Shotgun bash / melee

PoweredByBallsPoweredByBalls Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183175Members
The assault rifle does it, why not the shotgun? It only costs 25 res...

Comments

• BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    Well, shotgun is a close-ranged weapon itself. And, let's agree, bash is almost useless.
  • RahmosRahmos Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170738Members
    If you haven't done it, then I would really NOT suggest smashing someone face with a real shotgun. Sure you can use any weapon to smash things in the face but in all practicality it's not really useful. If you ever need to bash with the shotgun then Just swap to the axe and die like a good marine.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I feel like all wepons should have the melee attack. And the damage of that attack should be based on the weapons weight, just like movement speed. I would love to have a melee attack with the GL and shotgun.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Why not a bayonet or something for the shotgun? Like what Mass Effect 3 did.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    BigTracer wrote: »
    Well, shotgun is a close-ranged weapon itself. And, let's agree, bash is almost useless.
    While I agree with this, its more of a question of consistent, standardized weaponry than whether or not it'd be truly useful. You SHOULD be able to perform a (nearly-useless) melee attack with any weapon if you can do it with the rifle... Butt-bashing is sometimes an option if you know the foe's health is very low, and it can be executed on demand unlike the axe which needs to be switched to. It would also mean 25 pres GL-rines are that bit less helpless against an incoming 1-hp skulk.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    On a secondary suggestion, since GLs and flamers are heavier than rifle/shotty, it might make sense to have their secondary attack slightly delayed but also more powerful (say, 30 normal damage?), just because that seems like it'd make sense. It would also raise the skill ceiling for using the melee of these weapons to avoid abuse. Just brainstorming here ;)
  • PoweredByBallsPoweredByBalls Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183175Members
    This is the kind of discussion I like.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I've gotten several butt smash kills. I don't know why the rifle is the only one. All weapons should have it.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im still waiting for the 'kick the alien in the face' animation.

• kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    The GL should definetly have some kind of melee attack. Flamethrower too.

But the Shotgun with its fast reload... it's kind of useless.

On the other hand I don't know why the weapons of the Marines are all so old school. I mean it's the future, right? Why do they still use more or less the same weapons and ammunition that were used in the 20th century?

That said, I'd like to see a 2nd fire mode on the shotgun which shots a single straight-forward (sniping: yes) rubber ball/energy blast/air blast which knocks smaller lifeforms unconcious for X secs and knocks back fades and onos.
    whoppaXXL wrote: »

I think we played the same PC games when we were young. ;)

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This thread has come up a few times. It usually came out that shotguns are short range weapons and that a shotgun butt would be op.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't mind secondary fire causing a quicker followup shot, but with a recoil kick affecting aim, making it only viable for large aliens in close combat

(right click = double shot)
  • Lev SteelLev Steel Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162274Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really miss it as well. Sometimes you could really need it... if it helps then? Prolly not, as always ^^
    But in situations, where you have to reaload first or don't even have ammo... why not? It's not OP anyway, since the knockback was removed.
    Also i'd like to see it on a pistol... okay, maybe a "kick" would be more realistic here :)
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Just remove the rifle bash. Stupid mechanic alltogether
  • Reason85Reason85 Join Date: 2013-04-21 Member: 184928Members
    Id rather be able to unload the buckshot and load in slugs. Or maybe have a small magazine/extra barrel (this would be an upgrade) that had like lets say 2 slugs loaded with maybe 6 holdable that you could fire with right click. They wouldnt be dead on accurate but pretty close. Maybe you would upgrade and have 2 versions of the shotgun, slug or buckshot and the marine would have to buy one or the other so that you dont end up with the lmg/gl attachment situation where its the best of both worlds. Thinking balance wise thats prolly the better of the ideas, unless the first idea limits the amount of buckshot you can hold in the magazine tube to like 4 and 2 slugs. As far as a melee attack how about some kind of brief energy shield to deflect ranged shots for a brief amount of time allowing you to move forward (slower than normal) while being able to not take full damage from ranged attacks. Or on the flip side somehow something akin to a dash so you could close the distance that way, but with some downside like a half second disabling of primary fire after the dash or a reduced damage on the buckshot for 1-2 seconds. I think just making it a melee would be boring and not very useful, cause lets be honest its not useful on the LMG. Now if you give the shotgun a zero damage but stun melee secondary, or a bayonet that does good damage and does bleed dot dmg then im all for that. Or just another random idea how about a tactical flashlight, that you could right click and if they were looking at you they would be blinded for a short time (amount of blindness dependent on the angle of how far off from directly at you they are looking. I think all the marine weapons should have a right click ability, Flame thrower a charged tank emptying napalm bomb type of attack. The pistol could be something real simple like a pistol whip (boring) or changing the ammo type from hollowpoints to armor piercing. The GL would be something like switching up the grenade types, this one i would put several diff types, like incendiary, flashbang, wide radius shrapnel, normal, air burst, cluster bomb (like click once to fire, right click to blow up the nade in air or on the ground sending out smaller nades in all directions), and maybe even something as bad assed as triggered nades with right click exploding them (Tho this would need serious balance cause it would be very good, and would need to blow up if it hit a wall to give it some downside, also maybe high velocity/bounce rounds so you could actually bounce the rounds around corners which now is hard to do unless you are incredibly close up. Now you would pick maybe 3 of these rounds, not all of them, and all of these secondaries would need to be something you have to research at a new building we will call the weapons lab (could be an old building), and also have the normal or the upgraded version buyable by the marine for the current and more expensive prices. Also i think the game needs some form of a lazer (like the rail gun but for the marine). I dunno why but i just think a lazer would be damn cool, call it a particle or plasma beam/wave. Maybe make it heavy so you cant sprint with it or use a jet pack ( tho this might be to much of a downside as people love the jet packs, for obvious reasons ). And for gods sake put a bad ass flame thrower on a exo, no screw fire lets step it up to plasma thrower and make it 75 res. Have the model a bit different, like one plasma thrower but one arm. Also would be a neat thing to have an exo with big ass rocket pods on its shoulders/where its arms come out. Could charge up and fire a barrage or fire them off one by one. Another fun idea would be something like those tank shells that are essentially buckshot on crack. The ones that shoot something like 1000 tungsten balls the size of ball bearings. Basically 1 or 2 automatic shotguns with wide spreads so they would be bad at distance but deadly up close, you would need a new alien who specializes in ranged combat even more than the lerk does now. I guess sorta like the Fades of ns 1, some form of a organic, for lack of a better word rocket launcher that does splash damage as poison that does even more damage to armor than flesh). Obviously you would need lots of not only good/deadly stuff for aliens (new life form wouldnt hurt) but also something thats fun. I think thats one thing the aliens lack, fun toys. Something real cool would be some form of psychic type of unit that can rip things apart like in that Anime Akira. When he kills those cops outside his hospital room, thats the kind of psychic stuff im talking about. Also could be a cool support unit, buffs and debuffs, well i wont go on but im sure you could think of a million ideas that are much better than mine. Love the game, want to see it grow more, guys are awesome devs and the community is the best.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Reason85 wrote: »
    >wall of text<
    Jeez Reason85, no one who values their sanity is going to read a wall of text like that! Please use some proper punctuation, paragraphs and spacing :D
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I'd like to bump this thread!
    It feels very inconsistent not being able to bash with the shotgun while you can with the rifle. Somehow I dont have this feeling with the other weapons..Maybe because they are too big and don't realy have the nice stock and butt the rifle and shottie have.
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I'd prefer it if rightclick lowered the weapon and did a quick two swipes with the axe then raised the weapon again.

