What happened to the community?

Skyhawk02Skyhawk02 Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178122Members
My friend bought me this game as a christmas present and for about two weeks I racked up 30 hours of playtime(a lot for me). I enjoyed the friendly community and comradery. Even losing repeatedly was fun, people were laughing or jokingly blaming the comm(but in a friendly manner). I was pretty burnt out so I didn't play for a couple months. I played for a few hours today and it seemed totally different. Teams were conceding at the slightest hint of losing, when I pointed out that isn't as fun for the winning team I was called names and insulted. Multiple people were constantly making racist remarks the entire time I was playing. So, uh, What happened to the community?

Comments

• FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    edited February 2013
    Erm, familiarity breeds contempt? It's just what happens, the players that've remained get used to things, no more luster, etc.

It's totally normal. Yes, and it is depressing that no-one can really argue with the "normal" verdict. Anonymous, malicious cowardice is part of the internet.
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    You just had bad luck this time. Find servers that have a lot of regulars. That stuff won't happen as much.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    to be honest this is complete related to which server you play on.
    keep trying new ones.
  • Skyhawk02Skyhawk02 Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178122Members
    That is good to hear, I will try to find a different server, preferably one that lets you force random teams, that makes it a lot more fun I think.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Skyhawk02 wrote: »
    That is good to hear, I will try to find a different server, preferably one that lets you force random teams, that makes it a lot more fun I think.
    I very much agree.

I've noticed that the community attitude on Rookie friendly servers is far nicer overall than that of a non-rookie friendly server. Plus you get the chance to help rookies learn.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just seems to be how games evolve. It's all 'fun and games' in the beginning because people are still learning and no one really knows what to do. Once that's over, the '1337ne355' attitude of some people takes over and they forget to have 'fun'.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Concede was added into the game. People cried for an easier way to LOSE and they got it.
  • poloqpoloq Join Date: 2005-07-28 Member: 56990Members
    Many times I've been on rookie friendly servers and seen "pros" dominate the game and creating an environment of malice and loathing, people start stacking with the good players and whichever team they join, wins. I've never seen this happen on normal servers. Don't know if this can be fixed in any way, but it does poison the community imo.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Calego wrote: »
    I very much agree.

I've noticed that the community attitude on Rookie friendly servers is far nicer overall than that of a non-rookie friendly server. Plus you get the chance to help rookies learn.

yup.. I almost only play on rookie servers.

* stable servers
    * always ppl playing
    * most willing to learn, so me teaching them.. bonus points all round.
    * easier to learn to fade as I still suck since NS1 at fade. \o/
    * nicer crowd
    * ppl who 'think' they know the game, play on nonnewb servers, and obviously have no clue, making newb server matches in general more fun, aslong as you give the new folk some breathing room.

• briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    Concede should be bilateral. Both teams should have to vote yes for the game to end.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You played on the wrong server sir/madam.
  • Skyhawk02Skyhawk02 Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178122Members
    briatx wrote: »
    Concede should be bilateral. Both teams should have to vote yes for the game to end.

I like this idea, if an ending is dragging on than it could be nice for both teams to agree to just end it. But it's annoying when you've got 4 onos charging the enemy base and just before you get there an Aliens Win! appears on the screen, where's the satisfaction in that?

So I take it that there aren't any servers anymore that don't allow conceding?
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The only server that has an 'alternate' concede function (that I know of) is Tactical Gamer. If a team concedes there is a message posted to chat saying that a concede vote has passed, and if it passes the other team has 120 seconds to kill the comm chair/hive to win, or the opponents win. The only negative is that there is no defence to it. The team that conceded can't kill their opponents, so the opponents basically just have to run in and kill the comm chair/hive to win. The opponents can kill players on the conceding team, but not vice versa.

I don't like it personally, but to each his own.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I have to agree with OP. As an admin, I find myself spending a lot more time trying to clean up the language and attitudes than I used to. I think there aren't as many admins on servers as there used to be which has permitted the standards to drop.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    briatx wrote: »

I like this idea, if an ending is dragging on than it could be nice for both teams to agree to just end it. But it's annoying when you've got 4 onos charging the enemy base and just before you get there an Aliens Win! appears on the screen, where's the satisfaction in that?

So I take it that there aren't any servers anymore that don't allow conceding?

The reason concede exists is because before it existed, people would F4 and we all know the problems that caused. You can't force people to play when they are not having fun. For a lot of people being defenceless targets as vanilla marine or skulk whilst fully upgraded enemies repeatedly kill you the moment you step out side you're base is not fun. For others continuing to play a game where the outcome is already known is also pointless and concede gives them a fast track way to move on to a new game.

I think some one was asking in ideas and suggestions a way to disable concede on his server. Pretty silly if you ask me, concede is a player controlled option, if players did not want it, they would not use it.

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Khyron wrote: »
    I have to agree with OP. As an admin, I find myself spending a lot more time trying to clean up the language and attitudes than I used to. I think there aren't as many admins on servers as there used to be which has permitted the standards to drop.

