UWE should ride the fail wave of Aliens:Colonial Marines

Comments

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Hugh, you guys are a real class act. Keep up the great work.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Good post Hugh. I like your mentality.

I was also looking forward to the Coop-Part of A:CM. But didn't pre-purchased it because they linked me already with Coop-Promises in AvP and AvP2 years ago.
    I'm really sad that I won't sneak through the Sulaco with my friends. Again!

But anyway. You can take so much fail only with humor:
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited February 2013
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    No tension building, ridiculous AI, shoddy story-line/voice-acting, and no pacing at all.

idk how anyone couldn't have seen this coming.

I cannot blame the alien fans who wanted to support their favorite franchise and some even continue defending the game after it's release. I mean some have waited since the announcement on Dec 2006. They just want another good aliens game but have the misfortune of having their favorite series under the control of suits who are looking to cash on the fandom and popularity. A feeling most of of us can emphasize with regarding how some of our old favorite series were milked. Some figure that if they support and keep the series alive long enough, eventually a good game will be made. But like with me and the megaman series, sometimes it is time to move on.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    No tension building, ridiculous AI, shoddy story-line/voice-acting, and no pacing at all.

I cannot blame the alien fans who wanted to support their favorite franchise and some even continue defending the game after it's release. They just want another good aliens game but have the misfortune of having their favorite series under the control of suits who are looking to cash on the fandom and popularity. Some figure that if they support and keep the series alive long enough, eventually a good game will be made. But like me and the megaman series sometimes it is time to move on.

We can blame them all we want, but we should really blame the marketing sharks. The thing is we should stop buying into these pre-order none-sense from bigger companies for "extra dlc". Its a scam and money grab as far as I'm concerned and the only way to stop this is to stop buying into it...

Defending this game is even worse and doesn't send a message at all to these suits :(
  • neighbsneighbs Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159024Members
    Its sad that this is the era where games are sold to a user base that expects promised features and the devs are just lying for the dollar. I'm not going to name names but I will say that video gaming isn't the same as I remember it. I still have love for the community and try to be an upstanding representative of what was. Thank you UWE for being a beacon in this dark world.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    What a waste. A magnificent chance for a really great gaming experience squandered. How could Gearbox let this happen? Even if they had to choose between developing Borderlands 2 and Colonial Marines, why did they choose BL? Aliens IP is much bigger, better known and most likely would be much more lucrative. For fucks sake, the game was even confirmed to be official Aliens canon by Fox.

@Hugh
    I don't think that using this situation to grow NS2 would make UWE wankers as you say. Business is truly a domain of natural selection, where the weak perish and the strong survive. Gearbox messed up once again, no matter if it was caused by having too many contracts, bad choice of auxiliary developers or anything else - THEY were the ones to make the bad decisions. They deserve all the flak they get for using marketing tricks to cover up their incompetence and ruining the chances of a good Aliens game appearing for many years to come. I hope they get hit hard enough to prevent them tackling another popular franchise ever again. If this is a chance for NS2 to attract more player, I think that by all means UWE should use this opportunity both for theirs and the players' benefit. I'm not suggesting a direct negative camping here, but simply letting know all the disappointed people that NS2 may be what they are looking for.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I cannot blame the alien fans who wanted to support their favorite franchise and some even continue defending the game after it's release. They just want another good aliens game but have the misfortune of having their favorite series under the control of suits who are looking to cash on the fandom and popularity. Some figure that if they support and keep the series alive long enough, eventually a good game will be made. But like me and the megaman series sometimes it is time to move on.

We can blame them all we want, but we should really blame the marketing sharks. The thing is we should stop buying into these pre-order none-sense from bigger companies for "extra dlc". Its a scam and money grab as far as I'm concerned and the only way to stop this is to stop buying into it...

Defending this game is even worse and doesn't send a message at all to these suits :(

Yes the whole pre order dlc and season pass splitting of the community should have been a giant red flag. I hopped over to the colonial marines forums and saw fans aggressively defending the game against common logic. This is the worse thing you could do as a fan since you are contributing to your favorite series being treated like second rate trash. I am an alien's fans too and was so close to preordering but I held back due to all the evidence of this being a bad game. Though it is difficult to hold back when you really like a series.

