Remove like/dislike/flag

|strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
edited February 2013 in Web Site Feedback
These like/dislike/flag options add absolutely nothing to the forum, and are creating a nasty side affect of biasing everyone reading a thread.

Currently, someone will make a thread based on a particular opinion, and then they will simply proceed to like or awesome every single post thereafter that agrees with the original premise. They will also proceed to dislike, or even flag every post which does not agree with it. After a while, you will have posts which have 100 dislikes from random and usually angry and aggressive forum goers, and everyone who sees the post after that will automatically assume that its incorrect or stupid due to the dislikes.

An even more worrying side affect is moderators attempting to "moderate by like". Recently I had a moderator issue me a warning purely based on the number of flags I had received in a thread. He didn't even bother to read the posts themselves that were being flagged, and merely assumed that since I was being flagged, he could bypass doing all that work and issue a warning based purely on that. Little did he know that the flags consisted of about 5 people who systematically troll flagged every single post I had made in the thread, regardless of what opinion it expressed. I even had multiple troll and dislike flags on purely inquisitive question posts, which boggles my mind.

Here is my suggestion:
1) Keep likes. Positive reinforcement is fine and dandy, and if a post gets enough likes, chances are it deserves them. Remove awesomes, they serve no purpose past like.
2) Remove dislikes. Negativity has absolutely no place in an open discussion forum. If an opinion expressed by someone else does not agree with your own personal opinion, then you may express your disagreements in a post, or simply accept their opinion and move on. A dislike is basically like saying "no you are wrong, and I don't care to explain why", which as I said, has no place in a forum for discussion.
3) Keep flags, but do not make them visible. First of all, posters should not know who is flagging their posts, it should be anonymous. Secondly, the only person who should be notified as to an abusive or trolling post is a moderator, then the moderator can examine the flagged post and determine the correct course of action.

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2013
    Agree and Disagree can stay, but moderators should NEVER pay attention to them when it comes to administrative action against a person. People are allowed to disagree and you are allowed to say things people disagree with, otherwise there would be little point to discussion. Awesome is fine too, though it should be considered "just for fun".

"Flag" should be hidden, moderator only. It should also REQUIRE a text discription be filled in for why you are flagging that post. Improperly flagging a post can result in administrative action against the flagger.

What Agree and Disagree do is add weight to an opinion without having to add a useless "agree" post. Simply posting that you agree with an idea or opinion or posting a QFT or anything along the reverse with no NEW supporting information only serves to clutter up the forums.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited February 2013
    |strofix|, I disagree with your post, and showed this by pressing the disagree button handly placed for me.

In all seriousness, mods should be reading the posts before removing, and I think most of them do...
    edited February 2013
    dragonmith wrote: »
    |strofix|, I disagree with your post, and showed this by pressing the disagree button handly placed for me.

In all seriousness, mods should be reading the posts before removing, and I think most of them do...

I actually went through his history to find what he was talking about and found this:
    Enough whit the trolling - GISP

I lost a lot of faith in the mods here when I read that comment, especially having been in the thread that generated most of those troll reports that aren't actually even trolling. Sure, that particular post MIGHT have been trolling badly, I don't know, but the comment that was put in its place was disturbing.
  • PodPod Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5745Members
    I really like them. A lot of people on here have terrible, terrible opinions and like to fire them around the place. Some people reply to them, but most of the time they're just ignored because who can be bothered wasting time on someone so wrong? Now it lets people know they have bad ideas.

Also: Lets people know that most of their posts are just trollish.

Should it alert the mods to trolls? Yes. Should it influence the moderators? Of course not, the content should.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    The act of disagreeing with someone, and using an emote type icon to show it, is in itself not a problem. Its the connotations attached to it. People throw them around too easily, sometimes they will chain agree and disagree 10 times in a minute. I think that the system isn't being used to convey the meaning which most people are interpreting from the emotes.

