Commanders not reading chat

13»

Comments

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    When I command, I do read text chat, but as Scaredybob said:
    Sometimes it just gets lost in the shuffle.

Medding people is more important than reading text.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I can't always read text chat especially when things get hectic. People must appreciate this. If you want to get something noticed, use a mic.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Commanding in NS is like a 20 APM job. Just about every half competent RTS player ought to be able to easily spare the attention to look at chat when something new pops up.

Sure if you see it the 5s it lasts on the Screen. The problem aren't the APM, it is when the dam Chat apears! If someone writes "1000 Skulks and Fades in DC", when I am dropping Meds, Ammo and Nanos, while scanning the Hive, the Chatwindow may already be gone when the Action is gone. Also if you have the Big -Map open and don't use the smal one below the Chat, you will notice the chat even less.

It is the same thing with the Powernode in Base, sometimes you just do not hear the Sexy voice that says "our Base is under attack".

All this does not apply to the Alienkahm btw.
    briatx wrote: »
    I never learned to read. Kids would always make fun of me in school. Go ahead, pile on. I'm used to it.

Although sometimes when the voice channel is busy I will type some things out when waiting for power or RTs. Usually though it ends up being more like:

<Press Y> Plz drop RT in *chomp* *chomp* *aaaaah*
    <Press Y> 3 skulks in Topo.

Yeah, atleast in 50% I am dead if I use the Chat :-P. And I only us ethe Chat to talk to the other Team.
    thefonz wrote: »
    Funny enough, I've had the opposite experience on occasion. I can call for am RT all day sometimes.... But when I type 'RT ventilation' bam, RT dropped.

Still. Voice trumps typing most of the time.

In this Build there is a bug sometimes, that you are "muted" when using Voice, going in the Options Screen -> Sounds then just Apply and the other hear you again.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    The funny thing is that games like L4D are so dependent on it that everyone uses it. Funny that this is not the same for NS2.

I think an interesting experiment would be to get rid of text chat altogether, and introduce a better ui system for recognising players when they speak.

Crazy I know, but it would force everyone to use comms!

Voice is always better for communication, especially when you are doing things on screen, you are not actively having to check and read and process the information displayed on screen. It is pumped directly into your brain through your ears.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Cause 16 people yelling into crappy mics is certainly so much superior than doing a bit of reading. Its not so hard, I manage it every day. Even IF Im using a mic.
  • Metal ManMetal Man Join Date: 2011-11-13 Member: 132717Members
    Commenters saying "get a mic, problem solved" need to stop being so damn closed-minded. Have you considered there are reasons as to why someone wouldn't use a mic? No money, not wanting to wake roommates, mutism, throat cancer, faulty PC port. Most of these are non-issues but still. Nowhere does it say a mic is required to play this game

This game is played where information is constantly displayed on screen. If a commander can't manage to comprehend any and all text, than they are bad. Or at least would be a comm with room for improvement. So to answer your question, it is the commander's fault and not yours. Type whenever the hell you want. If the game is lost due to your info being ignored, don't feel bad. And if players give you shit (highly doubtful) just ignore them

And these comments are only apply to pub play
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cause 16 people yelling into crappy mics is certainly so much superior than doing a bit of reading. Its not so hard, I manage it every day. Even IF Im using a mic.

This!
    While having a lot of mic users can be fun, due to having interesting conversations, it's usually a disadvantage to my gameplay in the middle of a round.

I hate getting eaten from behind, as i couldn't hear the Skulk approaching due to 2-5 people constantly talking trough voice about the most useless of things.

And i think it's kinda sad that certain bad design choices are supposed to be countered by players being forced to use microphones (Waypoint and request system) instead of adding systems that do not force mic usage on the players to get certain tasks done.

Sometimes less is more, that especially applies to mic usage.
    Or maybe i'm just too oldschool, using sound to locate enemy movement and all that fancy stuff...
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    rebirth wrote: »
    And i think it's kinda sad that certain bad design choices are supposed to be countered by players being forced to use microphones (Waypoint and request system) instead of adding systems that do not force mic usage on the players to get certain tasks done.

