Priorities

rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
Rate the following items only in order of importance 1 through 3.

[balance]
[performance]
[new maps]
[new game features]
[better graphics / spark improvements]
[new community mods]

Giving reasons for your ratings is advised.

{
1. Performance; Simply to bring in more players and make the game personally more enjoyable. Most people I know that own the game that don't play anymore do so because of such poor FPS.
2. New Maps; New maps are exciting. Make the game seem less repetitive to me than new things like babblers or tunnels. Not that I don't enjoy those.
3. New Game Features; Make the game also more exciting and bring in new players. Helps keep the old ones too.
}

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Performance
    Balance

better graphics
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    I think balance is job #1. Then new features. Then new maps.

I don't think there's a lot that can be done regarding performance. That is just a consequence of the design decision to use Lua. The good news is that this matters less over time as more powerful cpus become cheaper and more people upgrade.

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    1. Performance; Still not at a level where most people want it. Closes off many potential players.

But at this point I do not think performance can be increased significantly for what people are expecting. Mostly because you can only do so much with a scripting language and like others have said: diminishing returns. Not sure what they can do about this. Would require some sort of miracle.

2. Balance is important for obvious reasons. No one likes playing a one sided game or a game that feels like a chore. Keeping the game fun for all types of players is the most important thing for any game's survival in addition to getting as close as possible to the the 50/50 win rate.

3. Game features/Maps(Sorry they're both too good to leave out)- Obviously needed for keeping the game interesting. New maps add more props and assets for other mappers to use and give the game a new fresh feel. New game play mechanics are always welcome to possibly stir up reused strategies a bit depending on how good they are.
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    There's really no reason to rate these items in importance, because they all are important. The good news is that we can work, and are working, on most of those at the same time.

I thought NS2 didn't do multithreading?
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    [Netcode Improvements]
    [new game features]
    [Performance]
    [balance]

long long way nothing...

[better graphics / spark improvements]
    [new community mods]
    [new maps] (should be done by community in my opinion)
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    edited March 2013
    How many useful posts have you made, besides "zero"? There is useful feedback and there is not. This is not. --Comprox
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2013
    rmbrown09 wrote: »
    There's really no reason to rate these items in importance, because they all are important. The good news is that we can work, and are working, on most of those at the same time.

ouch.

Before Gorgeous:
    Performance>Balance>Performance>Balance>rest

After Gorgeous:
    Performance>Performance>Performance>Balance>rest
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer

At max load, the client uses about 2.2 cores, if you have multi-core rendering on. Server uses about 1.1 core. So there is some multithreading.

The problem is that Lua does not support multithreading, so only one thread can use the Lua VM at a time.

To get around this, the client actually have two Lua VMs running, one dedicated to client-side prediction (as Charlie mentions in the Gamasutra post-mortem).
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    matso wrote: »

At max load, the client uses about 2.2 cores, if you have multi-core rendering on. Server uses about 1.1 core. So there is some multithreading.

The problem is that Lua does not support multithreading, so only one thread can use the Lua VM at a time.

To get around this, the client actually have two Lua VMs running, one dedicated to client-side prediction (as Charlie mentions in the Gamasutra post-mortem).

That is news to me. I thought ns2 only used 1.05 cores.
  • 0+0=00+0=0 Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149263Members
    the performance issues blow my mind, like getting JFK'd around corners as skulk and especially fade. bit by the tail ends of skulks (or from what seems like 10 feet away even while jetpacking). Even the new first person spectating is so choppy that it's difficult for me to see how any of the pros legitimately play this game because the screen will cut to the rendered frame in which the kill took place, instead of showing how they actually were aiming and how it actually compensated for the interp. It's a very small difference i know but in a game where there is no room for even the slightest error it would be nice to see..

I for one have logged many hours on this game and i'm getting very tired of the horrible interp or lag compensation, whatever it is, because it utterly ruins the gameplay for me to have to predict with a laser-accurate rifle where the lag compensation will actually land the bullets. the 75-100ms interp that it creates is trying.

Something I need explained to me after a little lerking on the forums is this:

I don't understand if this is due to the lack of core useage, or if this is a programming issue, or if this is doomed to happen because of the language the game is programmed in, but after reading this thread I wonder why would you even "release" a game in a generation of computers that almost exclusively use multi-core processors. Just look at the Steam stats about what processors people use. Is this ever gonna be fixed?

Sure, all the things in OP are important, but if the PERFORMANCE is not efficient, how can you balance a game?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    matso wrote: »

Actually depends on the setup & cpu.
    If anyone has a i7 I would suggest letting turbo kick in.
    When it does for me, it goes to 1core as it hits the biggest gain then.

Damn man, what kind of monster cpu are you using if its happy with keeping it on 2 cores. :p
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Not letting bugs get thru that can overheat and damage someones cpu.