The problem with the bigger companies is they have the money to advertise. Honestly I came across NS2 by chance and the exosuit reveal appealed to me but I saw Colonial Marines advertisements quite a lot. Everyone is also gutting their series to appeal to the COD audience for more sales of course. I wonder if people will ever start shifting their money to games that deserve it. Eventually I hope that even those that continue to contribute to these bad games will get tired of it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    Indie game design, Steam Greenlight, Desura and kickstarter/indiegogo projects is where it's at if you ask me... There you get true insight of what you're buying into and they don't get pressured by investors or publisher to add stupid stuff that doesn't fit the game. Or even worse, cut things from the game that should be in or is offered up as DLC...
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Alien-colonial-marine-lulzy.gif

That's probably the only way I'll remember Colonial Marines a few years from now.

Dayum shame
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    The saddest part of this story is no doubt that despite the horrendous game they delivered, they'll still have earned millions on initial sales. If this is what big industry game development has come to, our only hope is indie development. Just think what NS2 could have accomplished with only a fraction of the money spent on this disaster.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Alien-colonial-marine-lulzy.gif

That's probably the only way I'll remember Colonial Marines a few years from now.

Dayum shame

As I don't intend on playing the game, what scene is that? I mean...what's the significance of that area?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Honestly I have no idea why people would have considered NS2 a competitor to ACM pre-release. I would estimate a majority of the draw for that game was the single player campaign, and the story that it was expected to tell. NS2 is not a single player game, so the fact that ACM didnt manage to produce a campaign that is even worth loading is pretty irrelevant. Honestly I would say the only redeeming quality in that game would be the multiplayer at this point, with the survival and escape modes being reasonably fun to play (TDM and Extermination are terrible). The biggest issues there really are the maps, with there only being 2 maps for each of those two modes, and the escape mode offering two maps which are horribly balanced, one having tons of health/armor and wide open areas, the other being very close range and no health/armor.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    that vid was awsome.
    Never heared of that game before, but im sure as hell not going to play it.
    I did laugh.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members

"That's how important our industry has become."
  • KomatikKomatik Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183057Members
    Xarius wrote: »
    The saddest part of this story is no doubt that despite the horrendous game they delivered, they'll still have earned millions on initial sales. If this is what big industry game development has come to, our only hope is indie development. Just think what NS2 could have accomplished with only a fraction of the money spent on this disaster.

Most mainstream "hardcore" games sell by hype. You know, the ones that look like Michael Bay movies and whose creators talk of gaming growing up and whatnot.

One of the most interesting parts of the Wii, apart from it's massive success, is the pattern of game sales. They're not a spike on release, then die type thing that's characteristic of selling due to hype. Instead the really successful Wii games sold steadily over time due to word of mouth. In other words, they sold due to happy customers. This steady sales pattern is IMHO one of the best indicators of a true quality game.

Apart from that, devs just need to know their place. Everyone wants to make niche market experiences or makes "casual" games for retards because they think "casual" gamers are retarded. Not respecting your customer is a surefire way to fail. As is everyone wanting to serve mussels served in an artsyfartsy way when people actually want some meatballs and mashed potatoes or a sausage or something. Hideously expensive, limited audience, and in videogaming it's hard to charge more either. Nevermind the games aren't all that good as evidenced by the hype-driven sales. No wonder company after company is bleeding money or going under.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited February 2013
    The degree to which we feared ACM was, in hindsight, crazy. Potential release dates for NS2 were discussed with reference to ACM's potential release date. Around the lunch table, we pondered the pasting reviewers would give us if they were simultaneously reviewing a AAA mega-budget aliens vs marines title.

At shows like GamesCom, PAX-East, and E3 I walked around the ACM super-booths in awe. I spoke to ACM PR reps and they had no idea what NS was. I watched the demos (especially the E3 one) and thought... 'How can we possibly stand up to these guy on the aliens v marine stage?' I walked around the Power Loader in multiple countries and shook my head at the poor luck of having to face this Sega/Gearbox monster in our launch window.

