Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    They have ordered a kit to play around with. So, if they have the time and money, they might. No definite answer yet.
  • jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    That would be so cool! I would pay to have the OR work with NS2. Maybe they could go to the community for donations?
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    You need a minimum of 60 fps at 1280×800 in order for a good experience. I wonder the percentage of NS2 players who hit this benchmark.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We gotta wait at least 3 years till this is anywhere near our shelves AND has working games, right?
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    jonvall wrote: »
    That would be so cool! I would pay to have the OR work with NS2. Maybe they could go to the community for donations?
    Yes, same here, i would buy that OR.
    For people who want see the latest prototype

and

I think it would be great for unknown worlds if they create a very optimized Oculus Rift DLC? for like 2,99$ or like you said, just by donations which would be better for everybody.
    I mean they have to spend time to get the game working with Oculus Rift and i would pay if they really optimize the game for the Oculus Rift.
    Notch, the creator of minecraft got one already, maybe Unknown Worlds too.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I know its a cool idea, but it brings back bad memories of the virtual boy for me.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just see a load of people with bad necks :P
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It looks awesome, but I don't think it's something for a fast paced twitch shooter like NS2. It would be great for ArmA III though.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    edited February 2013
    I would rather see a new game from uwe for the rift. Not ns2 because it wouldnt work very well and would look really bad. There are too many stupid effects + the hud and maps it would all look bad in 3d. Plus getting the thing to track movement. All seems like alot of work for something most people wont use. Maybe if they made a new game from the start designed for the rift. Then they could really do something cool. And make some money from it also.
  • jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited February 2013
    You guys are making assumptions on the OR's performance, yet you couldn't possibly know what it can or can not handle!. The dev kits come with Doom3 and that has as much movement and effects as NS2.

Hawken has as much, or probably more, action and explosions as NS2....not to mention the hud for Hawken is more detailed than NS2's, so I think that proves the OR is up to the task for action games.

• ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    My head and neck is going to be in pain. Looking up and down and side to side constantly to shoot that fast skulk is going to be a pain in the a$$. Still, it looks very cool though.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My head and neck is going to be in pain. Looking up and down and side to side constantly to shoot that fast skulk is going to be a pain in the a$$. Still, it looks very cool though.

I guess I always pictured primary shooting and movement to still be handled with WASD and a Mouse. The movement of my head would be more a free floating camera... I guess that might be disorienting, but you could say look around a little bit while you were shooting a hive for example. I am not sure how that would play out IRL though.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    jonvall wrote: »
    Hawken has as much, or probably more, action and explosions as NS2....not to mention the hud for Hawken is more detailed than NS2's, so I think that proves the OR is up to the task for action games.
    Just because Hawken says its going to support the OR doesn't mean it'll actually work out well. Until I see reviews or videos of people playing Hawken with the OR, I'll stick with my critical optimism.
    edited May 2013
    So the guys of UWE already got the Oculus Rift?
    Would be great to see something if so.

Bruce got it :P

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    im sure I saw a post about receiving one.
    Cant remember where though.

Looks like a swell shiny piece of hardware I will probably not get for a long long long time. haha
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a dev kit and the experience is pretty amazing.  The current sdk version is only 720p, so the pixel density isn't that tight when its so close to your eye (consumer version will be 1080p).  I'm not sure how well something like skulk play would translate well to VR gear like this - motion sickness is a very real issue
    Looks like a good way to get RSI in your neck.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Shaker said:
    I have a dev kit and the experience is pretty amazing.  The current sdk version is only 720p, so the pixel density isn't that tight when its so close to your eye (consumer version will be 1080p).  I'm not sure how well something like skulk play would translate well to VR gear like this - motion sickness is a very real issue
    Build/buy a GVS kit to circumvent your bodies balance system. Problem solved.

I'm thinking about building a full 3DoF GVS kit (I'm already bald) for Star Citizen along with using the Oculus Rift. It's hundreds if not thousands of bucks cheaper then building a motion chair. Also the only medical side effects are slight bone growth over the contact spots after 2000+ hours of regular use and maybe slightly reduced sense of balance when not using the kit. The bone growth is permanent but the balance loss will come back in time. I haven't been able to find out exactly how much "slight" is though.

Sounds scary but 2000 hours means you have to play every day for at least 2 hours a day for over two years. Only regular use causes these effects.

The coolest part of GVS is you can use the same API as motion sims. For NS2 though the experience would best be wrought by full upside down cam for skulks. It'd really give you that crawling on the roof feeling.

If anyone else is interested in firing a little bit of electricity into their brains I'd be happy to share what I know.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ScardyBob said:
    Looks like a good way to get RSI in your neck.
    Oh yeah, I'll come back to this when we have proper holodecks :P
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    jonvall said:
    You guys are making assumptions on the OR's performance, yet you couldn't possibly know what it can or can not handle!. The dev kits come with Doom3 and that has as much movement and effects as NS2.

You can't compare Hawken and NS2 straight away:
    Hawken uses the Unreal Engine 3, which has years of development and finetuning to look back at.

