Connection problems? Here's some solutions

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That's flooding alright. Your router is the culprit. (Wish you stated which brand and model it was) Confirm this by eliminating it from the equation and connect directly to your modem.

Did you try the suggested fixes like steam's server browser refresh rate? Or router settings like NAT sessions per user etc? Regardless, I'd still test without the router to quickly eliminate possibilities.
  • NeuroPixelNeuroPixel Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154141Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Hi, thanks for the reply. The BT Home Hub 2 is an all-in-one wireless router and DSL modem provided by UK ISP BT. I've done a bit more research and if you have a "Type A" (Shown on the label at the back of the router, bottom left) it is indeed manufactured by Thomson.

If you don't have telnet access I did the following:

+ Per the first post set Steam > Settings > Downloads > Game server browser max pings/minute to 500. Try 250 if you still get problems.
    + Disable UPnP by logging into the router > Settings > Advanced Settings (Select continue) > Port Forwarding > UPnP > Select Off and Apply.
    + Make sure you have Firmware Version 8.1.H.U (Type A). See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11585 This introduced a partial fix. Check this in Settings > Advanced Settings (Select continue) > System > Firmware
    + If the above still doesn't work try a wired connection using Ethernet port 1.

Sorry if I have wasted your time IronHorse, I should have researched the router better, but thanks for your reply and help. After a few lag free games I'm now a happy NS2 player once more :)

The server browser maybe slower but it has also stabilised my ping to around 50-60 instead of 70+
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Glad to hear you fixed it!
    Its okay.. its why theres big fonts on the first post here regarding that router. :)
    Most people assume the game is broken.. but more often than not there are just a lot of shoddy hardware thats manufactured out there that doesn't follow typical standards. That router in particular has loads of issues with most games, from just a quick google search.

Thanks for posting the fix btw!
    I'll add that new step to the front page.
  • freehotdawgsfreehotdawgs Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176591Members
    I posted here months ago and haven't heard anything since, awesome. Good job team. I'm glad I spent money on a game that doesn't work. I've only been able to play one game since I bought it. I don't understand what the problem could be, are there any ports I need to forward? Why does every game I own work online except for this one... Do we know anything about this problem?
  • X-pxMaSX-pxMaS Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25430Members
    @freehotdawgs : its just me here volunteering my time, I'm sorry Its difficult to keep ontop of everything sometimes!

Have you tried typing "retry" in the console ("~" key) after you see this while connecting?
    It works for me, as i have this same exact issue when tethered to a 4G phone.
    Have you tried the front page fixes such as lowering your steam refresh server rate to the lowest??
    It helps me, i know that much.
    Hi!

Here i give the additional data of my problem (seems to be memory leak?).
    Scenario:
    I have just started the net_log when the problem was there (red connector icon, prediction increases) than the problem disappeared and came back again very soon.

Attached the dxdiag and net_log data:
    http://pastebin.com/U8dFx978
    http://pastebin.com/9yS2c8PF

"Error: 8 memory leaks in 'ClientWorld' (3072 bytes)
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Error: 8 memory leaks in 'Client' (3072 bytes)
    Error: 8 memory leaks in 'Engine' (3072 bytes)"

Thanks in advance!

BR,
    Janos
  • fighteriifighterii Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183618Members
    edited March 2013
    Hey,

I'm using a open VPN connection. Other Steam Games just work fine (e.g. DOTA2, Team Fortress...), just NS won't start a server -> Timeout.

Net log:
    http://pastebin.com/gdpcKuqR

Dxdiag:
    http://pastebin.com/i2hnwBCF

P.S.: Lowered Max pings to 500 - no difference. No Firewall activated.
    Hi!
    I still have this issue described before and i have tried a few different steam games as well. All of them is running perfectly independently from the number of the players...
    I would appreciate some feedback from the technical support.
    Please request for more details if needed!

Thanks in advance!

BR,
    Janos
    edited March 2013
    The few memory leaks occurring are supposedly already known and should not be causing any issues in game, but they will be fixed in the next patch (not in the hotfix) anyways.

I believe you are experiencing the same thing from here, pxMas?
    Please provide the same information that bentring did, while experiencing those symptoms.
    Thanks!

@fighterii : is this only for starting your own server or for joining servers as well?
    Hi IronHorse!

Thanks for the reply!

I have uploaded the net logs and the dxdiag in my previous post and i will take the same with the demo on tomorrow. I see that was uploaded by bentring in addition, wasn't it? Do You need anything else?