The marine holds the weapon in his right hand, he can use his left hand to reach to his right hip grab and swing the axe, unfolding it in the momentum, hitting whatever's in front in a right to left motion, then return with another swing in a left to right motion and holding it still causing the axe to fold up on itself and return it to his waist. Once again raising the weapon with his right hand and moving his left hand from his waist on the axe to back up supporting the weapon.

Or you know, keep axing as long as you hold down right click. I'd really prefer a quick-axe than a rifebutt.

Edit: Oh yeah, it'd also be really handy when you have a welder and you want to axe a harvester. Instead of dropping your welder, axing, then picking the welder back up if some random guy hasn't stolen it yet - the ability to quick-axe with rightclick would be really handy and encourage quicker, less cumbersome gameplay.

Edit2: There'd still be animation waiting time to lower the weapon and pull out the axe, so it wouldn't be overpowered in a close-enounter with a skulk. I'm not saying instant melee, just a slightly quicker and easier method than swapping out your weapon completely.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    What an over-complicated notion. Just try it yourself - reach for an axe with LEFT hand and swing it. You will see that the force of the blow will be pitiful. Even better, try to cut wood with left hand, you will see how awkward it feels.

Much more natural would be weapons having bayonets, or some sci-fi nanite sprinkled equivalent, and you would just attack with the weapon you are ALREADY holding as with a spear. After all, real military history converged to the very same solution, until automatic weapons with large magazines made bayonets more or less irrelevant. Nevertheless it's still the best, most handy and natural way to provide a rifleman with melee capability. Bayonet combines superior reach, strength (you are using both hands plus the momentum from the charge) and deadly piercing action that is more efficient than cuts.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    whoppaXXL wrote: »

m2G6V6k.png

• jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kamamura wrote: »
    What an over-complicated notion. Just try it yourself - reach for an axe with LEFT hand and swing it. You will see that the force of the blow will be pitiful. Even better, try to cut wood with left hand, you will see how awkward it feels.
    Sigh... Do you see the marine holding a fire-axe? No. What he has is basically a switch blade. Slicing is not the same as chopping or stabbing. Slicing will go very smoothly through flesh with enough force (elongated handle on the axe) and a sharp enough blade. [/quote]

• clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

I really would like shotgun bash! I think it deserves it more then the rifle since the shotgun allready is a close range weapon.
    And it will be almost useless but that's good. It can just be the litle back up that can save your life since it faster then switching to axe.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    jostol wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Sigh... Do you see the marine holding a fire-axe? No. What he has is basically a switch blade. Slicing is not the same as chopping or stabbing. Slicing will go very smoothly through flesh with enough force (elongated handle on the axe) and a sharp enough blade.
    [/quote]

I see you have done little chopping in your life my friend, so I encourage you to try. Get a hold of a sizable piece of pork or mutton, and try to chop it with a cleaver, or stab through it with a knife. You will find out that it is the very opposite of "smooth", bar the lucky moment you cleave along the fibres of the tissue. That's why you need a solid grip, good stance and use all the force you have - a flimsy left-handed trick won't do it.

And that's just plain old terrestrial animal meat, we are not even talking about feral xenomorphs whose armored skin can withstand the impact of bullets.
  • Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    I dont see why a bash is only available for the rifle either. However, keep in mind that a skulk should have the upper hand at close range. Right now it takes one shot to kill a skulk with a shotty and the same skulks have to bite you 4 times while you hop around his screen not letting him get his bites in. Adding more melee advantages to a marine will further frustrate the skulks and make them even more useless in combat.

I personally think the developers need to start from the beginning and balance upward. right now the skulk is way too underpowered while the rest of the alien lifeforms and alien strategy in general seems to be op. Yet most of the game I used to like playing as the skulk but now it's just so worthless in combat even in packs so you are forced to quickly evolve to higher life forms even if they arent as fun to play as.