Gorgeous Changelog - Natural Selection 2

12346»

Comments

• wishfulwishful Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183488Members
    Even if you look at NS2 stats which is not necessarily all servers marines are now winning a lot more then they used to. Personally I mostly play aliens and have clocked around 250 hours into NS2 with about 20 of those in the hive. Although aliens do win I find that
    A) it tend to be on certain maps such as veil which to be honest is still kind of alien biased and aliens still get a lot of wins on it.
    B) because there was a large influx of new and returning players who generally aren't as good those players tend to go to marine first as it is generally considered the side you should start on, this leads occasionally to a laughably bad marine team which the aliens can roll over
    However you hop on and you get one experienced marine with like 200+ hours with skill and a shotty and its practically gg between slower easier to hit skulks and lerks that can be seen easily one or two shotty marines who are good can get like 10 to 20 k/d ratio. So although it might seem pretty similar in stats etc. aliens just straight up got nerfed compared to the marines
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Tick rate still tanks below 10 on servers when the games on for longer than 15 minutes.
  • HendaHenda Join Date: 2004-09-20 Member: 31818Members, Constellation
    I love the update, but unfortunately it is not playable for me right now :( After the update i got 18 fps or less and after evolving to fade every few seconds the game stops completely for 1 or 2 seconds. I already tried deleting the cache.

(win xp sp3, athlon ii x3 3x3.31 ghz, 4gb ram, radeon hd 6700)
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    wishful wrote: »
    Even if you look at NS2 stats which is not necessarily all servers marines are now winning a lot more then they used to. Personally I mostly play aliens and have clocked around 250 hours into NS2 with about 20 of those in the hive. Although aliens do win I find that
    A) it tend to be on certain maps such as veil which to be honest is still kind of alien biased and aliens still get a lot of wins on it.
    B) because there was a large influx of new and returning players who generally aren't as good those players tend to go to marine first as it is generally considered the side you should start on, this leads occasionally to a laughably bad marine team which the aliens can roll over
    However you hop on and you get one experienced marine with like 200+ hours with skill and a shotty and its practically gg between slower easier to hit skulks and lerks that can be seen easily one or two shotty marines who are good can get like 10 to 20 k/d ratio. So although it might seem pretty similar in stats etc. aliens just straight up got nerfed compared to the marines

you can say the same for aliens. a good lerk/fade can get better than a 10 to 20 k/d ratio, as long as you're wary (especially of shotguns).

you don't go "herpderp i'm a fade and there's 3 marines in there so that's 50 pres vs 0 pres, therefore i win!", instead you go "oh 3 marines... where are my teammates... oh... none around.... okay i'll attack another room where there isn't 3 marines".
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    to the skulk movement were absolutely necessary and will force people to play differently. Different is not bad.
    ah yes, because you can make judgments before the data but nobody else can. I'm so glad you have such a balanced level headed view of the situation.

/ssssssssssss

Well actually....I run one of the oldest NS communities on the internet, I've played both competetive and public play and I'm in charge of the whole NS2 Playtesting with over 900 hours played in NS2, and countless thousands in NS1.. So yes, I think I'm qualified.

Funny considering you seem to have missed a specific bug with the topic we're disusssing, skulk movement. It goes to show, 900 hours doesn't make you any more qualified to make unfounded statements. Maybe next time, wait till the data comes in like you told everyone else to.

I'll take my "Better at realizing theres something wrong than obraxis" medal now.

+1
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    to the skulk movement were absolutely necessary and will force people to play differently. Different is not bad.
    ah yes, because you can make judgments before the data but nobody else can. I'm so glad you have such a balanced level headed view of the situation.

/ssssssssssss

Well actually....I run one of the oldest NS communities on the internet, I've played both competetive and public play and I'm in charge of the whole NS2 Playtesting with over 900 hours played in NS2, and countless thousands in NS1.. So yes, I think I'm qualified.

This attitude is exactly why we need a better solution to testing content pre-release. A tiny group of individuals begin to develop an inevitable superiority complex, which is inevitably going to divide the community.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer

/ssssssssssss

This attitude is exactly why we need a better solution to testing content pre-release. A tiny group of individuals begin to develop an inevitable superiority complex, which is inevitably going to divide the community.

Losing speed upon touching the ground was logged as fixed and appears to have popped in at the last minute. We had a few very serious game breaking bugs also pop up in last minute testing and so a few other things managed to slip in under the radar. I'm sorry that we're not Blizzard and UWE can't hire a hundred or so internal testers to work 60-80 hour work weeks. Mistakes sometimes happen. =(
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013

/ssssssssssss

What divide? An inexperienced player can be just as blunt in stating their opinion as anyone else. The only difference is that experienced players have, well, experience to back their statements, and will rightfully point this out when someone questions their competence.

