Gorgeous Changelog - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageGorgeous Changelog - Natural Selection 2

A piece of software as complex as the Gorgeous update is greater than the sum of its parts. But this changelog gives you an idea about what some of those parts are. Some of them have subtle but wide ranging effects: Fixes to the Skulk hitbox and changes to its movement code make them slightly easier targets in certain circumstances. Others are more immediately apparent:

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Ping to get forum thread to show up. Let the debates begin!
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    POKING STICKS AT THE READY!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Hmmm, should I read, or should I play? I'll have to think this one over.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Bile Bombs destroys dropped weapons. Gorgeous indeed.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    How come the official balance mod's changes were left out?

I have to admit I was expecting some more balance changes, none of the changes listed address any of the problems with the current game.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    That is one Hell of a list.
  • normajean457normajean457 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169529Members
    It still hasnt downloaded for me :( im on the east coast NOOOOOOOO I NEED IT!!!!!!!!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    "Doors are no longer usable."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    There there, let it all out. Our days of trolling Onos are over :(
  • KootKoot Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165949Members
    What the hell the door change is unwarranted...
  • mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    Bawwwww. I loved killing atrium RT whenever half the marine team was there.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    By my count:
    7 Alien Buffs
    3 Alien Nerfs
    4 Marine Buffs

• mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    ultranewb wrote: »
    By my count:
    7 Alien Buffs
    3 Alien Nerfs
    4 Marine Buffs

Not all buffs are created equal.

I am currently doing the first run ritual loading a map. I wonder how huge the skulk change will be.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I get a bunch of incorrect network protocols trying to join servers
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    "Doors are no longer usable."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    There there, let it all out. Our days of trolling Onos are over :(

;-; Not to mention trapping fades as they try to blink on a closed door

In any case they also updated explore mode a bit and the icons on the Gorge menu is wiggly now. I love these little changes.
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    Why no more doors?
  • proteinstainproteinstain Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24349Members
    "Bile bomb can now destroy dropped weapons." are you f@#%ing serious ?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    awesome changes. gorge gotta be pretty damn amazing now.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Koot wrote: »
    What the hell the door change is unwarranted...
    It's not what you think it is. We removed the ability to "use" (as in with your use key) the door to close it. This was a useless feature that was held over from when doors were weldable. We removed it because it resulted in bugs with pathing.

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Max wrote: »
    This was a useless feature that was held over from when doors were weldable.

Hey man I am sure you know the joy of seeing an Onos completely stomp and then kill your teammates while trying to get away. Trying to reach that door UNTIL BAM YOU PRESS E AND IT CLOSES AND IT STARTS PANICKING AS THE MARINES BEGIN TEARING IT TO SHREDS. I will never know that feel again.
  • g0ldfingerg0ldfinger Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183463Members
    danm this update didnt go down well on my system... after 5 attempts I finaly connected to a server only to get droped because my game aparently differ from the servers version... :/
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    disable any mods you have running.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Namm wrote: »
    Bile Bombs destroys dropped weapons. Gorgeous indeed.

Very ungoegeous in my opinion
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What does "Reduced phase gate rate from 0.5 to 0.2 seconds" mean? Sounds like PGs phase marines faster (rate of 0.5 to 0.2 seconds), but it says that it "reduced phase gate rate"...
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    A huge changelog and big things added. It looks very cool. But NOT ONE balance change. If balance comes it will be in the form of some of these hitbox changes that keep being made. And it MAY, but I DOUBT, come from new content. Let's see marines got a rail gun, gorges got babbles and tunnels. Nothing for helping marines early game is there??? I am going to wipe my stats clean and play anew. We'll see.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unrelated: NS2 needs more visibility on the front page of Steam. Not sure if that's up to UWE or Valve though.
  • YeahbrahYeahbrah Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183084Members
    What does "Reduced phase gate rate from 0.5 to 0.2 seconds" mean? Sounds like PGs phase marines faster (rate of 0.5 to 0.2 seconds), but it says that it "reduced phase gate rate"...
    Reduced how long it takes to phase hence the phase gate rate has been reduced (Faster to phase now)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    There used to be a 0.5 sec delay between marines entering a PG to prevent them from "piling through"
    With the absence of knockback (due to exploits) and pre 1.0 turrets, something was needed to help contest PGs

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    MrChoke wrote: »
    But NOT ONE balance change. If balance comes it will be in the form of some of these hitbox changes that keep being made. And it MAY, but I DOUBT, come from new content. Let's see marines got a rail gun, gorges got babbles and tunnels. Nothing for helping marines early game is there??? I am going to wipe my stats clean and play anew. We'll see.

I see quite a few in there:
    -Fist-Exos have been buffed. The fist does more damage and has a slightly higher range.
    -Exo speed depends on the weight of their weapons. Not sure if it only distinguishes Railgun vs Minigun or also Dual-Exo vs Fist-Exo.
    -Gorges can deny dropped marine weapons.
    -Marines can now start in Cafeteria/Locker Rooms on Docking and in Smelting on Refinery. That's quite some substantial changes to the balance of those maps. Plus their connections to other rooms have been changed.
    -Gorges can't Clog entrances up faster than marines can destroy them now.
    -Axe range got buffed.
    -Whips are slightly less dangerous against multiple marines.
    -Marines can phase faster to their desired destination across multiple PGs.
    -Cloak changes of some description.
    -Should be harder to ninja-rush Power Nodes now without the comm noticing.