[239] Spore Missing

ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
I've had this happen 3 times so far. I'll go lerk and once the research is finished, spore is missing. This remains until another upgrade is available (3rd hive), or if I die and have to re-lerk.

If I had to guess on the timing, spore was either started before I evolved, or research was started while I was evolving. If no-one else is griping, I'd hazard to guess the latter was the case.

Comments

• FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I encountered this too. It's not specific to the lerk either. What seems to be happening is second tier abilities aren't accessible, even when researched until you evolve a second upgrade for your current lifeform. Not sure if bug or feature. Either way it's very irritating.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    I'm guessing the "fix" for the double-upgrades exploit broke this.

I'd call this a game breaker, since a Fade or a Lerk that already has 2 upgrades can't use spore/blink until either they die or a third upgrade is available.
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    I experienced this too. Was gorge and couldn't bile bomb while the upgrade was available to other gorges.

My guess is that I couldn't use it because I evolved into gorge and picked the shift and crag abilities right away. they were a bit faded out the whole time I was the bile unable gorge. As soon as I evolved my shade ability too, I could finally bile bomb.

pretty annoying bug!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    this happened to others with umbra, quite weird, i haven't experienced it myself but i've heard about such bugs.
    Also, we can get blink as fades without the research again. and this time it doesn't instance for only commander eggs.
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I experienced the "missing" spore upgrade last night as well.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    edited February 2013
    For testing, I had both Cara and Cel available but I only took one upgrade when evolving to lerk. When spore was researched later, it worked as expected.

For test 2, I evolved Cara first, then Cel later. When spore was researched later, it worked as expected. [EDIT: Tried this again and spore failed, so this is not correct.]

It seems occurs when you select 2 upgrades and evolve at the same time. Once an ability is researched (like spore), it will not function for the current life.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I have had this same bug, no spore allthough it was researched.

And a couple of other bugs too, all evolution related.
    Like having Celerity (2nd hive is up), but my evolution-menu shows no shift hive > so I can't evolve celerity.
    I can't remember the others, because it was very confusing in the heat of battle.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yikes!
    Thanks guys.
    Any further reproduction steps would be greatly appreciated!
    Attempting to reproduce this now.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
  • dignomedignome Join Date: 2003-08-04 Member: 18853Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    One also used to be able to keep their previous upgrades when evolving. That is useful in case you want to for example have your egg camo'd in enemy territory. Can't do this any more.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Easy to reproduce, if you have a lifeform, and a second hive upgrade becomes available, you won't have access to it until you regestate (in anyway). That's all there is to it.
    TIP FOR FADES: Don't upgrade your adrenalin until blink is up IF it's available, problem solved.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Same happened to me with bile.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Easy to reproduce, if you have a lifeform, and a second hive upgrade becomes available, you won't have access to it until you re-gestate (in anyway). That's all there is to it.
    TIP FOR FADES: Don't upgrade your adrenalin until blink is up IF it's available, problem solved.
    Had this happen to me as cara/adren gorge (serves me right for going gorge before bile was up I guess...).

I was thinking this would be reset by gestating (but we only had 2 upgrades) though could not test it.
    Sounds like its pretty common as heard other mutter about not being able to get upgrades that where researched.

As dignome pointed out it also seems that upgrades are reset as you start gestating not at the end (which means you cant camo your egg)....making the upgrades reset at the end of gestation makes more sense.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    So we're gonna be seeing 240 tomorrow right @ironhorse?
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    Just wanted to say: was able to use blink before it was available for several times now... I don't know how though.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Argh! Its reported now, that much i can tell you.
    Thanks everyone

• casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    No, didn't you read the notes? Blink is learned by default now! Nothing's wrong B-)
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    yays, found the topic again.

I mailed you a howto, ironhorse. Its about the getting blink free, rather then not getting it at all. But still.
    Yea this will be fixed for next patch. Was the one big one that slipped through from that hot fix.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    damn.. So no more free blink? I mean uuuhm.. well done then. ^^