Idea: Dual screen support

irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
What If you could view the map on a separate monitor. Would be a nice feature

Comments

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    My RL friend wants that too.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The list games that support this is rather short....always thought it'd behoove smaller game companies to focus on things like this as "selling points"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_monitors#Games_support

Same with Linux support... just look at the threads on reddit.com/r/linux for each game that comes out
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    edited February 2013
    I just have a second computer logged on to the same server in spectator mode. Works great.

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?
  • ZipstorZipstor Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168229Members
    irEric wrote: »

Would be cool but I'm against it, not everyone has 2 monitors. UWE would be giving a huge advantage to those who have dual monitors vs those who don't.

• CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Zipstor wrote: »

Would be cool but I'm against it, not everyone has 2 monitors. UWE would be giving a huge advantage to those who have dual monitors vs those who don't.

Only allow Commanders to use it. Put names over the player map icons.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Let me introduce to you a thing called balance.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Ciro wrote: »
    Zipstor wrote: »

Only allow Commanders to use it. Put names over the player map icons.

Who doesn't have more then one monitor? I'm running 3, thinking of going to five. A crappy old tn panel can be found at most any thrift store or recycling depot for next to nothing or less. You can certainly get a free CRT if you want one, but does that mean people with a big desk should be picked on for having an advantage? :p I'm not sure turning your head to the left is really any faster then tapping the map button anyway. If anything the only advantage I see it giving is that you can notice things in your periphery.

Also on that note, given that this game supports spanned resolutions. People with multiple monitors already have a FoV advantage anyway. Some people have better computers giving them a frame rate advantage. Where is the line anyway?

I personally like the idea (I'm Frothy's RL friend, please don't hold it against me). I'd even like to see the scoreboard on a third monitor for tracking team res. I think it'd make the com experience a little more fun... Wouldn't it be better for everyone if there were more people who WANTED to com. Too often I find it's more like "okay, I guess I'll do it". There's probably a lot of things that could be done to make being com more fun, but that's not what this thread is about.

Now I'm sure some will disagree, but basically more monitors is cool... Rule of Cool
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    It's something that would work on very, very few configurations. There's a reason almost no games do it.

With the current NS2 performance, the amount of systems that could work with it would be remotely small.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Hitting C is faster than looking at another monitor.