Just be glad there actually are people dedicated enough to spend countless of hours playtesting these builds.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Losing speed upon touching the ground was logged as fixed and appears to have popped in at the last minute. We had a few very serious game breaking bugs also pop up in last minute testing and so a few other things managed to slip in under the radar. I'm sorry that we're not Blizzard and UWE can't hire a hundred or so internal testers to work 60-80 hour work weeks. Mistakes sometimes happen. =(

Of course, there is nothing wrong with missing stuff, it happens. Thats not controversial, playtesters should never be strung up or anything equally silly for missing a bug, ever. But when a playtester comes on the forum and declares that everyone should follow a certian conduct, then excludes himself because of his so called playtester superiority, it needs to be pointed out how ludicrous it is to act that way.
    Narfwak wrote: »

/ssssssssssss

I don't blame bad things slipping through, I don't like it when large sweeping changes get made and it's all a surprise. As you remember I don't blame the PTs, I blame the attitude some have.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    fanatic wrote: »
    Stats from comp games so far show 48% alien wins and 52% marine wins. That's pretty damn good. It was high time for some changes to the skulk to make it more predictable, and it looks like it's a great success so far. It's still perfectly possible to do well as skulk, even against the best marines, you just have to play it a bit differently. Rushing as a pack down a long hallway isn't a good idea anymore, and I think that's a good thing.

There haven't been enough games to say that this will hold, stop stating win rates as facts people.... *facepalm*
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    fanatic wrote: »
    Stats from comp games so far show 48% alien wins and 52% marine wins. That's pretty damn good. It was high time for some changes to the skulk to make it more predictable, and it looks like it's a great success so far. It's still perfectly possible to do well as skulk, even against the best marines, you just have to play it a bit differently. Rushing as a pack down a long hallway isn't a good idea anymore, and I think that's a good thing.

There haven't been enough games to say that this will hold, stop stating win rates as facts people.... *facepalm*

Win rates are facts. He did day "so far" - that's better than the gut feeling most people are arguing on.
  • th3elfth3elf Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183677Members
    Doors are no longer usable.??? Why not?!
    th3elf wrote: »

because they open with proximity, you don't need an extra button press to use the door (open/close it). it led to malfunctioning doors and people getting 'stuck' in them.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    tarquinbb wrote: »

because they open with proximity, you don't need an extra button press to use the door (open/close it). it led to malfunctioning doors and people getting 'stuck' in them.

You could only close, not open, a door for a specific time (about 4-5 seconds), and it had a distinct sound effect. So they were not malfunctioning. It was a viable tactic to trap lifeforms trying to flee through a door. Guess somebody didn't like that.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »

You could only close, not open, a door for a specific time (about 4-5 seconds), and it had a distinct sound effect. So they were not malfunctioning. It was a viable tactic to trap lifeforms trying to flee through a door. Guess somebody didn't like that.

^ THIS!

I miss that feature so hard. It was so fun to fight a fade near a door. I used it to either escape him when low on health or trap him before he can flee. And there was no moment with more tension as running through a door, followed by 3 skulks, turning around and shut it close right before they came in bite range.

I can understand, that they can create problems with pathing for AI units. But PLEEEAAAAASSSEEE bring it back and add one line of code to let AI untis wait for 4 seconds when they stumble upon a closed door. This has to be fixable. I really miss this feature hard. :(

viable, but was that intentional? i'm sure map makers can make 'lifeform trap' areas if they wanted.

besides, some people have said they actually became stuck inside the door - you can't say that was intentional.

i'm sure doors will be changed again down the road, with the possible addition of welding vents/doors... but with the current map geometry the sticking of doors closed is just frustrating.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @tarquinbb

Haven't seen anyone get stuck in a door before, but if that was the case, then obviously it was not intended. But I'm pretty sure that being able to close the doors was intentional. If it was otherwise, why would closing a door have a distinct sound effect (different from the opening sound) and a floating 'E' to promote pressing it?
    @tarquinbb

Haven't seen anyone get stuck in a door before, but if that was the case, then obviously it was not intended. But I'm pretty sure that being able to close the doors was intentional. If it was otherwise, why would closing a door have a distinct sound effect (different from the opening sound) and a floating 'E' to promote pressing it?

i don't know, but at a guess defunct residue left over from an alpha/beta build of the game.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There isn't more to this patch? I hoped for some suprises like ... feign death or that other shift upgrade that was there before release. Or something that makes the maps more dynamic like weldable doors and shafts. Do we have to wait again >3 month to see something "new" (not really new) like that stuff i mentioned?

Descent, decals and gorge-tunnel are very good. Railgun and Babblers are nice gimmicks but rather useless than a usefull addition.
    This patch had been hyped too much for me ... it should be good at least, but after playing it and comparing with my expectations, it's more meh.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was a relic of the times where door welding worked. You needed to close the door first and than used your welder on it. But despite that, it was a fun mechanic that was used above the original intention. And I miss it very much.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    Need another opinion regarding a topic of discussion I'm having with my mate regarding skulk speed:

The NS1 skulk movement speed is slower than the NS2 skulk movement speed.

Ignoring bhopping or any form of acceleration (celerity), just simple skulks running around, carefree, on the floor. Is the NS1 skulk slower or faster than its NS2 cousin?

I'm of the opinion the NS1 skulk was slower but I haven't played NS1 since God knows how long ago.