How Unknownworlds Could Generate More Res (IRL)

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited February 2013
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Standard to Deluxe upgrade option should be available in the Steam store soon

It's up now! GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEYZ!! :P

Bring back black armor for a limited time, and I'd pay a lot more than $5-10 for it.

Black armor was an exclusive one time event. No more, my black armor is mine.

How about selling an armor gloss, call it "Gorgeous Gloss" in honor of the patch . that would get 5 from me, and my armor can shine ingame
  • SlackeratSlackerat Join Date: 2013-02-25 Member: 183333Members
    since we can attach babblers, maybe later we can attach hydras?

That would be a cool gameplay change. Allow gorges to attach 1 hydra to the back of lerks, 2 on fades, and 3 on onos back that shoot any marines within range of them as the onos charges them down!
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Standard to Deluxe upgrade option should be available in the Steam store soon

It's up now! GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEYZ!! :P

Bring back black armor for a limited time, and I'd pay a lot more than $5-10 for it.

Maybe only allow black armor purchasable to those with 1000 hours played, so that the black armor will remain sacred.
    Or we only let the people who preordered pre-July 2010 who didn't even know if the game was going to come out keep it.
    Hey that's when I per-ordered but I didn't fork over the extra money for black armor.
  • HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    Industry wrote: »
    I have the black armor purchase from like almost 2 years ago.
    Where do I get these deluxe purchase things like the artbook and whatnot?

deluxe folder in your game directory.

ty
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    just add an "donate money" button i will give you money for free! 430 hours gamefun for 22€ i pay another 10 just for giving us what you already do!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Exoskelett wrote: »
    just add an "donate money" button i will give you money for free! 430 hours gamefun for 22€ i pay another 10 just for giving us what you already do!
    Yeah I'd buy in to a new Constellation program.
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    It's simple fact that without a large amount of programming time spent reworking the game's guts, NS2 is not going to be able to support character customisation. That's not to say we don't want it to be able to. It just would be very expensive, and we have to carefully consider where we spend money :).

I totally get that there are complexities. But, I don't recall any marketing studies or business analysis or any surveys for that matter that has been initiated to at least attempt to quantify the economic feasibility -- but that's not saying that UWE hasn't. Does UWE have a good idea of what we'd be willing to pay for some sort of customization? Until then, one might say that you won't know what kind of revenues you might achieve to offset development expenses for a custom system.

Yes, it may cost $500,000 to implement, which is extremely expensive, but if your ROI is 500% generating $2.5 million, would it not be worthwhile?

As many have mentioned previously, TF2 hats is a prime example. They increased revenues by 12x.
    http://gamasutra.com/view/news/164922/GDC_2012_How_Valve_made_Team_Fortress_2_freetoplay.php#.US_yfzCsh8E
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    How come NS 2 isn't on the steam store frontpage?

Really deserves some more attention
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    Anyone got any res collection ideas outside cosmetic stuff?

PLUSH TOYS
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    Sorry, I should clarify why it's tough to make the business case for the cosmetics. It's not the creation of the content that would be the problem. It's the back end. Suddenly, NS2 has to have user account logins, we have to have a payment system, we have to overall our animation and model handling, we have to authenticate content against user accounts, etc etc it all adds up and would cost lots of moolah.

it seems to work fine with the 3 different types of marine armor- could you use the same system for other costmic items?

I'd love a fade that looks more evil.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    a gorge that looks even cuter
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    I want a baseball cap with the TSF logo on it, or maybe just the letters TSF.
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    I think the demand is there UWE, time to put up a poll.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Having a donate button could probably go some length in keeping the game along for longer too, that and some special collectors edition or whatever.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I would buy some well-made handsomely-designed merchandise. T-shirts, polos, patches, pins, medallions, figurines, plushies...
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    edited March 2013
    Remember that dynamic infestation video on the source engine? No? Then you don't get black armor. Being selfish here but I dropped 60 (?) bucks with the thought, well if it never comes out at least I paid them for my ns1 experience. Those of us that did that should be the only ones with black armor. I personally would be very upset if they brought it back,

But really, I'm down for anything beneficial to the game and the company, aside from the aforementioned black armor.