Or maybe i'm just too oldschool, using sound to locate enemy movement and all that fancy stuff...

I think it is a design decision in line with what the devs want to accomplish. Part of being a good commander (and I am by no means a good comm) is keeping your team in line. It is about leadership not game mechanics. I have lost a number of games on Tram when a field commander type personality would be going against what the Commander would say, typically the Comm would want to push repair but the guy on the ground would spam voice chat to push Elevator. This is where the commander needs to assert themselves and actually lead. The problem isn't the people having the ability to communicate it is about the commander not helping the team communicate and work effectively. Granted if you have troll spamming voice chat there is not a lot you can do. But so far in this community they are few and far between.

As far as less is more, absolutely, I use my mic but try and keep it short and informational to the team. If there is one marine on the other side of the map building an RT I don't bother calling it out but if there are 3 pushing our base and no one has alerted the team yet I call it out. likewise I try and use Pings when calling for RTs since location should be all the commander needs, then they can tell me to move on or build depending on what they want to accomplish.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    rebirth wrote: »

I think it is a design decision in line with what the devs want to accomplish. Part of being a good commander (and I am by no means a good comm) is keeping your team in line. It is about leadership not game mechanics. I have lost a number of games on Tram when a field commander type personality would be going against what the Commander would say, typically the Comm would want to push repair but the guy on the ground would spam voice chat to push Elevator. This is where the commander needs to assert themselves and actually lead. The problem isn't the people having the ability to communicate it is about the commander not helping the team communicate and work effectively. Granted if you have troll spamming voice chat there is not a lot you can do. But so far in this community they are few and far between.

As far as less is more, absolutely, I use my mic but try and keep it short and informational to the team. If there is one marine on the other side of the map building an RT I don't bother calling it out but if there are 3 pushing our base and no one has alerted the team yet I call it out. likewise I try and use Pings when calling for RTs since location should be all the commander needs, then they can tell me to move on or build depending on what they want to accomplish.

You can have voice commands that do not actually obligate you to do anything, as many other games have a wide selection of them for different situations.

I'd also like to see something better to use while were at it, currently pressing x to say something in between action is impossible.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know how many times I've mentioned something important in chat and everyone ignores it. Then 5 minutes later I hear the same thing over someone's mic after it's too late! Followed soon after by GG.

As for those saying "get a mic" Some of us only have time to play after everyone else in the house is asleep.......

So yeah, READ THE CHAT!
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    You can't make people read the text chat. No one ever goes out of their way to ignore all text but if you can't or won't use a mic then you just have to live with the fact that what you are saying may be missed. Doesn't matter if you think it is fair that is how things work.
    Sops wrote: »
    You can't make people read the text chat. No one ever goes out of their way to ignore all text but if you can't or won't use a mic then you just have to live with the fact that what you are saying may be missed. Doesn't matter if you think it is fair that is how things work.
    True, but still its no excuse.

• CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    For all those that say commanders need to read text chat...I'll counter with...then players need to read text chat as well.

Go play on a server where a comm does not have a microphone. Watch him/her type a lot. Do you actually read each and every single thing? There is no way you can guarantee you do not miss a piece of text, especially when you are engaged in a battle with an alien.

Don't believe me? Go command and simply text chat your orders/field situation, etc., and see how much actually gets read by players. I've done so personally, and I can assure you that texts often get missed by players.

Seems kind of a hypocritical argument. *shrug*
    For all those that say commanders need to read text chat...I'll counter with...then players need to read text chat as well.

Go play on a server where a comm does not have a microphone. Watch him/her type a lot. Do you actually read each and every single thing? There is no way you can guarantee you do not miss a piece of text, especially when you are engaged in a battle with an alien.

