Gorgeous speculation

Comments

• WhiteWolf22WhiteWolf22 Join Date: 2009-08-21 Member: 68559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I vote for making them official units: MAC Mk II or something like that, which is a slower, but heavy MAC specifically designed to repair Exos during battles.

Edit: Should be limited to one per Robot factory. :)

Edit #2: Should repair Exos really fast, but have a cooldown on that repair boost / ability.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Hmm the new robotic looking prop looks well done. A bit too well done just to be a prop. I wonder if it is involved in the game play of descent in any way. Like fixing it up and moving it to affect other parts of the map. Who knows. I really like it's design.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I know you're excited, but it's been posted on page 3 already.

Concerning the railgun, wouldn't it make more sense to call it a particle beam? This seems to be the case since there is no explosive projectile being launched.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Karnaj wrote: »

Concerning the railgun, wouldn't it make more sense to call it a particle beam? This seems to be the case since there is no explosive projectile being launched.

Explosive projectiles are not needed for a weapon to be defined as a railgun.

• WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members

lol. Sorry about that! Only read page 1&2

edited February 2013

I beg to differ: http://science.howstuffworks.com/rail-gun.htm

While I appreciate the homage to Quake (although I never played it) and sci-fi, the advent of real railguns will have some newer generations confused. The fact that this weapon disintegrates aliens and can be charged up lends more similarity to particle beam weapons. "Railgun" does have a nice ring to it, though.
  • TinksTinks Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179949Members
    edited February 2013
    My only question is will we be able to weld shut vents and other doors in this update?

I also hope that these new features for Gorge means it'll go back to being mainly a truly support class. Bile bomb is really potent in pubs and has a tendency to dictate a lot of the strategy for aliens now.

I see more cool updates for aliens. Still feels like marines are getting the shaft. Could be wrong I guess with info being withheld, but it's hard to ignore.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2013

While I appreciate the homage to Quake (although I never played it) and sci-fi, the advent of real railguns will have some newer generations confused. The fact that this weapon disintegrates aliens and can be charged up lends more similarity to particle beam weapons. "Railgun" does have a nice ring to it, though.

railgun doesn't need explosive projectiles. You can "charge" a rail gun by the number/size of capacitors used "Capacitors must store electric charge until a sufficiently large current can be accumulated."

The object disintegration has nothing to do with an explosion. An object can disintegrate just from being hit with a projectile (imagine a 50cal bullet impacting an apple).

Lets just leave the rail gun science to that... science.

I really think the tunnels is going to make aliens win even more. They certainly don't need an increase in mobility.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soccerguy, the gorge tunnels aren't alien exclusive. If the aliens are using a tunnel to get from their hive to the front lines, then marines can use it to go from the front lines to the alien hive. It's gonna be a double edged sword for sure.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Is there going to be first person spectating?
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    Yeah, real Railguns will most likely fire solid tungsten projectiles. Their pure kinetic energy (coming from incredible launch velocity) will be enough to pulverize the target. Besides, that much energy will probably also rapidly melt the projectile on impact causing an explosion.

Anyway, the new content looks amazing. I really like the art style of Descent. I'm also looking forward to using the new toys and abilities! Gimme!
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Soccerguy, the gorge tunnels aren't alien exclusive. If the aliens are using a tunnel to get from their hive to the front lines, then marines can use it to go from the front lines to the alien hive. It's gonna be a double edged sword for sure.

But both sides can collapse the tunnel as they desire, I assume. And everything inside the tunnel at that time will be gone. They will probably be more like a huge death trap in many cases. Onos will be damn afraid to go through if the entries are contested.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am looking forward to seeing the patch, I don't actually have ns2 installed any more, but just love following uwe.

I don't want to put a downer on things, but I think Gorge tunnels are going to be a little disappointing if they work like phase gates do currently. UWE really need to introduce a system similar to portal, where you basically walk though one exit and out the other with no delay.

