Bringing back leap damage.

FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
Back in Natural Selection when you leaped into a marine, as long the skulk had that leap momentum it did a bit of damage to a marine. While it was never massive (aside from the original iteration of leap) it did really assist in combat. I rather miss the ability to do so and I would love to see that feature back into the game. For those of you who played the original, I would love your thoughts on bringing this feature back for NS2.

Thanks,

-FLuX

Comments

• TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Haha, I remember finding out that leap would do damage each time your crosshair moved across a marine while you're leaping (ns1). Add a hefty amount of mouse wiggle to a close range leap and PRESTO! 75-125dmg leaps.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes.. so yes.
    After marines are a bit balanced & stronger though.
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    I was thinking earlier today, as I was skulking up behind a marine, how sweet it would be if I could leap on his back and it would knock him to the ground. It wouldn't have to hurt him, or be for that long, just long enough to get in one bite and be half ran away by the time he's back to his feet and aiming at your rapidly fleeing arse. :)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Yes.. so yes.
    so after gorgeous?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Make leap + celerity tackle a marine to the ground.

-> No rambos in mid game.
    -> JP and Armor 3 is not influenced.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    After around 1500 hours of NS1, I think I killed a marine with leap once. He sat in a corner and let me leap on his head so we could lulz.

So my question is: why?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited February 2013
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Yes.. so yes.
    so after gorgeous?

As I always mix up names.. if that does increase balance a tad more to 50-50, then yes.

Why Strofix? Because of the lols of course. It probably takes relative little effort, but killing a enemy with a 'silly' weapon like healspray, leap or parasite is just awsome.
    I always chuckle when I riffle bash a lifeform aswell.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    |strofix| wrote: »
    After around 1500 hours of NS1, I think I killed a marine with leap once. He sat in a corner and let me leap on his head so we could lulz.

Leap really shined (shown? did shine?) in vents in NS1. I was a little confused when I first started NS2 about why I wasn't doing damage with leap. I miss it.

That's why! :p
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »

There's nothing magic preventing you from allowing leap to do meaningful amounts of damage.

It didn't work that way in NS 1.0x, although arguably it was unintended and changed/fixed in ns 2.0. You could almost instagib an LA marine with leap by just leaping straight down on them if you caught them sitting still.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited February 2013
    i do miss the lulz in leap killing marines :)

edit: i actually think it would be cool if leap push marines a little, just a enough to knock them off an ledge, or off an edge into a pit hehe.

maybe even giving them a light bump to their aim. (which i know people will scream against)
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    Leap really shined (shown? did shine?) in vents in NS1.

I think it's shone if you are talking about light and shined if you're talking about polishing something("I shined my shoes that day").

schkorpio wrote: »
    i do miss the lulz in leap killing marines :)

edit: i actually think it would be cool if leap push marines a little, just a enough to knock them off an ledge, or off an edge into a pit hehe.

maybe even giving them a light bump to their aim. (which i know people will scream against)

A small knockback? Sounds good to me.. seems logical that it would.