Don't believe me? Go command and simply text chat your orders/field situation, etc., and see how much actually gets read by players. I've done so personally, and I can assure you that texts often get missed by players.

Seems kind of a hypocritical argument. *shrug*
    If you are a commander and wont use a mic I will vote eject you, as a commander its a whole different thing as he needs to communicate fast with all the other players, command them
  • SchupacSchupac Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183159Members
    You can't really blame the comm. They have plenty going on - maybe they are good enough to be a good comm + read text, but I know I'm not. This game really needs mics if you want to be a 'key' player.

When I'm playing and I see important text, I read it off for the team and 9 times out of 10 they had no idea the text was there.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Schupac wrote: »
    When I'm playing and I see important text, I read it off for the team

Pretty much solves the comm not reading chat problem.

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    There is no actual solution to this problem that can be achieved by making a thread about this. Why are we bitching about this?
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    If I see someone's text being ignored, I voice it for them. The problem is seeing it to begin with, as I'm often focused on watching the action (as a player, I rarely comm/khamm). Of course, voice doesn't always work either. I couldn't even begin to count how many times I've called something, just to hear someone else call it a few minutes later.
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    On a side note: I also got some womans occasionally in the voice chat. I didn't saw them harassed ever in NS2.
    I know of two women who play, and used voice, and I don't think I've seen them get crap either (and not meaning to pick on you specifically, since several people have said it), but just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Also, most women who are playing NS2 have probably played other games where it is a major issue, and would be mic shy because of those experiences.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

It's not a design decision along the lines of "We want it to be played this way" but rather a design decision along the lines of "it's less effort for us this way" and that's all kind of sad.
    Because NS2 did change nothing at all about the communication dynamics, the very same dynamics that often present a very steep learning curve to new players and have done so since NS1.
    Some people can't or don't want to constantly use voice, giving those players the tools to be just as useful to the team, as somebody with voice, should be important. Telling people to "adapt or die" is not a good way to grow the playerbase.

Instead most people are arguing that the job of a commander is somehow "social herding" and all that required voice usage is something awesome "Communication! Coordination!" (When same could be achieved trough different means, without solely depending on voice usage). While UWE tries to sell one of NS biggest flaws as a feature, but it's still an awful design shortcoming imho.

They market the game for it's "competitive RTS side" trying to rope in RTS players, yet the RTS side of the game is woefully underdeveloped as Commanders spent most of the time convincing their team to do the things they want or simply trying to explain what they want to do, as the game gives Commanders no tools at all besides crappy generic waypoints. That's no RTS gameplay style at all and most people that are into RTS games certainly are not into them because they like arguing and explaining with their units.

I sure hope UWE will overhaul a whole lot of these systems, because as it stands now the lack of these systems also goes contrary to some high level design goals (CoD like levels of ease to play and general lower/more balanced learning curve). It feels like most of these issues haven't even been remotely touched, we haven't even gotten an "Scan request" for Marines yet, something that should be pretty much a no-brainer.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Overcrowding with requests is not that good. A comm is not a machine that had to press space and fulfill a request.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I get what the OP is saying here. However, if it is so frustrating, just speak it instead of typing. If you like typing over speaking, then by all means do it. However, if that medium isn't working; then move to the next.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Wang Tang wrote: »
    Seriously, what is up with that?
    Just lost another game due to a commander not reading the chat messages. This is really frustrating, and often they also won't respond to a map ping.
    Commanders, if you can read this:

READ THE CHAT

I don't care if you use mic or text to tell players around, but for god's sake

READ THE CHAT

/rant

@UWE is there a way to have some kind of highlight for text messages if we write "COMM" or something similiar to chat? That would be really awesome.

I ignore chat messages because I know that:

If someone does not have a mic, they can't communicate effectively, therefore they are probably not a player I want to be near due to lack of information. Or they die because: Poopypants(Rookie): look out theres a dog over therewwwwwwwwsssssssadddddddwsssssss
    Poopypants(Rookie): fuk i died