Gorge the Gardener

2»

Comments

• VexillVexill Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183083Members
    edited February 2013
    Little update, while the gorge is holding the structure its armor would be a little bit weaker and a marine will be able to kill it and slow things down. So it will be like TF2, an engineer needs to be wary of when to pick up his buildings and re-locate them. If he picks them up on a bad time, he is most likely to get killed along with the building. If he picks them up guarded, then he will be alright. And with the other things on where it cannot attack or belly slide. So gorge's don't go around picking up structures without fear of that one random marine with a jet-packing shotgun. Also, when he puts them down, they will go through the build process again. But, also like TF2, they build twice as fast, and quicker if the gorge is breathing on it.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Finally not a bad idea.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    Perhaps a e=hold to drag structure, so they wouldn't have to implement a dissolved structures menu
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited February 2013
    +1

Perhaps a e=hold to drag structure, so they wouldn't have to implement a dissolved structures menu

Yea, simply require the player to hold down 'e' throughout the process.

So it would go something like this.....The commander presses a button called "relocate" or something similar that most aliens structures have (minus hive, harvester), and it toggles the ability for gorges to relocate the structure.. This pops up a 'relocate icon' on the building that can be seen by all nearby gorges (similar to repair icon for marine welders). A gorge player then stands close next to it and press+holds 'e'. The structure shrinks down in size (reverse build animation) and then the gorge swallows it (with gorge animation and sound to go with it). All the while the player is still holding down 'e'. Once swallowed, the player can move around and sees the transparent image of the structure (like when placing hydras). As soon as the player releases 'e' the structure is placed wherever the image was (or closest eligible location). If the gorge player releases 'e' over non-infestation, the gorge will still keep the structure, but the structure will automatically place itself as soon as the gorge is near enough to infestation (the gorge player can cancel the automatic placement if the player holds down on 'e' again ).

Ehh...I probably got too much into the details of this idea, but its a good one. UWE consider it
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    this is a very good idea change the gorge belly glow to a duller/less bright and make it brighter and make it shine(?)
    so that the gorge with a brightly glowing belly is more of a priority target also make them a little faster while belly sliding and their walking speed slower because the gorge has a full belly...i like the idea that the alien comm can "unlock" structures so gorges can move them by his/her consent to prevent trolls, also another idea have the alien comm recycle structures like the marine comm can do instead of aliens always losing their buildings with T-Res loss its to balance out marines recycleing all their things when they lose a base
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ITT: People trying to make NS2 into NS1.

You've already heard them say the Alien Commander is the gardener, not the Gorge.

You ask for this, then they'll just have to oblige to more commander-to-gorge abilities and completely negate the commander role.

• littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i like the idea but there needs to be a limit other wise it will be abused. like u can hold 1 shade/1 shift/ 1 crag. or 3 of one kind. in my normal exeriance in the game there is normal a gorge a higher lifeform with it and a healing station having a shift and 3 crags[shade if u have it]. at least if things get hairy u can save most of it. be able to move 3-4 things would make the gorge even more use full but say the gorge dies. what happens to the stuff? i think one of the 3-4 items have a chancethat it could could drop or nothing at all. thus making protect the gorge at all cost more important :D
    edited February 2013
    Zomb3h wrote: »

You've already heard them say the Alien Commander is the gardener, not the Gorge.

You ask for this, then they'll just have to oblige to more commander-to-gorge abilities and completely negate the commander role.

Not really, as long as the commander is the one that enables structures to be relocated by players. That way it takes away NOTHING from the alien commander, and in fact it gives the alien commander more options and flexibility....plus giving the gorge player more to do. Its a win/win...except maybe for marines...
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    OutlawDr wrote: »
    Zomb3h wrote: »

Not really, as long as the commander is the one that enables structures to be relocated by players. That way it takes away NOTHING from the alien commander, and in fact it gives the alien commander more options and flexibility....plus giving the gorge player more to do. Its a win/win...except maybe for marines...

exactly, nothing in this thread suggests taking anything away from the comm. But rather strengthening the connection between commander and gorge. and creating a better connection between comma and player is always welcome.
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Great idea. Way better than replacing upgrades for example from a base that is getting sieged to a more secure base, plus it makes it harder for marines to kill those upgrades, otherwise they always know where the upgrades are and kill them off in no time.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I like this idea.. a lot.. with a few ground rules.

