when are weldable vents/ doors going to be re-added to NS?

SeethusSeethus Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72510Members
I've been waiting for this for a while now, was wondering when they will be re-added? in NS1 being able to weld vents added a whole extra level of risk vs reward, getting out at the start of a map to weld things shut.
now Aliens can always get in the vents, and with the Gorgeous update it will just allow them even more avenues for attack.
giving the Marines this ability again will definitely make the game more tactical like NS1 and allow marines to hold several positions at once.

Comments

• SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    i think it is in the code. too lazy to look at. may get trashed later, or maybe it'll be used soon. need more maps with critical weld points.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    nsl_veil desperately needs this feature.
  • HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    I thought the new content patch coming is suppose to introduce some of this in some maps.

Could have sworn I read this somewhere.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still waiting to see an Onos knocking a door down! Weldable vents would be great as well.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    might be a good thing to tip the balance more in the marine's direction
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I used to love welding vents in NS1. I think the NS2 maps have a serious lack of enough vent networks as well.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    Dogbite wrote: »
    I used to love welding vents in NS1. I think the NS2 maps have a serious lack of enough vent networks as well.

yea, weldable vents were nice... can't see why it wouldn't work in ns2
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    Weldable vents seem overpowered in the early game. There's not much risk and is highly rewarding. Id like to see it more as a mid-game tech. Perhaps those special macs in the gorgeous pics could be that mid-game tech that can weld vents and doors.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Would have been nice to see that in the patch as well. After all would blocking specific routes have quite an impact on balance that needs to be considered when balancing other stuff.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    weldable vents should be able to be chewed through (although take a while to do so). that way marines can delay but not completely block alien routes.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    WIP ns2_hera would definately need weldable door.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was one of the key features I really loved about ns. It would add a whole new dimension to the game if thought out well.
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    irEric wrote: »
    Weldable vents seem overpowered in the early game. There's not much risk and is highly rewarding. Id like to see it more as a mid-game tech. Perhaps those special macs in the gorgeous pics could be that mid-game tech that can weld vents and doors.

what special MACs??? I never saw any special MACs... =(
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I refuse to accept any form of door welding without the accompanying voice responses from Killing Floor.

I am welding this doah!
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members

what special MACs??? I never saw any special MACs... =(
    245927-head.jpg
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    irEric wrote: »
    Perhaps those special macs in the gorgeous pics could be that mid-game tech that can weld vents and doors.

You really want AI-units that are as big as an Exo blocking your view / movement and have the function of a welder, you can carry in one hand even nowadays?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those "special macs" are a map prop as far as I see it.

Also i wanna state that this is like the 10th time we created a welding thread. Please end it with a thorough post UWE. :)
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welding doors shut used to work in beta, so the code is in the game.
    But it got removed because in most cases it gave Marines no advantage at all, it mostly ended up being a disadvantage. As it would block Marines from using routes that Kharaa could still use trough vents.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Would have been nice to see that in the patch as well. After all would blocking specific routes have quite an impact on balance that needs to be considered when balancing other stuff.

You really want AI-units that are as big as an Exo blocking your view / movement and have the function of a welder, you can carry in one hand even nowadays?

By "that" I was referring to weldable doors and vents, not the unit.

Welded doors should be able to get weld open again by the use of a welder or by Gorge Spit and Bile. Or bashed open by Exos with a fist or an Onos.

Of course would welding a path shut in the beginning of the map be rather a disadvantage because it blocks you out. But it would be a good defense against for your main bases by the time you have Phase Gates to forward bases so that you no longer need to use that route.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They should tie the vents to the power node system, I think that would work really well.

I.e. When you take a room and build a power node, you can then weld the vents (individually). Also, if power is shot down they open again.

It would work really nicely I think, also that building a power node/RT then having to close off a vent would take a considerable chunk of time from expansion. So the pay off would work well if you were willing to commit to it - in nano on Veil for example - and lock down rooms.

Being able to chew on the actual vent would be bad imo, unless you could shoot through the vent. Otherwise a skulk can chew through it and not be stopped/shot from the room side. Maybe have it alert the commander if a skulk does this?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    @CrushaK: Sorry. I failed with the quote system.

On topic:
    With more vents in every map, welding doors and vents would be a very cool gamplay mechanic. It sure needs to be balanced by the mappers.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    welding is something i realy want to see
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are commanders going to get the option to Lock doors again aswell?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Negatiff.
    Never again.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Look at my ExtraEntitiesMod, i got weldable doors etc.
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    i was just speculating on those special macs. My main point was having weldable vents a mid-game thing
  • demonxdemonx Join Date: 2004-03-18 Member: 27414Members
    Problem with welding doors is that there are no doors in the current maps really worth welding shut...
  • SeethusSeethus Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72510Members
    The most important factor to this is The Gorgeous update is coming up soon, adding to the already superior mobility of aliens.
    We need an "even upperer" in welding, especially of vents. Remember that isn't even a new feature, it was in NS1 after all, which was really well balanced.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I refuse to accept any form of door welding without the accompanying voice responses from Killing Floor.

I am welding this doah!
    I think I'm gonna have to go make a mod that warns you if you are approaching res cap by blasting LOADSAMONEY at you.

More to the point: as previously mentioned there's gonna have to be a lot of work on basically every map to make weldable entities feel like an even remotely consistent feature. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, of course, but it is what it is.