My thoughts about ENSL gathers as an average pub player

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
I've wanted to play in a gather for quite some time, but there was none when I had the time, but today (just now) I finally got the chance. I did not expect to play against THAT highly skilled players. As a marine I probably got 3 kills in one round (all skulks), but man, it was impossible to kill any fades - to be honest, I couldn't even find the fade dancing around me!
So it was not hard to decide that competetive games are absolutely not for me, I rather stay in pubs where I count as average or a little better than average, but in gathers I'm just a target.
As a skulk it was pretty much impossible for me to get kills, so I ended up with just 2 kills (one as skulk, one as fade).

Also pistol scripts look awesome.

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The only way to get better is to play against better players.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pistol scripts/macros are banned in ENSL.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    keep playing. you'll get better. not everyone that plays gathers is comp-level.
  • CycloneCyclone Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183099Members
    What is a gather, and how does one get into one??
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Wish I could play in one.

Maybe as a 500 ping gorge.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Pistol scripts/macros are banned in ENSL.
    should probably enforce that for the aus league then

• FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    You know its physically possible to empty a pistol clip with a decent mouse (no script/macro) just as fast as a script/macro?

Most good players can, and if you can't you just need practice at it.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Gathers usually attract far better players than your average pub monster, but this is certainly not always the case, and certainly not all of the players are god-like. I've been on a lot of gathers where people were playing NS2 for the first time, and in NS2 you can still be extremely useful even if you won't be able to 1on1 other players. And like someone else already stated, gathers are by far the best way to hone your skill and get to know how competitive games with teamwork function (apart from forming your own team and actually playing in the leagues).

I hope you didn't get too scared of the skill-level in ENSL gathers, since it's not always the case, and you'll find that in no time you'll probably be on the same level as the majority of the people there if you keep on taking part. Sure, you'll find your odd Tane or Fana there every now and then, but it should be a privilege to play alongside or against them, and a chance to learn, especially when the setting provides you with a team capable of beating them.

As an alternative to ENSL gathers, I'd like to make a small effort to advertise the IRC channel for international NS2 gathers:

#ns2.gather @ quakenet

We'd love to see more people on this channel, since it's a great and easy way for people to play gathers. You can just idle on the channel, check it every now and then, and add yourself to the pool if you feel like kicking ass in a 6vs6 NS2. The channel is by no means a replacement for ENSL gathers, and the most sensible thing to do would be to add yourself in both the channel gather and ENSL gather and see which one fires up first.

We've got some immensely good experience on the IRC gathers in the Finnish community, with 129 gathers played in 3-4 months (that's more than one per day on average!), and 10 gathers on a single day has happened multiple times so far. So if you're a Finn, please join the IRC channel #ns2gatheri @ quakenet (note the 'i' in the end and no dot in the middle), if not, then join #ns2.gather for the greater good.

Come on people, show us Finns that we're not the only ones who want to play some mind-blowing NS2 competitive action!
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Flipper wrote: »
    You know its physically possible to empty a pistol clip with a decent mouse (no script/macro) just as fast as a script/macro?
    Sure it is

• nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    Volcano wrote: »
    Sure it is

multiple binds for attacking allows it. thats what i do.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Shino wrote: »
    It's edak~

That's an example of a speed that can't be realistically obtained reliably. I direct your attention to the fact that his whole hand, save his index finger, leaves the mouse when doing that.

Good luck aiming at something like that.

It is possible to fire two bullets with the absolutely minimum delay between each shot. However, you can typically tell manual execution from a scripted one by the consistency.

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited February 2013
    Shino wrote: »
    It's edak~

It's fairly easy to do that, but you can't aim for sh*t when you do that. That video isn't proof of being able to fire as fast as a pistol script AND being able to aim well at the same time.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Aiming would only slow that down slightly, still fast enough for people to call it scripting.

the more you know *star*
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013
    why derail?
    there are obvious users of pistol macros in E(N)SL, obviously you can fire that quickly but it still poses a massive advantage when you don't have to exert pressure constantly and have to re-aim after each shot as opposed to tracking and holding down a button, etc etc

I'm glad you decided to play in a pickup game, but I'm disappointed you didn't decide to stick with it! the skill variation in pickups is quite massive, if you keep queuing for it regularly you definitely will find a group of players you recognize who are around your skill level, and you can just queue with them and learn together which makes the process a lot more fun. I urge you to give it another few shots, they're just for fun anyway so no one should really get too worked up over playing with someone new, and it really is the only way you will improve. frankly we need more people like you who are willing to dive in and play !
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All this whinging will be fixed permanently once the firing rate on the pistol is capped, and maybe allow continuous fire by holding the mouse down.
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    Aiming would only slow that down slightly, still fast enough for people to call it scripting.

the more you know *star*

He only has 1 finger on the mouse and that's firing the weapon at no point could he move the mouse let alone track and keep the firing speed.

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Lol @ everyone saying that it is possible to shoot the pistol as fast as the script can. OK, you can click it that fast, now try clicking that fast and trying to aim at a moving target e.g. dancing skulk.

Also this thread is not about pistol scripts, but ENSL gathers...
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Play combat, that is a good practice ;)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    Play combat, that is a good practice ;)

Combat might be good reflex practice, but if you want to get better in 6vs6 matches, you'll just have to play a lot more 6vs6 matches. Positioning and coordination is as important as aim, and you can't learn that in custom mapped 20-player combat servers. :)
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited February 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »
    Wish I could play in one.

Maybe as a 500 ping gorge.

After some of your posts concerning competitive players, your "skill" and how overrated/bad they are, I'd love for you to be able to play gathers.

Not necessarily because it'd be entertaining to spend a couple rounds stomping your teeth in, but because your presence would cause gathers to be constantly full as people lined up to do so.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

Consistently with maintained accuracy on moving targets? It isn't.
    The delay you can set between shots via any scripting tool is minuscule.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    That is true Neoken. But if he says he cant track down skulks and fades, combat would be a good first step.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Would anyone care to write a very simple 'this is how you join up' help page for these? I'd love to play in gathers as I'm fed up of the relatively hit-and-miss nature of pubs and want to challenge myself. I'm under no illusions, I will suck horribly against much better players but it's the only way to get better, and that's what I want!!
    I signed up at ENSL and installed teamspeak (not mumble? :( Boo!), but it wasn't clear where in the massive teamspeak tree of rooms I should be, and I couldn't really make any sense of the gather pages. Are they all historical or something?

Yeah, I'm a nub, but I may not be the only one out there!

Any help gratefully received.

edit PS: I was worried about being picked as a captain and not having a clue what to do.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Oh, and I asked this in response to another thread about the IRC channel posted above (@Therius) - what IRC client are people using these days? I've not used IRC for about 15 years so I'm well out of touch.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    mIRC with nbs-script is a pretty good start. Seems nnscript doesn't work for the later version of mIRC, but nbs-script has basically everything nnscript does.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    you can always ask me when im on ts for questions regarding ensl :)
    or just pm me ...
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Oh, and I asked this in response to another thread about the IRC channel posted above (@Therius) - what IRC client are people using these days? I've not used IRC for about 15 years so I'm well out of touch.

mIRC is what I use, but if you don't feel like idling on the channels all the time, you can just use webIRC in your browser (webchat.quakenet.org/) and join in whenever you feel like playing gathers.

Downloading a client software and idling is the best alternative, however, since can quickly check if other people are trying to start a gather.

All the rules for the gathers themselves are found on the channel, but it boils down to this: get Mumble, join your team's channel, join the server and play.

Thanks gents, I might just do that tonight if I get a chance to game! (I only have 3 gaming nights a week :( )