How about something like this. Every forum goer gets 2 likes and 2 dislikes per hour, which they can use as they like. An awesome will use up both likes, and flags are infinite, but only viewable by mods. That way people won't simply click agree on a post that merely agrees with a post they made earlier. They may save up the agree and disagree points for posts which truly stand out in one way or another. This wouldn't stack up over multiple hours though, they would just be refreshed.
    edited February 2013
    I think people just need to change the way they look at agree/disagree. There's nothing wrong with having people disagree with you, in fact if no one does all it really means is you are parroting popular opinion.\

Actually I think there might be a bit of an issue conflating Disagree with Dislike. They are not the same thing at all really.
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I totally agree. I don't like the thought of a forum like this turn into something similar like reddit, where unpopular opinions, though they may be truthful and correct, be smothered by the majority's popular opinion and heckled by the push of a button instead of a constructive counter-argument.

This deserves some discussion.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    sotanaht wrote: »

I actually went through his history to find what he was talking about and found this:
    Enough whit the trolling - 62 Disagree, 1 Spam, 40 Troll reports in a few days, impresive! Stop it, 1 added to warn level. - GISP

I lost a lot of faith in the mods here when I read that comment, especially having been in the thread that generated most of those troll reports that aren't actually even trolling. Sure, that particular post MIGHT have been trolling badly, I don't know, but the comment that was put in its place was disturbing.
    I went trough all his posts before issueing the warning, thoes are just all justified reports from community members.
    Its a slap on the wrist, for not contributing to the discussions, but deliberate trolling to provoke angry replys. And since its not a timeout or a tempban, i think i took the correct actions.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    |strofix| wrote: »
    words

Maybe if half your posts were not flame baiting, trolling, worthless content you would hate it less.

I didn't even read your OP; just your title.
    edited February 2013
    GISP wrote: »
    sotanaht wrote: »

Enough whit the trolling - 62 Disagree, 1 Spam, 40 Troll reports in a few days, impresive! Stop it, 1 added to warn level. - GISP

I went trough all his posts before issueing the warning, thoes are just all justified reports from community members.
    Its a slap on the wrist, for not contributing to the discussions, but deliberate trolling to provoke angry replys. And since its not a timeout or a tempban, i think i took the correct actions.

Post redacted. If you want to discuss the moderation with GISP, do so through PM, not publicly on the forum. - Angelusz

Strofix, I actually agree with you this time, but could you please phrase it in a more tactful manner? It doesn't really do your argument any good to call someone out like that.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    These like/dislike/flag options add absolutely nothing to the forum, and are creating a nasty side affect of biasing everyone reading a thread.

Here is my suggestion:
    1) Keep likes. Positive reinforcement is fine and dandy, and if a post gets enough likes, chances are it deserves them. Remove awesomes, they serve no purpose past like.
    2) Remove dislikes. Negativity has absolutely no place in an open discussion forum. If an opinion expressed by someone else does not agree with your own personal opinion, then you may express your disagreements in a post, or simply accept their opinion and move on. A dislike is basically like saying "no you are wrong, and I don't care to explain why", which as I said, has no place in a forum for discussion.
    3) Keep flags, but do not make them visible. First of all, posters should not know who is flagging their posts, it should be anonymous. Secondly, the only person who should be notified as to an abusive or trolling post is a moderator, then the moderator can examine the flagged post and determine the correct course of action.

Ignoring your current situation.

The agree/disagree/awesome/flag options are convenient. Instead of inflating a threads post count, with "+1" or quoting text, I can click agree. The same goes for disagree and awesome. They will be misused by some, just like players misuse the forum; trolling, spamming, abuse. It will be a burden, for the mods to sort out, however it looks easy to navigate through and is very well designed.

Disagree means disagree. If you want to know why, message them, or request an explanation. A player may disagree with your opinion and agree with another players opinion; so they don't need to post.

Why would you want to hide flags? I'd argue they be used more recklessly if hidden.
    edited February 2013
    Ciro wrote: »

Here is my suggestion:

The agree/disagree/awesome/flag options are convenient. Instead of inflating a threads post count, with "+1" or quoting text, I can click agree. The same goes for disagree and awesome. They will be misused by some, just like players misuse the forum; trolling, spamming, abuse. It will be a burden, for the mods to sort out, however it looks easy to navigate through and is very well designed.

Disagree means disagree. If you want to know why, message them, or request an explanation. A player may disagree with your opinion and agree with another players opinion; so they don't need to post.

Why would you want to hide flags? I'd argue they be used more recklessly if hidden.

How so?

