Comm. Designated Squad Leaders - A Simple Solution

capn_muricacapn_murica Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183495Members
I've been playing NS1 and 2 for years, on and off, and I think that, for the sake of better organization, some kind of squad system would be beneficial. I came into the NS2 beta about 6 months before the proper release, so I think I missed the builds in which some squad systems were apparently tested, so forgive me for my ignorance regarding the details of those systems. I searched around the forum a bit and I found some similar squad feature requests that involve fixed squad affiliation or buffs for designated squad leaders.

I propose a simple feature that shouldn't require any change to balancing in the game; commanders designate squad leaders at will, and squad leaders simply appear as leaders to other players: the effect is simply that players on the ground can clearly see who the commander recognizes to be his/her eyes and ears on the ground, no buffs and no fixed affiliation necessary. One forum member mentioned that fixed affiliations make little sense in a game where respawns are so frequent, and I agree. In NS2, informal squads that form one rush at a time are generally all that can be managed and maintained in a pub game. Simply highlighting squad leaders on the map and on the HUD would give players--especially new players--a greater sense of direction and unity in battle as well as a stronger sense of where "the front" is at the given moment, even when the commander has not given a direct order.

I don't see why the feature shouldn't be applied to both sides, either, being that gameplay is not directly effected; it's just another way to make the overall experience more intuitive.

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Sounds good and simple to me. Like this you don't have to follow the squad leader, nor is there any buff to doing so. It's just like and extension of the Comm's arm. Maybe even don't let the one who's been deemed squad leader know that he has the position, so he just carries on like normal.
  • hitokirihitokiri Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174315Members
    I found this idea awesome. And i suggest just to show on minimap, tchat, and voice that person is a leader. And maybe an update on request like "leader need amo !"

A simply idea/remark on how designate a leader is to add a him in shorcut (exemple CTRL+1) What do you think ?
  • capn_muricacapn_murica Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183495Members
    Maybe even don't let the one who's been deemed squad leader know that he has the position, so he just carries on like normal.

I think it would be important for those in leadership roles to be notified that they are in those positions so that they know to stay in communication with the Comm. as well as with other players, although, presumably, the Comm. would place someone in that position because those conditions are already being met. Either way, I think it would be best for everyone to be made aware. Also, if the leader turns into a dick because of his/her new leadership role, the Comm. can should be able to revoke the title just as easily.
    And i suggest just to show on minimap, tchat, and voice that person is a leader. And maybe an update on request like "leader need amo !"

I think all of those indicators would be great, especially the minimap and big map; it would be great if I could press C and, instead of seeing a sea of friendly soldier arrows, see each front represented by a squad leader's distinctly colored arrow.

The specialized requests for leaders is an interesting idea, as it would place a higher value on the requests of squad leaders over lower-level soldiers. I think a better way to phrase it, if such a request were implemented, would be "squad needs ammo." That way, the game doesn't treat the leader as an MVP; it treats the leader as a representative of the informal squad that has formed around him/her. Come to think of it, this would also add incentive to stick with a squad leader rather than lone wolfing it.
    A simply idea/remark on how designate a leader is to add a him in shorcut (exemple CTRL+1) What do you think ?

Simple is best. A keyboard shortcut and an unobtrusive button that isn't buried more than a level down in the VGUI would be ideal for designating leaders.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this would be a cool idea. My favorite thing about NS2 is how much cooperation actually takes place among soldiers; I've never seen another game pull that off so frequently in pub matches. Hopefully a feature like this gets picked up and enhances that quality.
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    edited March 2013
    there should also be keyboard shortcut added purely for the squad leader issue such requests for faster response times as well as squad orders like cover, move out, attack hostile (that the leader is pointing at). As well as this there should be a way for players to join or leave squads at will so that their mini map and big map will always show where their respective squad leader is and for the squad commands to show in their HUD so in essence you would have the com issue an order to a squad leader then the squad leader would distribute tasks to the squad members in order to complete the commanders orders. For example com issues a command to Alpha Squad leader to secure a room then the leader an then tell his squad members individually (by looking at them the command is at his cursor to select soldier then look to location and issue order) to either cover, attack or build. There should also be a Squad fall back command for needed retreat, if no soldier is selected for an order then the order should be sent to entire squad.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nothing like being declared "Commander's Favorite" for a big morale boost.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    This would be perfect!

Simple and clear. Aliens can have "swarm leaders" to match.
  • hitokirihitokiri Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174315Members
    It's really a good thing, This feature can help people to know what they must do.
    Defends or attack strategic point just in follow the leader and don't spread alone in the all map.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Great idea which would benefit public gaming. Will tweak some egos though.