Can shoot, can pickup weapons. Cannot buy anything, cannot f4, ect.

2»

Comments

• WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    edited March 2013
    Confirm that I receive the bug when loading "OldF Geriatric Ward". I have a slightly different experience, I'll edit this post in a bit with dxdiag and appdata. My experience is that IMMEDIATELY nothing works. I always join and hit f1 or f2 (which are bound to j1 and j2) and join the team with less people. Those keys don't work and I'm immediately clued in. No 5 second wait, and I know I'm boned.

Tried deleting my /Workshop folder and rejoining OldF: No change.

Deleted json files from appdata: No change.

Sent files to ironhorse.
  • FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    WillzZz wrote: »
    Confirm that I receive the bug when loading "OldF Geriatric Ward". I have a slightly different experience, I'll edit this post in a bit with dxdiag and appdata. My experience is that IMMEDIATELY nothing works. I always join and hit f1 or f2 (which are bound to j1 and j2) and join the team with less people. Those keys don't work and I'm immediately clued in. No 5 second wait, and I know I'm boned.

Tried deleting my /Workshop folder and rejoining OldF: No change.

Deleted json files from appdata: No change.

Sent files to ironhorse.

If you check my reply earlier, what I just bolded triggers the bug state. You can't use those binds on certain servers, like GW without getting in a bugged state. You can't go to readyroom either when you're on a team, because that will put you in a bugged state. In addition, you don't want to type anything three characters or less in chat, as that will put you in a bugged state.
  • psiablopsiablo Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183681Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can confirm I have had this same issue multiple times only in build 240.

I use the j1, j2 binds to join teams from the lobby. Some servers work fine and have no issues. However, some other servers when I attempt to use the bind, put me into the bugged state.

If you disconnect from the server, rejoin, not use the bind, and choose a team, all is well and works.

No mods installed, verified game cache, re-installed game, all no help.

Servers this happen on seem to be hit and miss. I don't play on modded (yellow) servers.

Bugged state causes the following:
    - Team and All chat (typed not voice) don't work.
    - If commanding, you can not logout, place structures, use any of the GUI or hotkeys to complete actions.
    - You can not go back to the lobby (via bind or through the menu option).
    - Q, Z, X, and H binds (health, ammo, commo rose, etc) do not do anything.

Pretty much the only thing you can do at that point is either disconnect from the server, and kill players.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I tried testing on the OldF server to see if I could reproduce the problem, and I can't even join the teams using "j1" and "j2". Are you getting any errors in your server log? I think you should remove the DAK mod for the time being. Sometimes bugs can come in pairs, so just because removing it didn't eliminate all problems, doesn't mean that it isn't causing any problems.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The OldF server is broke. Sometimes you don't get access to console, chat, commander interface, or buying weapons from armory/evolving.
  • FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Max wrote:
    I tried testing on the OldF server to see if I could reproduce the problem, and I can't even join the teams using "j1" and "j2". Are you getting any errors in your server log? I think you should remove the DAK mod for the time being. Sometimes bugs can come in pairs, so just because removing it didn't eliminate all problems, doesn't mean that it isn't causing any problems.

Thanks for the reply Max. I'll disable it later today. I'll see if I can schedule another wipe/restore of our server and I'll just leave it like that for testing purposes.

On another note, I was just playing on "NSP's house of alien rampage" (or something like that). They had a random and map voting plugin in, which leads me to believe they were running DAK. I could not induce the bug through known methods on that server. I'm quite perplexed on exactly what criteria causes a server to foster a buggy environment.

Edit: Here's a copy of the contents of log.txt from /logs/

http://pastebin.com/pu5RsByz
  • psiablopsiablo Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183681Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Max wrote: »

The reason why you "can't even join" using the binds is because you are initializing the issue as soon as you use the bind. You could also initialize the issue by chatting something with three characters or less.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Cant wait to hear how a fresh install on the server goes without any mods
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whats interesting about this issue is that I have also encountered it, on unmodded servers and on modded servers (but I can play fine on others). Also I have had it happen where a friend has the issue, and on the same server at the same time I do not. I noticed that during this time I do not see him as being connected to the server (maybe only for a brief second). It appears as if he gets disconnected the instant he joins the game.

It also seems that there is 2 portions to the bug (or atleast 2 manifestations). One were your stuck in the readyroom, everyone has 0 ping/scoreboard is empty and you cannot move/jointeam or do anything. The other is where you can play normally, but cannot chat/use teamjoin binds, or buy anything at the armory/use evolve menu. Interestingly it seems you can still use voicechat.

Let me know if I can help with debugging for this at all.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the info xDragon,
    Please continue debugging and attempting to isolate this, as the devs and PTs are doing the same thing right now as i type this.

Any reliable information is useful at this point,
    Thanks!
  • McRiot_OldFMcRiot_OldF Join Date: 2013-02-17 Member: 183130Members
    edited March 2013

As I recall the OldF server was wiped and re-installed after the patch went out and the server became bug'd. We did not have DAK running at the time and it still bug'd but we can always see what a second wipe and re-install does. I to have been on servers with and without mods that have had the same bug.

Its weird though that Official UWE servers aren't producing the same results..
    I wonder if its a regional steam server issue..
    I posted a video showing the bug, and how to replicate it.

As I recall the OldF server was wiped and re-installed after the patch went out and the server became bug'd. We did not have DAK running at the time and it still bug'd but we can always see what a second wipe and re-install does. I to have been on servers with and without mods that have had the same bug.

I just want to be clear here, this bug was occurring before and after the server wipe/restore. I first started getting reports on the day after the 240 release.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    edited March 2013
    If it' sregional, worth mentioning our previous Next Level Gaming server (seattle) had the bug right after gorgeous patch as well. NCIX... is also in Seattle and gives me the same bug. We took down the NL seattle server but I think we put it back up, I'll check again now.

edit: Just tried Next Level Gaming Seattle and OldF, same bug. The only seattle servers that I can get to work at the team156 servers.
    I'd like to note another effect of the bugged state: When bugged, you can't immediately reconnect. If you do, the connection process goes so slowly that force quitting the client is the best option (typically I get stuck on "attempting connection"). I usually have to wait a minute in order to reconnect to the same server. I noticed on web admin of our server, I would still be present under the players tab up to a minute after disconnect, due to bug state. If I kicked myself (after I already disconnected) I could immediately reconnect. I also experienced this effect on two others servers where the bugged state can happen (The NCO and NCIX East).
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We have narrowed this down to a problem in some firewall filtering rules on certain server hosts. We are working with the hosts to resolve the issue now.

Thanks for all the information everyone.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We have narrowed this down to a problem in some firewall filtering rules on certain server hosts. We are working with the hosts to resolve the issue now.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

The Geriatric Ward shall live again!
  • SynVisionsSynVisions Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome. Thanks for the quick investigation on this.
    Thanks for all the info and assistance everyone!
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver

Just out of curiosity, can you detail more about the errant filtering that was occuring? And what change might have been the root of it?

• McRiot_OldFMcRiot_OldF Join Date: 2013-02-17 Member: 183130Members
    Looks like the bug has been fixed for the OldF server, played on our server for awhile without issue. binds and chat no longer trigger the bug. Thank you UWE & NFO for your great support! as well as all the players that contributed to finding a solution.

OldF thanks you :)