At the moment, users are using them as the opposite of an "awesome", the next level after a dislike. They use it simply to show their extreme disagreement with a post. If they knew that nobody else would see the flag, not even the user being flagged, then most people would have absolutely no reason to do it. Its misuse would return to zero basically.

Or, by all means keep visible flags, but then lets get some proper moderation. If someone flags a post, then a moderator should examine the post. If the moderator deems that the post was flagged correctly, then the post should be edited accordingly, and the poster warned. However, if the moderator finds that the post was flagged without reason, every person who flagged the post should be given an equally stern warning.

Incorrectly flagging a post as abusive or trolling should be as much of an offense as making an abusive or trolling post.

I think this misuse of flagging stems from the moderators inability to enforce rules. What moderators should be doing is ignoring all content, and merely be enforcing the rules. No posting threads in the wrong forum, no abusive language, no baiting, no spamming. That's all they should be addressing.
    Instead what you find is the moderators typically ignore those infractions altogether, and listen only to popular opinion. The only thing the majority of the moderators are currently addressing is unpopular opinions.
  • LiversLivers Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180144Members
    *post stupid and a completely wrong opinion
    *get shocked that people disagree
    *post troll threads
    *get shocked for getting flagged for trolling
    *get moderated
    *shout bias and spam

Dude, just stop posting. Didn't you get the hint already?
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Since I do see value in keeping this thread going, I'm not going to lock the thread. However, I don't want to see any posts regarding individual situations such as the moderation issue above.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members

Here is my suggestion:

How so?

At the moment, users are using them as the opposite of an "awesome", the next level after a dislike. They use it simply to show their extreme disagreement with a post. If they knew that nobody else would see the flag, not even the user being flagged, then most people would have absolutely no reason to do it. Its misuse would return to zero basically.

Or, by all means keep visible flags, but then lets get some proper moderation. If someone flags a post, then a moderator should examine the post. If the moderator deems that the post was flagged correctly, then the post should be edited accordingly, and the poster warned. However, if the moderator finds that the post was flagged without reason, every person who flagged the post should be given an equally stern warning.

Incorrectly flagging a post as abusive or trolling should be as much of an offense as making an abusive or trolling post.

I think this misuse of flagging stems from the moderators inability to enforce rules. What moderators should be doing is ignoring all content, and merely be enforcing the rules. No posting threads in the wrong forum, no abusive language, no baiting, no spamming. That's all they should be addressing.
    Instead what you find is the moderators typically ignore those infractions altogether, and listen only to popular opinion. The only thing the majority of the moderators are currently addressing is unpopular opinions.

If no one else will see the flag (except the mods), no need to worry about accurately marking post. No need to worry about the accused reviewing who's marking them as a troll/abuser/spam and whether the marks are valid.

Going by your reply, your big issues is with something else. Something that should be address in private.
    edited February 2013

Here is my suggestion:

How so?

If no one else will see the flag (except the mods), no need to worry about accurately marking post. No need to worry about the accused reviewing who's marking them as a troll/abuser/spam and whether the marks are valid.

I don't understand.
    If no one else will see the flags other than the only people capable of taking action against people who flag incorrectly, why concern yourself with flagging correctly?
    No need to worry about someone who has absolutely no power finding out who is flagging his posts incorrectly?

I don't follow at all.

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I really don't want to take part on this drama in any other way, but I'd certainly appreciate if you could or had to attach a brief comment to the flag or even link the flag to your own post explaining where you disagree or agree.

Right now it's kind of hard to classify a long post with some good and some bonkers stuff in it. I don't know if it's a possibility, but maybe you could even tag just a paragraph with agree or disagree.

Also, I kind of loathe how people can hide behind the dislike button without having to argue even the slightest. I remember getting some disagree from a post I didn't even know to have any particularly debatable or subjective things in it.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Bacillus wrote: »
    ...Right now it's kind of hard to classify a long post with some good and some bonkers stuff in it. I don't know if it's a possibility, but maybe you could even tag just a paragraph with agree or disagree.

Also, I kind of loathe how people can hide behind the dislike button without having to argue even the slightest. I remember getting some disagree from a post I didn't even know to have any particularly debatable or subjective things in it.

Are they hiding behind the button or, like you suggested, dislike a paragraph of what you said?