- UE3 uses culling checks for performance savings whereas NS2 uses some rasterization system.
    - In UE3 the majority of the world consists of a heightmap Landscape that simplifies it's geometry in the distance and StaticMesh assets. BSP is rarely used nowadays. The engine is optimized to render large amounts of high polygon meshes extremely fast. Each map in NS2 on the other hand consists of unique geometry that is put together in the editor, so everything needs to be kept in memory - not much chance for batch processing, I guess.
    - UE3 uses static raytraced global illumination and lightmaps on every object while NS2 uses full dynamic lighting.
    - UE3 has native C++ code for all the important parts of the engine and hands control over to the script through countless event hooks. UnrealScript can call native code for all the basic functionality in return, which are computed faster. Because of the event based approach, in only about 5% of the CPU time is actual UnrealScript code executed. NS2 has non-event based Lua on top of their C++ engine as bottleneck, I think.
    - UE3 has a different networking approach. There is no extra prediction thread and latency doesn't have any impact on the framerate whatsoever. Instead they use reliable replication which makes it easy to just work off the current variables and notifications about their change in order to locally simulate the behavior of an entity until the next update.
    - In NS2, all traced bullets have a thickness applied to them. I am only used to ZeroExtentTraces for gunshots since they are faster to compute than NonZeroExtentTraces. But here the NonZeros are needed for gameplay reasons.

The engine are vastly different, Spark had other goals in mind. A comparison is not really fair.

A comparison of Doom 3 with NS2 doesn't have much merit. Movement is not a criterium since it has not really any impact on performance unless you need to stream different assets and parts of the level in and out because you are moving extremely fast, but that is more a limitation of player RAM.
    Doom's shaders look rather outdated, it doesn't have any fancy modern effects and the texture resolution seems rather low. The specular shading in particular looks quite odd. Levels in Doom are narrow and cramped, there are not many light sources and also not much stuff happening at the same time - nothing there that could really drag performance down.

Back to Hawken: there's not really any more action happening than in NS2, they just have some more particle and camera effects going on to make things look cool. Don't get tricked by that. It's simply easier to create good effects, shaders, etc in UE3 because they have graphical editors for everything that enhance the workflow a lot. Developing that engine is Epic's primary business model and they have the dominant market position in that regard, so you can't really expect a small indie team with their custom engine to hold up to it right away.

And you get impressed by their HUD? It's nothing NS2 couldn't really pull off either: it's just the model of a mech cockpit attached in front of the camera, only visible to the owning player, that has some scripted textures showing stuff. NS2 has scripted textures in the Exo HUD or as ammo counter on guns too and the Exo has it's own cockpit as well. The rest of the HUD that looks slightly tilted is just Autodesk Scaleform in combination with Adobe Flash going on, which is a state of the art HUD technique that basically every AAA game ships with nowadays. It basically just creates some faces for each element of the Flash movie so they get a 3D look and can be tilted. It could be faked manually, but that takes of course longer and is not as easy to edit as doing it directly in Flash.
  • UnoidUnoid Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72884Members
    CrushaK, If any other game engine out there is most similar to NS2, it's Doom3. Unified Lighting, good for smaller indoor areas, sucks at large outdoor. :P
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Yeah, but Doom 3 is almost a decade old. We consider features standard for games today that nobody even thought of back then. The BFG edition is not really helping that and is actually making some things worse.

I am just saying that "decade old game or new and highly optimized engine may run Oculus Rift, so NS2 should as well" is not really a valid argument for performance estimations.
  • Cetra3Cetra3 Join Date: 2002-12-21 Member: 11319Members
    I have had the dev kit for about a week or two and the first thing I did was actually try and get NS2 working with it.

I've got the orientation tracking working with the Open Source Vireio perception drivers, but I can't seem to manage to load the stereo/warping shader.

There is a discussion on MTBS3D forums for this which I've started, but the developers are just as puzzled as I am:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=17438

One possible workaround is to load vireio for the tracking and load in the shader as a mod.  I'm not exactly sure how I could load in the shader without providing it the correct values from the Oculus SDK though, so this may cause some issues if anyone needs a vastly different IPD or any custom settings.

Unfortunately I haven't had time recently to play around with this but I'm hoping to devote a few weekends to get it sorted.  If anyone wants to assist, I can provide my WIP Vireio project that I have, as I've pulled it from the main git repo and hacked together basic support based on the source game profile.

So to recap:

1.  I'm using Vireio perception drivers

2.  The orientation tracking is working OK

3.  The stereo view/warping shaders are not currently loading correctly.
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Oh God, I really got a good feeling about Oculus Rift. Is it finally time to pop into real 3D? Not just making endless prototypes, but something that *actually* works. I sure hope so. Because I am BORED TO DEATH, LOOKING AT A SQUARE TILE! :P
    edited May 2013
    Everyone who got he oculus rift said its pixelize but is a new dimension, because you get the feel for sizes and not just staring on a monitor.
    Can you imagine watching in an onos face in 3D? :P
    This would push gaming so much forward, to bad the consumer version comes end of 2014.
    But the second Developer Kit will be released and of 2013 if everything works out.

Edit:
    Oh and the display from the oculus rift is actually like the Nexus 7 display, nothing special ^^

• tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Get my dev kit in a couple of weeks! Can't wait...
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Something cockpit based would be amazing.  A space fighter, flightsim, mechwarrior, etc would all work fantastic as your body wouldn't feel as jarred when it sees its sitting in a seat.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2013

Shaker said:
    Something cockpit based would be amazing.  A space fighter, flightsim, mechwarrior, etc would all work fantastic as your body wouldn't feel as jarred when it sees its sitting in a seat.
    Check this out, an Eve Online themed fighter game for Oculus
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhyRkAlK5I