BR,
    Janos
    X-pxMaS wrote: »
    Hi!

Here i give the additional data of my problem (seems to be memory leak?).
    Scenario:
    I have just started the net_log when the problem was there (red connector icon, prediction increases) than the problem disappeared and came back again very soon.

Attached the dxdiag and net_log data:
    http://pastebin.com/U8dFx978
    http://pastebin.com/9yS2c8PF

"Error: 8 memory leaks in 'ClientWorld' (3072 bytes)
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Error: 8 memory leaks in 'Client' (3072 bytes)
    Error: 8 memory leaks in 'Engine' (3072 bytes)"

Thanks in advance!

BR,
    Janos
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Not specificly my connection problem, but more server.. but related. because things do not add up.

Attached are 2 files. 1 is part of the logfile, basicly after I enabled net_log 3.
    2nd is the ping for all, as you can see the server tick rate was great and during the whole bad ping phase there was no choke.

I tend to play a lot on the gamedeluxe servers, and in all previous games they have been the example of stable servers with very good latency. :)
  • MeldityMeldity Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183593Members
    Happily enjoying the game, however sometimes(once every several hours) i will get a long unplugged red symbol on the left for about a minute before it says 'time out'. during this time, i can still be on my browsers and have to restart my game in order to connect again.

i'm using a motorola modem with ethernet. do not use a router or wireless connection.

dxdiag: http://pastebin.com/XifUesht
    log: http://pastebin.com/tFRyArZy
    edited March 2013
    @pxmas : Thanks for the info, we are investigating.

@dc_darkling : hot fix going out today *May* include a fix for recent poor server performance since the gorgeous patch. Let's see if it fixes this

@meldity : hmm
    If this is easily reproduceable* in a relatively fast time frame (less than 5 minutes) can you run wire shark and capture a log with it while this happens? Also have net_stats on in the console (~ key) and take a screenshot (f12) when this occurs.
    Net_log 3 will capture Info of course but something tells me it won't say anything helpful.

*I know you said every few hours, is that the only time it happens? And if so is it predictable? If so investigate dhcp lease / renew times in your modem's settings (usually 192.168.0.1 in a web browser but may be different for your modem, search online) these logs I'm looking for you to capture may be too big if it takes hours to reproduce, but it sounds like you have two monitors since you can use a browser at the same time?

edit: have you tried any of the steps i mentioned on the fist page like Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User : Change from default 1024 to the max 4096 ??
  • fighteriifighterii Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183618Members
    @IronHorse: Also if i'm trying to join some public servers (not full or empty)
    edited March 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »

@meldity : hmm
    If this is easily reproduceable* in a relatively fast time frame (less than 5 minutes) can you run wire shark and capture a log with it while this happens? Also have net_stats on in the console (~ key) and take a screenshot (f12) when this occurs.
    Net_log 3 will capture Info of course but something tells me it won't say anything helpful.

*I know you said every few hours, is that the only time it happens? And if so is it predictable? If so investigate dhcp lease / renew times in your modem's settings (usually 192.168.0.1 in a web browser but may be different for your modem, search online) these logs I'm looking for you to capture may be too big if it takes hours to reproduce, but it sounds like you have two monitors since you can use a browser at the same time?

edit: have you tried any of the steps i mentioned on the fist page like Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User : Change from default 1024 to the max 4096 ??

Sometimes twice within an hour. Issue still happening at the moment.

The problem is not predictable but when I do get the red plug icon and hit ESC to look at the main menu, it's magically fine again until it decides to do it again after awhile. However this only works when I haven't opened the main for the first time when the map has changed, which is suggesting something in the netcode that whatever happens when I open the main menu for the first time from pressing ESC fixes my connection in the game.(I understand this may sound confusing, but trust me word for word) Otherwise if I can't resolve the red plug icon i have to restart the game just to use the server browser and connect anywhere.

Also those MAX NAT/Firewall settings said they are for a router but i'll try to see what i can do, i believe i already looked at everything though.

And sorry, when I said "also I can view my browsers when I have the red plug screen of death" I meant I can still reload pages on firefox and go on websites. And no i don't have two monitors i use alt+tab. During the red plug screen of death i can't reload the server page on the game.