Moving on, a post with 5 or so agrees turned blue and while I haven’t seen a post get over 5 "awesomes" yet, I'm assuming this is the same?

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Bacillus wrote: »
    ...Right now it's kind of hard to classify a long post with some good and some bonkers stuff in it. I don't know if it's a possibility, but maybe you could even tag just a paragraph with agree or disagree.

Are they hiding behind the button or, like you suggested, dislike a paragraph of what you said?
    I'm not completely sure what you're trying to point out.

By hiding behind a button I meant about a getting dislike without explanation for a post with 4 sentences and no clarity at all on where it even was particularly subjective. That's kind of begging for a brief explanation at least.

If they disagree with a part, they can easily follow up with a post where they quote that part. That's not the problem. The problem I've got is that people choose not to follow up with anything, a dislike on its own has pretty much zero information unless there's something obvious about the reasoning.

The two points I have are:

1.) There's nothing that forces people to give even the slightest hint of what they disagree. Requiring (or allowing) even a bunch of words of explanation often makes a pretty big difference.

2.) The flags are also very ambiguous for longer posts. You can certainly break the post into multiple quotes on your response, but you're still not able to leave any precise feedback on the original post itself. This makes a mixed post really hard to rate.

Does that clarify anything on what I'm after?
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    edited February 2013
    Be polite. -Talesin
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Flagged for terrorism :)

No, seriously. I can hardly tell the agree smiley apart from the disagree one. Make them more distinct!

Also I think that they serve a good purpose, because they remove those ridiculous content-free post counter whoring "replies" that contain less words than an average signature, just because someone wanted to state his/her agreement/disagreement.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Flagged for terrorism :)

No, seriously. I can hardly tell the agree smiley apart from the disagree one. Make them more distinct!

Also I think that they serve a good purpose, because they remove those ridiculous content-free post counter whoring "replies" that contain less words than an average signature, just because someone wanted to state his/her agreement/disagreement.

Yup, stating your dis/agreement is nicely shown by at the buttom of each post :)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    as much as i disagree with strofix, his opinions and his ideas, you guys are going too far with how you treat him, everyones entitled to an opinion, and gisp, how the heck did you agree with your own post? :O
    edited February 2013
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    and gisp, how the heck did you agree with your own post? :O
    Its a perk from being a Battle Gorge (forum mod)

Well, people are still flagging every second post that they especially disagree with as "troll".

I either feel very sorry for the mods who have to sift through all the false flags, or I am worried that we have lost any method of meaningfully flagging toxic content.
    Well, people are still flagging every second post that they especially disagree with as "troll".

I either feel very sorry for the mods who have to sift through all the false flags, or I am worried that we have lost any method of meaningfully flagging toxic content.
    Well, we did catch your trolling.
    edited February 2013
    GISP wrote: »

Well, we did catch your trolling.

Drop the sarcasm please. - GISP
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Strofix makes a valid point here. The flag as troll button has been and will continue to be abused by a minority. When you've not actually posted anything remotely trolling and someone flags your post, it doesn't exactly give you a nice warm feeling. It's happened twice to me so far, and I really object to this. What I'm trying to do on these forums is be helpful where I can, to learn about the game, and to see if there's any other way I can contribute to the community.

I personally feel that there is a disproportionate negative impact from the actions of a small minority who don't respect the potential value that this system can bring.

Or maybe I'm just too sensitive. Except, in a community, it's important to respect everyone, whether they care less than or more than you about anything. This is why we have, and need, mods!
    Roobubba wrote: »

Strofix makes a valid point here. The flag as troll button has been and will continue to be abused by a minority. When you've not actually posted anything remotely trolling and someone flags your post, it doesn't exactly give you a nice warm feeling. It's happened twice to me so far, and I really object to this. What I'm trying to do on these forums is be helpful where I can, to learn about the game, and to see if there's any other way I can contribute to the community.

I personally feel that there is a disproportionate negative impact from the actions of a small minority who don't respect the potential value that this system can bring.

Or maybe I'm just too sensitive. Except, in a community, it's important to respect everyone, whether they care less than or more than you about anything. This is why we have, and need, mods!
    Dont you worry, the flaging just open a ticket, and if the flags are incorrect we clear em out. (We do check all the posts, and dont mindlessly follow the reports)