* no rest cost.
    * one structure per gorge, untill it is done moving / vomitting it out.
    * only certain structures (or not certain ones)
    - So no RTs, no hives, no whips. no cysts.
    - I actually would suggest the AoE chambers only, like shift, shade and crag.

But all in all this sounds great. Can link it to a toggle in the kham interface if people expect abuse.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    As a commander I do NOT want some Gorge to steal my structures and move them god knows where. I placed them there for a reason. I am the Commander. I do see the entire map, the Gorge does not. I may have a plan, the Gorge may have a different plan, but I am still the Commander. Gorges are supposed to be healing players and biling bases, not additional Mini-Commanders. And if a structure is placed badly, them it's my fault.

Given that the next update will introduce more toys for the Gorge to play with, there is no point in interfering with the Commander.
    no whips
    Why not whips? It would make them certainly more useful. Gorges have free range to move them and plant them down where someone uses a GL and give the commander free range to take care of other things.
    edited February 2013
    hozz wrote: »
    As a commander I do NOT want some Gorge to steal my structures and move them god knows where. I placed them there for a reason. I am the Commander. I do see the entire map, the Gorge does not. I may have a plan, the Gorge may have a different plan, but I am still the Commander. Gorges are supposed to be healing players and biling bases, not additional Mini-Commanders. And if a structure is placed badly, them it's my fault.

Given that the next update will introduce more toys for the Gorge to play with, there is no point in interfering with the Commander.
    OutlawDr wrote: »

edited February 2013
    no whips
    Why not whips? It would make them certainly more useful. Gorges have free range to move them and plant them down where someone uses a GL and give the commander free range to take care of other things.

Yeah I don't see a problem with whips or upgrade structures. No hives and harvesters I can understand.

My only concern is that the commander still has to interact with these structures, so I'm not too sure about allowing wall placement. There is potential for crazy wall locations for these structures that doesn't allow the commander to interact with them or obscures too much of their view of the map.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    main reason for excluding whips would be because the kham can move them on his/her own.
    and restricting the sort of chambers to move, would enable toggles for them all, except a global one. leaving control in the hands of khams who do not want to share it.
    Maybe you can build in an option where you have whips that are movable by gorges and the default setting of only commander control.
    the reason i'd like whips to still be movable by gorge (if commander allows it) is so that the gorge can put them on a ceiling or a wall, and it will still let aliens through the hallway easily. Plus nobody expects to be whipped from a ceiling :)
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    I like it! It promotes Gorge-Khamm teamwork and gives Gorges something else to do other than hold M2 at anything with slime on it :)

Instead of locking a Gorge, how about changing the Uproot/Root toggle and add it to Kharaa static defenses (Crag/Shade/Shift/Whip)? That can serve as the lock mechanism instead of picking on players, which is more of a Marine Commander thing.

Alternatively, if it's deem too griefable, I can settle for E on Crag/Shade/Shift to pay PRes for Heal Wave/Ink Cloud/Hatch (let Gorge place the Egg).

As an alien commander this is not needed if you have a shift that is upgraded for echo as you can move that shift to any point with infestation as well as moving any structure (besides harvesters and hives) within its radius 1 building at a time to any other point with infestation. the big failing of most alien commanders is not using all the tools at their disposal in co-ordination with their team.
    MaLuS wrote: »
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    I like it! It promotes Gorge-Khamm teamwork and gives Gorges something else to do other than hold M2 at anything with slime on it :)

Instead of locking a Gorge, how about changing the Uproot/Root toggle and add it to Kharaa static defenses (Crag/Shade/Shift/Whip)? That can serve as the lock mechanism instead of picking on players, which is more of a Marine Commander thing.

Alternatively, if it's deem too griefable, I can settle for E on Crag/Shade/Shift to pay PRes for Heal Wave/Ink Cloud/Hatch (let Gorge place the Egg).

As an alien commander this is not needed if you have a shift that is upgraded for echo as you can move that shift to any point with infestation as well as moving any structure (besides harvesters and hives) within its radius 1 building at a time to any other point with infestation. the big failing of most alien commanders is not using all the tools at their disposal in co-ordination with their team.

The big difference is that gorge with his First Person view is able to relocate the structures to any wall or ceiling with much better accuracy to provide the little gorge fort with a better tactical advantage.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    B-But.. what if the Gorge c-could attach the structure to his back? Imagine a cavalry of battle gorges entering the marine base with whips and hydras on their backs. Man. Armageddon.