Now, I'm filled with sadness. Sadness at being an Aliens fan and not being able to experience LV-426 like I had imagined I would. Sadness that we spent so much time being afraid of a game that we have beaten on Metacritic by 30 points. Sadness that the launch trailer for ACM probably cost more than 30% of the entire development budget of NS2.

With that marketing machine, with that moneypot, with that kind of development time, with that kind of bullet-proof intellectual property, ACM should have been an absolute hit.

No, UWE won't be milking the poor reception of ACM. To do so would make us wankers, it would be dishonorable. Remember when Warfighter exploded? Activision ran a targeted ad campaign hitting every single Warfighter keyword with CODBLOPSII pre-rolls and banners. I'm sure it got them sales. But it also said much about the kind of company they are.

There is a very subtle aliens reference in the Gorgeous Trailer, but it was scripted in long, long ago. Well before we even realized ACM was landing at the same time as the update. Now, I just hope the press won't can us for 'trying to milk failure.'

I see an awsome button, but no your F***ing amazing button.

Id think you'd like this:
    Don't worry It's a TB video, just the worst thumbnail ever ;)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Scardy, how do you feel about BL2? I feel something has changed between the original and BL2. Something not in a 'good' direction? Really can't put my finger on it other than the personally annoying Inventory Menu 'changes'.

I have had BL FANATIC flatmates (more than one) cuss BL2 right out of my 'suggested co-op' folder, apparently it was just that bad.
    It wasn't as amazing as BL1, but it had many of the same elements that made BL1 fun. Of course, the whole "there is another super secret vault with amazing treasure inside" was totally gimmicky.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Reading the thread made me think of a parallel with the music industry, the movie industry, any art industry and just mass industry in general....

Like we say back home in our language, one is never better served than by himself. Give thanks to UWE for acknowledging that for themselves and letting others do as much with their baby.

Real people do real things :)
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    Wow it looks worse than AvP for PS3/360 that was released not even that long ago.. its too bad that it was buried so fast.. that game was great.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Quote from the E3 interviewer (I dare not write "games journalist"):
    "Of course, Prometheus is in front of a lot of people's minds as well."
    Yes, and it's blocking the frakkin' way!

Seriously. Does Ridley Scott understand his own movie?
    After Prometheus, I'm not so sure about that anymore.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    I remember how mad people were after AvP2010's release

If people are now looking to that game with praise compared to what Aliens:CM has dished out I can only imagine the despair

And just for Reference:
    AvP:2 Gold Edition ($30 USED!. . . expect to pay $50-$60 for a new copy)
    AvP:2010 (as little as $5)

original AvP:2 was released late 2001 and it's multiplayer is still being played; although you need to mod the game to find servers now
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    They should have a free weekend around the time of their new update to bring more players into the game, dealing with new players in pubs is tiresome I know, but without new blood it just makes the game that much quicker to decline.

Id think you'd like this:
    Don't worry It's a TB video, just the worst thumbnail ever ;)

Yeah for a moment there I was like WTF, but then I watched the video and I was like WTF
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    This thread has saved me money.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Poor angry joe, he was really looking forward to this one.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    No, UWE won't be milking the poor reception of ACM. To do so would make us wankers, it would be dishonorable. Remember when Warfighter exploded? Activision ran a targeted ad campaign hitting every single Warfighter keyword with CODBLOPSII pre-rolls and banners. I'm sure it got them sales. But it also said much about the kind of company they are.

There is a very subtle aliens reference in the Gorgeous Trailer, but it was scripted in long, long ago. Well before we even realized ACM was landing at the same time as the update. Now, I just hope the press won't can us for 'trying to milk failure.'

I wouldn't considering it milking, but rather an opportunity to reach out to a lot of angry, sad and disappointed gamers and make them happy because they get to play a really awesome aliens vs marines game. Its like when that horrible AVP movie came out, I was mad and I really wanted to sink my teeth into a good sci-fi, and then along came district 9 to save the day :)

You wouldn't be wankers, you'd be heroes.

• bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I was so disappointed with ACM. It had so much hype. I regretting buying it.
    piratedave wrote: »

This.

Or any other reviews for the game.