread awhile back with pics of NS2 with the "spot the skulk" challenge..... I couldn't even come close to seeing the skulks, all areas where they were at were pitch black on my monitor.

My monitor is a regular samsung LCD monitor, model year 2007. (maybe the age of my monitor has something to do with the darkness.)

Have you messed around with your monitor's settings at all since you've had it?
    nSidia wrote: »
    If you have bloom on it will help light up some corners. Turn shadows off. If you have a monitor with black equalizer you might try messing with that. Or just ramp up the gamma in your windows settings. Worst case scenario only play as alien and abuse the bright model hacks.

Thanks, I will try these things.

Squishpoke wrote: »

Have you messed around with your monitor's settings at all since you've had it?

I will also try these things tomorrow morning. The monitor is outdated I suppose. 24" LCD Samsung monitor (SyncMaster 226bw). I really didnt want to go through the hassal of ramping up my gamma from my GPU. so I'm ganna try these things first.
    I will also try these things tomorrow morning. The monitor is outdated I suppose. 24" LCD Samsung monitor (SyncMaster 226bw). I really didnt want to go through the hassal of ramping up my gamma from my GPU. so I'm ganna try these things first.

This is interesting eclipszor, we are experiencing the same thing and I have essentially the same monitor as you, except mine is the 19" version. I'll check my monitor settings when I get home as well.

edited March 2013
    update: eclipszor, I went into my monitor settings and used the MagicZone feature.... holy cow, it made a huge difference in equalizing out dark areas so that they aren't so dark and dark areas are now lighted closer to the rest of rooms. You should be able to do the same thing.

when you select it a small box appears and you stretch it to fit the screen. everything is much crisper/more sharpness as well.
    update: eclipszor, I went into my monitor settings and used the MagicZone feature.... holy cow, it made a huge difference in equalizing out dark areas so that they aren't so dark and dark areas are now lighted closer to the rest of rooms. You should be able to do the same thing.

when you select it a small box appears and you stretch it to fit the screen. everything is much crisper/more sharpness as well.

Happy to hear the problem is all fixed, now you can avoid straining your eyeballs. :)
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    i use mouse2 to jump, try that