Teleporting into a tunnel on the outer areas of the map is going to be so disjointed, and aliens/marines could just wait on one end and kill anything that comes though.

Anyone played the stargate map in the combat mod? Yeah... annoying.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    A bit to speculative there Runteh, but hey that's why we have this thread :P
    Well that sounds positive Kouji, if marine portals get an upgrade as well to having that sort of behaviour then I will be extremely extremely impressed with what you are all pushing towards.

Good luck with the release chaps. I stopped playing simply because I have a laptop and didn't want to spend the money to upgrade, but I am always here to give support for such an interesting team!
    edited February 2013
    Well I imagine implementing something similar to how the teleporting works in portal is quite hard. Whether or not they are somehow physically simulating the portal between two locations that you just 'walk through' or using two cameras and some way of having a smooth transition between two locations I think sounds like quite a challenge. Being able to fire between the two locations, such as physical objects falling through in portal sounds complex.

But then what do I know!
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    I predict/hope that babblers and tunnels will become the two hives upgrades for gorge and that bile bomb is pushed to third hive. Would make gorge the true support unit for most of the game, and lessen the impact bile bomb has on the game
    The babblers sound really interesting, and a fantastic move from UWE. Forcing commander/player interaction with the attachable babblers. Love it.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited February 2013
    I found a video:
    DISCLAIMER: This was modded in! It's non-official and what is seen may not reflect the final product.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q2CEVEhUKIk
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    I found a video:
    DISCLAIMER: This was modded in! It's non-official and what is seen may not reflect the final product.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q2CEVEhUKIk

Bad! Bad dog! I know its out there but let's not bring it to light even more. I want to save all my awe for the gorgeous update.

• meb2meb2 Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72824Members
    babblers were a really bad idea in 1.04

let's bring those back

uwe logic is terrible
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    meb2 wrote: »

let's bring those back

uwe logic is terrible

"You can have up to nine of the little guys around at a time, and they can either attack players and structures, or you can place them on other aliens as an extra layer of shielding."

Making me sweat here UWE.

railgun doesn't need explosive projectiles. You can "charge" a rail gun by the number/size of capacitors used "Capacitors must store electric charge until a sufficiently large current can be accumulated."

The object disintegration has nothing to do with an explosion. An object can disintegrate just from being hit with a projectile (imagine a 50cal bullet impacting an apple).

Lets just leave the rail gun science to that... science.

I really think the tunnels is going to make aliens win even more. They certainly don't need an increase in mobility.

I see now why you and azurescorch misunderstood my question. Although the screenshot doesn't show much, I meant to say, "This seems to be the case since there is no visible projectile being launched." Of course the projectile doesn't need to be explosive - it likely won't be. My question is whether NS2's railgun will launch a solid projectile or simply depict a particle beam like in Quake. This should result in gibs or the target being reduced to ashes, respectively.

By "charging", I had thoughts of Mega Man (bad example, I know) or any sci-fi flick in the past. When I hear the word "disintegration" in a sci-fi setting, I tend to think of objects being destroyed at a subatomic level.

Back to Gorgeous, I hope we'll finally be able to scale the alien health/energy orbs and move them closer to the center of the screen. The higher the screen resolution, the more frustrating this becomes, especially as a fade.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The railgun trail effect is ingame right now and you can view it via the cinematic entity, I can confirm it is a particle beam and a projectile as the game has both effects there
  • Crumbling EgoCrumbling Ego Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164692Members
    Oh God. I've created a monster.
    Somehow I'm okay with this.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    meb2 wrote: »

let's bring those back

uwe logic is terrible

So is your haiku. :p
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited February 2013
    they are not flying, look closer, one is clearly on the ground the other is attached to a probe thingy for servicing

edit: would be interesting as someone else here said that it could be a decent exclusive unit,

"This means that players will now get a map that features new art assets, and lots of other unique new features they haven't seen before."

could this giant mac, be something for welding giant bay doors? movable buildings so you can build an arc factory in base, then move that arc factory in the front lines to for faster arc transfer?