: )
  • Timmy_The_Moon_PigTimmy_The_Moon_Pig Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183810Members
    Hi
    Since the update I keep getting the red plug socket

NetLog

DXDiag

I hope its an easy fix as I love this game and hate not being able to play it.
    hello! i've made a post about joining a 32 man server and somehow changing some settings have stopped me from having the red plug of death, i'll provide data here but check out these threads as well as i continue :]

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2094894#Comment_2094894

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2093952#Comment_2093952
  • maxeggermaxegger Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184406Members
    http://pastebin.com/FkWZnuSV
    heres the link for the log data...but still having the server problems ...ALREADY TRIED MANY FIXES...
  • maxeggermaxegger Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184406Members
    THANK U VERY MUCH...tried it again and now my pings r under 50 :P THX VERY MUCH MAX UR THE BEST
    Not sure what changed for you in one day? No patch was released? hehe..

@meldity : what settings did you change exactly? would be helpful to post it here for others.
  • RustInPiecesRustInPieces Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65210Members
    First time I've had trouble connecting. I can't get past Authenticating.

http://pastebin.com/JwiciAkk
    Restart steam, generally works. If not try changing steam server location and then restart steam again
  • intrikintrik Join Date: 2003-10-05 Member: 21451Members
    Hi Guys,

Wondering if anybody can help? I recently started playing NS2 and I seem to have a weird "lag" issue.

It's not laggy precisely. I'll try and explain.

Ping is good, ping seems stable.

The feeling I get is the "sticky" feeling, it's the same feeling you got when you were downloading something and trying to play NS1, or CS or any half life mode, the "choke" feelings (when you actually had some choke in your net graph) so you "stick" to other players and buildings. Players would lag and be "choppy", almost like stop motion animation.

I get this feeling in NS2. When I'm dead (spectating) I can see players literally "jumpy" like stop motion. 1 update every few moments kind of thing. When trying to track skulks the same things happen, they're "choppy".

I've tried a few things, in the background I've tried steady pings to multiple sources (e.g. 2 local DNS providors, google.com etc) and they all ping steady (eg 25ms to 50ms each return). I've tried turning on consistent NAT in my firewall. I've tried forwarding all TCP and UDP ports (sometimes commonly referred to in some routers as DMZ) to the internal IP of my computer, I've tried configuring QOS for all traffic to/from my computer. I've disconnected all computers and removed the WAP from my network and ensured my computer is the only device. I've run netstat on my computer to ensure no other applicables are using the internet. I've basically tried everything I can think of, I still get the choppy, sticky, laggy feeling.

For example a skulk running straight at me, slowly, not moving sideways, not moving up a wall, not doing anything just running down a hallway straight at me, I am aiming directly at the skulk and I empty an entire clip and NOTHING.

I played a LOT of NS1 in the day, and trying not to blow my own trumpet, but I was good. How the crappers can I not kill a skulk that isn't strafing, bhopping, running up a wall, just running straight at me - how can I not empty a whole clip and kill it?

There's no choke when I bring up net_stats, not waiting on my GPU, I don't think it's FPS related, regardless of if I get 15 FPS or 170FPS I still get the "choppy" kind of "stop motion" feeling when spectating or tracking players. I just can't figure out what it is. I've run a net_log 3 (or whatever it was) to collect the txt file of the connection. Should I paste it up here or does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
    edited April 2013
    @intrik : host it somewhere like pastebin.com and put the link here

I know you DMZd your router, but have you tried connecting straight to your modem, wired?
  • intrikintrik Join Date: 2003-10-05 Member: 21451Members
    I actually haven't, mainly because it's a bit of a pain in the ass, but you're right it is a good diagnostic step.

My configuration is:

- ADSL2 Modem > PPPoE Passthrough to Firewall WAN port
    - Firewall does authentication using PPPoE with 1492 MTU (1500MTU is too much and packets needs to be fragmented).
    - Switch connects to Firewall to core switch
    - Core switch connects to office switch
    - Computer connects to office switch.

The funny thing is other games work fine? I'll post up the log file later.
    Doing that step eliminates many factors. Highly recommend trying it first ;-)
  • AirikAirik Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184800Members
    3 months without ns2 and FINALLY figured it out with the red plug/net lag.

All I needed to do was go into system and network sharing and turn off network discovery....can NOT believe it was that god damn simple, its good to be home!
    What? Why did that fix it and how did you "discover" it? @airik?
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    edited April 2013
    http://pastebin.com/PBSUab3Q
    http://pastebin.com/N3hhgVWv

4G modem (external) - Ethernet

My problem consists of 1-10 second lag-spikes every few minutes. Sometimes several times per minute. Seems to be worse on some servers. Very few lags in other games.
This discussion has been closed.