The Lerk Change: Smoke Trails on Spikes

Comments

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Aliens aren't really supposed to have long range attack though. Ranged vs melee and all that.

OT: I don't mind if there are tracers, right now they make it almost impossible to see a somewhat good lerk. I'd like to see the tracer effect toned down just a bit though.
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    edited March 2013
    I like the change actually... lerks were insane in some places such as crevice or cave prior to this change. Not too keen on the actual visuals of the smoke trail though.

I think it would look far better with a matrix bullet-time style effect. Similar to the refraction effect on cloak. Wouldn't be as obvious either.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    How are we feeling about this a few days later? I still think it should be toned down a bit.
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6146Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My lerk playstyle never really incorporated sitting in one place spiking things for a long time because, for one it's quite boring and secondly you're quite vulnerable as a lerk whenever you're sitting still no matter how far away you are. So I'm fine with this change as I never really thought of the long-distance spike annoyance to be the major strength of the lerk.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members

How are we feeling about this a few days later? I still think it should be toned down a bit.
    Still dislike it, removes any chance of a lerk being sneaky....might as well put a big spot light on him.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Should just add lens flare to lerk instead.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I still don't think it's much a problem. Sure it might be toned down, but its not really all that necessary.

Lerks being sneaky are just like skulks being sneaky, you don't attack until you have the best opportunity. Shooting without tracers still gave away that you were there, this just helps them pinpoint where the spikes came from. Lots of times you can still kill a marine on his own before he even figures out what hit him.

Silence is still useful for the quick in and out of a lerk. Most of the time while I'm frantically swooping in and out for the bites I miss all my spikes anyhow.

I would definitely say this is a major change in favor of the marines but so be it.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Why do Lerk-spikes have tracers anyway?
    The Lerk's spikes are pretty much insta-hit with no gravitational penalty, so there shouldn't be a need for tracerrounds.
    So for an evolving lifeform, it makes no sense to even "research" it...that's not how evolution works.

Instead, how about giving the Lerk's spike-nozzles a faint glow when being used?
    A marine will have to start searching for it, in far away dark corners.
    Makes the confrontation much more fun and balanced imo...because he's hunting a stealthy lifeform.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    too much smoke. daft idea really. If marines had that much of an issue finding a spiking lerk then they had bigger issues.
  • deathst4rdeathst4r Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19365Members
    UWE, please remove the tracer effect on spikes.

It is ridiculous and so over-the-top graphics-wise, at least in my opinion. Besides: I think, it seriously dulls alien gameplay and fun... like the skulk movement nerf after nerf after nerf...
    Why? Oh, why? :D
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    I love this change. It is forcing pub players to actually play. I always hated seeing the worthless lerk doing nothing for the team. Now they get shot for being worthless. It is teaching people to play and contribute to the team.
  • Out0fAmmoOut0fAmmo Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67697Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I agree with the others that say the tracer effect is needed, but is currently overdone and could be scaled back a bit.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i think it looks fine
  • HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    It's a good change.

There are locations in Central Drilling in which are extremely difficult to even hit a lerk, let alone if you could find where the lerk was shooting from.
    Lerk sniping was always boring and sort of silly. The marine dependency on power is already a hindering, couple that with the potential for one person to take it out from a distance, and it's just a boring mechanic. Marines don't have anything near the equivalent.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Too much tracer effect, hard to aim at the lerk. This actually ends up helping the battle lerk because you just can't see him. Just tone it down some...tracers are needed, but not this much.

Also, why are the lerk hit boxes so whacked? It's not like he has two huge flappy wings or anything.
  • alf90alf90 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    Can't say this change has affected my lerk play much, i can kill marines just as easily and i can harass, even destroy structures just as easily.
    Sure marines can find me a lot quicker now but that doesn't worry me, as when i harass structures i make sure i do so from a place where i can see all the entrances to that room/area, and as soon as i see marines entering i either fly away, or engage depending on how many marines there are.

If you're roosting and spiking, and a marine is able to enter the room/area, aim at you and kill you before you move away, you deserved to die.

As others have said, i find this change more annoying as a marine, as the smoke effect is so OTT it actually makes aiming at the lerk more difficult.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I see no one mentioning their delay, either. Am i the only one noticing this and who finds it to be a distraction when moving my spikes onto a target?
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    moultano wrote: »
    Being spiked from a distance with no effective way to find the lerk was one of the most annoying things in the game. It could occupy the entire marine team for quite a while. This change makes the game more fun.

There's this brilliant thing called "scanning".
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I see no one mentioning their delay, either. Am i the only one noticing this and who finds it to be a distraction when moving my spikes onto a target?
    You are not the only one.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »

I just use alien vision to offset the smoke. It's worse for the poor marines, who have to see through the smoke to hit me fine.

I love this change, actually makes spikes worthwhile in an active engagement. Before the tracers, I would just spike once, bite, and flee. Now I can actually fly around and shoot the marines because the smoke gives me a little cover.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I like the trails, but it wasn't entirely necessary to add them. What was entirely necessary was for them to fix the shooting sound.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a veritable sentinel when it comes to sound. Nothing gets past me. Yet there could be a Lerk spiking me from 2 meters above my head, and the audio would make it sound like it could be in 1000 different indistinct locations.

If the audio was fine, this wouldn't have been needed. Unfortunately I think this change is easier than fixing that. Too bad it reduces the effectiveness of silence.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    This by no means makes a lerk less effective as a harasser, in rooms like Central on Mineshaft where there's so much room to fly around, I'd say it actually makes harassing more effective. The marines know you're there and will keep sending more and more away from the front until they either kill you or you leave. Myself and another lerk kept something like 3-5 marines running around Central trying to kill us for a good portion of the battle. You've just got to play it smarter now, faster.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    When was it decided that it was okay to add something to the game i.e. lerk spike trails that would make all shade evolutions useless?

The same topic was brought up long ago with the observatories that it should not passively decloak and show alien locations on cloaked aliens even after a scan. This idea was shot down due to UWE not wanting aliens to have something that could make something of the marines non effective. Well this just happened with the lerk.
  • DuncorDuncor Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183759Members
    I dont mind the idea in theory. But the effect seems over the top to me. I think it would be good if it were fainter, so that a marine could miss it during a fight, but if its a lone lerk attacking a base or trying to snipe from a ceiling, then its easy enough to trace back when you're looking for it. Not just a giant shoot here sign for anyone that's not completely asleep.

It was kind of rediculous how easy spikes were to use before though, some people were completely oblivious. So it's a good mechanic, just needs tweaking.
  • Marshall_DrumminMarshall_Drummin Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174115Members
    I understand why tracers were implemented in the game, but I disagree with tracers completely. With skulk movement severely toned down, tracers are overkill in nerfing alien early game. It seems counter-intuitive to have the aliens only true ranged combat class to be pinpointed instantly. Should we have the marines fire tracers too?
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Should we have the marines fire tracers too?

They do

• Marshall_DrumminMarshall_Drummin Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174115Members
    i stand corrected.
  • deathst4rdeathst4r Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19365Members
    edited March 2013
    If UWE sticks to the tracers on spikes, maybe it would be a good idea to consider this idea:

--> If a Lerk chooses a shade upgrade (Silence or Camo) he will not fire tracers anymore.

That would be a fine compromise, I guess.