Hell I just purchased a 3rd copy (5 total) to give away. Getting more people to play is another way to support the game. Just saying.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    I have the black armor purchase from like almost 2 years ago.
    Where do I get these deluxe purchase things like the artbook and whatnot?
    The black armor is a DLC key, if you dont allready have it in your account, use the key retrialval @ humble bundle.
    deluxe folder in your game directory.
    Is correct.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Lonewulfza wrote: »
    -WildCat- wrote: »
    The one thing that I would suggest Unknown Worlds does is add a "Standard to Deluxe Edition Upgrade" to the Steam store. Remember that several thousand gift copies of the Standard Edition were given out to those that pre-ordered early. Many of the people that received those gift copies might now be wishing that they had the Deluxe Edition armor and the other goodies.

I completely agree with this. I bought the standard edition at launch because I didnt know if the game was any good. Not long after I bought it, I returned to the NS2 steam store page and wanted to buy the deluxe edition, yet steam does not allow you to have more than one copy of the game which made me SUPER sad. PLEASE PLEASE let us be able to upgrade(pay extra) to upgrade to the deluxe edition!

Or does anyone know how I can get rid of my standard edition and re-buy a deluxe edition?

Great idea! We'll look into it soon.

Suggestion:
    If you upgrade from Standard to Deluxe, have standard become a gift.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The black armor is a DLC key, if you dont allready have it in your account, use the key retrialval @ humble bundle.

Does this mean it is possible to buy an unused black armor code from someone for a generous sum of money?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Does this mean it is possible to buy an unused black armor code from someone for a generous sum of money?

Technically yes, but good luck finding one.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Industry wrote: »

Technically yes, but good luck finding one.

Too all sellers- bidding starts at $10.
  • AWhiteAWhite Join Date: 2007-07-26 Member: 61685Members
    Kickstarter? Concerned you can't sell all those Gorge Plushies you want made? Kickstart them first and you know you can cover the minimum run.
  • DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm sure this has probably been suggested before but while I understand that not all people are interested in them, selling merchandise can be a very profitable solution, and particularly if you are building a mythos outside of the game in the form of books and comics. Given many of the players who keep with the game are pretty invested in its survival (i.e. fanatics ;P ) I'm sure you would have many interested parties in bringing Natural Selection out of the computer and into people's homes.

Gorge plushies to start with yo.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Make a single player campaign as a expansion and sell it. (dont you ever dare make a multiplayer option on that. We want to keep NS2 breathing hehe)

Im sure there is lore enough to base more on. Engine is there, game is there. Make it a 'payable mod' and there you go.
    And as its 'just you' the big logic thread would be less problematic right?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I went and bought a copy for a random dude from my steam friends page. I figured there's no constellation, and it's a double bonus for UWE in any case (money AND another player), although a donate button presumably would give UWE 100% of the donation, whereas buying extra copies of the game means they get less (because of Valve's cut, anyone else has a cut?).

For the many hours of great entertainment NS2 has already provided so far, it works out stupidly cheap! :)

Roo
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i would totally buy a gorge plushie. or 3.
    Make a single player campaign as a expansion and sell it.

Single-player campaigns are vastly more expensive than multiplayer-only games. UWE doesn't have the staff or capital to produce a single-player campaign, and even if they could hire the staff and raise the capital, they probably couldn't sell enough copies to pay for it.

NS2 is a niche game. More's the pity.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    How about Natural Selection: Mobile?

I spend a lot of time travelling to and from work and quite a lot of that time is spent on a coach. I tend to play mobile games a lot. I'm not talking a fully fledged online multiplayer shoot 'em up here, but there could be many different ways of imagining a mobile friendly game set in ns lore. There's sure as hell a market for mobile games!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    As the NS2 lerk is kinda funny aswell..
    Lerk plushy
    Roobubba wrote: »
    How about Natural Selection: Mobile?

The potential of a Kharaa-themed Farmville is to great to ignore.