No fun allowed is not admining.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    poloq wrote: »
    Many times I've been on rookie friendly servers and seen "pros" dominate the game and creating an environment of malice and loathing, people start stacking with the good players and whichever team they join, wins. I've never seen this happen on normal servers. Don't know if this can be fixed in any way, but it does poison the community imo.

Why not have a force random vote?
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    It's not that bad on most servers. There are some with a few toxic players. Just leave after the game... or before it ends.

Rookie servers can be nicer, because it's open to less experienced players. Nobody can complain, since it's a place to learn.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    I just got yelled as comm at for not dropping sentries when gorges were bile-bombing bases and onos were knocking on our doorstep, I ended up just saying "Have a nice game", logging out, and leaving. Yes, wtf happened to the community I used to enjoy so much? Why are there now more people screaming over the mic if they don't get their way? Why aren't more people just saying, "gg comm, you tried" and going on to the next game.

I have seen more and more just downright rude people in-game since the game launched, no matter which server I am in. I am glad the reviewers said this game has a good community before now, because frankly, it is going down the toilet. My fear is that NS2 will quickly turn into what NS1 has become, "if you are not l33t, GTFO". I don't have any clue as to how to fix this.
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Welcome to internet gaming. Just look for some people that you like playing with and add them to your friends list. Join their games or ask them to play with you if you are in the mood and you will enjoy your time playing, at least most of the time.
  • sedeksedek Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170750Members
    When you build a team based game in which it's all or nothing with no room for individual achievement, you breed a bitter playerbase. This problem is exacerbated heavily in "competitive" games. NS2 isn't nearly as bad as I've seen in other games, and it probably won't get as bad.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I've been seeing a lot more people shouting racist/sexist/homophobic crap in servers lately. So much so that it makes the League of Legends community look civilized. It's pretty sad.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Cat-Poker wrote: »
    I just got yelled as comm at for not dropping sentries when gorges were bile-bombing bases and onos were knocking on our doorstep, I ended up just saying "Have a nice game", logging out, and leaving. Yes, wtf happened to the community I used to enjoy so much? Why are there now more people screaming over the mic if they don't get their way? Why aren't more people just saying, "gg comm, you tried" and going on to the next game.

I have seen more and more just downright rude people in-game since the game launched, no matter which server I am in. I am glad the reviewers said this game has a good community before now, because frankly, it is going down the toilet. My fear is that NS2 will quickly turn into what NS1 has become, "if you are not l33t, GTFO". I don't have any clue as to how to fix this.

I just ignore people or mute them. I mean I get frustrated but I try to keep that shit off the mic for the most part. More admin tools and admins will help, not necessarily for kicking or banning but to enforce simple things like not being a bigot and squelching people would be nice. I haven't noticed as sharp of a decline as you all describe but a slight one, though I don't play as much currently due to work and school.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    I have to wonder who are the players that remain. Around launch there was 7k players but it went down to 1.5k over time. With Christmas it was 6kish and now it is going down to 1.5k again.

Maybe the remaining players are the experienced ones who play to win as others have suggested. Nothing wrong with that but I wish more of the player base was retained to dilute the community a bit. Though it is inevitable that after people have had their initial fun, winning takes priority. But yea I have seen many toxic player lately and a lot of yelling when they do not get what they want.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    @Skyhawk02

Personally I'm having some pretty awesome games with some pretty cool players lately. But I guess there will always be some rotten apples. Try to find a server you like and stick to it, it's what I do. :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Many of us are advocating the use of mics, I wonder if the apparent increase in abuse over voice is merely a function of those people getting mics (ie they might have been the ones you could ignore more easily because they typed before...)

I've so far seen one racist spouter in about 200 h gameplay, which is not bad compared with most games, although still not acceptable.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Getting mics?
    I'm pretty sure that at least 90% do have the equipment, but decide not to use it.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    Cat-Poker wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that happened to me in the first two days of release. Every community has douchebags, and they usually like to make their presence known.

• ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    edited February 2013
    Alot of it has to do with being anonymous to an extent. Being able to change your name at will and your in-game name being separate to your steam ID is a big part of this.

When I first started playing starcraft you could check a players alias by using a command '/alias name' and it brought up a list of all their usernames. In effect this made people who were regulars/committed to the community either act how they would in RL or just be assholes and not give a shit. I don't know why Blizzard removed this feature, but then added locked down battle.net user ID for SC2 -.-

Being able to check a players alias's would stop alot of the bad mannered players from trolling or just being abusive in general if they knew people had an easy way to find out their proper ID's. This is coming from an AUS NS2 perspective where there are only a few populated servers each night that end up in massive team stacks and trolling/abuse every night. It wouldn't stop everything, because some people don't care how they treat the community at all...but it would be a start.

EDIT: Was going to change the swear words but I think it reads ok.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    it's what you get when you put a FPS matchmaking system for a RTS game...