Autoreload

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
Good as it is (lacking) or should it be an option?

I know its a newbie mistake to not check your bullets as you run to the next extractor being attacked, then show up and have the reload start instead of firing. But still, it'd be a useful feature.

Comments

• SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    nope. if you don't realize your low on bullets... have you played any fps? i mean, some will do it automatically but it just dumbs-down the game.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    So do I ghost, pretty sure we had that in early beta though
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They have this option in TF2. I turn it off because it is disorienting and I'm smart enough to know when to reload.

Automatic reloading only really gives you an advantage when you disable your weapon model, so the constant animations don't distract you. And I don't roll that way, I like seeing my weapon (and promotes fairness at the same time).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Volcano wrote: »

Tbh I can't remember it ever being in NS2, I was on and off during the beta. Do remember it from older games though, it added so much to gameplay.
    I can understand in this game that maybe the bullets left in the clip add up somehow because it IS in "the future". But I don't understand how games like cod, you can throw away a half empty clip and magically get bullets back.

Having 3-4 almost empty, 5-10 bullet clips was so cool.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Reloading should be player controlled unless the clip is empty.

Personally I miss the mechanic of clips being thrown away when reloaded, eg. 30 bullets left, reload, you lose those 30 bullets. Means you have to really choose whether or not reloading is worth it (not for 2 bullets).
    Got a feeling rainbow six ravenshield or operation flashpoint had it that your half used magazines remained just that...half used.
    Which meant if you reloaded too often you only had clips that where missing bullets.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Tbh I can't remember it ever being in NS2, I was on and off during the beta. Do remember it from older games though, it added so much to gameplay.
    I can understand in this game that maybe the bullets left in the clip add up somehow because it IS in "the future". But I don't understand how games like cod, you can throw away a half empty clip and magically get bullets back.

I like this mechanic in some games, but conversely I hated that those games did not also allow combining mags.

Especially Arma 2. It's oh-so-"realistic," except that you can't spend a minute or two to combine your mags behind a boulder or something. If you are gonna have persistent mags, don't go half way. Sheesh.

Anyway, as for NS2, this mechanic probably won't fit well. People already complain about not having enough bullets in a completely full mag, imagine how bad it would be if they have to worry about 12 bullets in one and 30 in the other. NS2 is too fast paced for persistent mags.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    The reason it works in Arma is because combat in that game tries to be realistic. Let's be frank, marines would lose ALL games if we went that route. Stamina gauge for all forms of movement, going prone, gun jams, locational damage, massive recoil...

Whoops, looks like you were bit in the leg, better hobble back to base at 50% speed.

Some mechanics work for a game and some don't. If persistent clips were removed in Beta, I guess there was a reason.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    hakenspit wrote: »

Personally I miss the mechanic of clips being thrown away when reloaded, eg. 30 bullets left, reload, you lose those 30 bullets. Means you have to really choose whether or not reloading is worth it (not for 2 bullets).
    Got a feeling rainbow six ravenshield or operation flashpoint had it that your half used magazines remained just that...half used.
    Which meant if you reloaded too often you only had clips that where missing bullets.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about, I'm not saying it has a place in this game (which kinda makes it offtopic) just being nostalgic of how great it was.
    Squishpoke wrote: »

I like this mechanic in some games, but conversely I hated that those games did not also allow combining mags.

Especially Arma 2. It's oh-so-"realistic," except that you can't spend a minute or two to combine your mags behind a boulder or something. If you are gonna have persistent mags, don't go half way. Sheesh.

Anyway, as for NS2, this mechanic probably won't fit well. People already complain about not having enough bullets in a completely full mag, imagine how bad it would be if they have to worry about 12 bullets in one and 30 in the other. NS2 is too fast paced for persistent mags.

Agree it doesn't have a place in this game, aliens == non realistic shooter. Doesn't need the mechanic, and it would probably gimp marines since the game isn't really based on frags, and the challenge of getting them.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited February 2013
    EDIT: (Auto-)Reloading is cumbersome & loud, I think it would get you caught with your pants down by skulks more than anything.
    So...you want silent reloading or 250 bullet clips?
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited February 2013

This would ruin me. I have severe OCD when it comes to bullets in my clip. Anything that isn't a round 10, even 49, is getting instantly reloaded.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    |strofix| wrote: »

This would ruin me. I have severe OCD when it comes to bullets in my clip. Anything that isn't a round 10, even 49, is getting instantly reloaded.

I do that as well, I instantly reload as soon as I've stopped firing, even if a skulk just ran around a corner and i have 43 bullets, I reload.

I'm just saying it adds more depth to gameplay.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members

I do that as well, I instantly reload as soon as I've stopped firing, even if a skulk just ran around a corner and i have 43 bullets, I reload.

I think throwing the clip away would be a bit extreme, but I really like games in which the clip is kept as is.

Like in DayZ when you have 10 zombies bearing down on you, and you reload only to find that the clip you just put in has 2 bullets in it. I think this would be particularly... exhilarating in NS2.

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited February 2013
    No. Auto reload has no place in this game for so many reasons.

I think throwing the clip away would be a bit extreme, but I really like games in which the clip is kept as is.

Like in DayZ when you have 10 zombies bearing down on you, and you reload only to find that the clip you just put in has 2 bullets in it. I think this would be particularly... exhilarating in NS2.

Yeah, if I said throw it away before, I meant you keep the clip with X bullets left. Good times.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members

Better in a more realistic shooter, less so in NS2.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Day of defeat did this, and it made perfect sense. When sneaking around behind enemy lines, I actually found myself holding onto magazines that had maybe 10 bullets left because I was trying to conserve ammo. I also actively sought out enemy guns and used them, it gave me sound camouflage (but the game still shows my name along with the icon of the gun I used to kill an enemy soldier).

For NS2, this kind of mechanism would fail horribly because it isn't meant to be as realistic as DOD was (and DOD wasn't highly realistic as far as WW2 shooters went).
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    I don't think the OP is referring to people forgetting to reload when they have 10 bullets left and are running somewhere. I think he means the fact that when you hit 0 bullets, you actually have to press the mouse button again or press the reload key.

Once the gun hits 0 bullets it should auto reload.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    This is the future. surely our armor is such awsome that it generates Ammo on the fly, and just stores the energy for it?
    HEEY. we need to find some weird reason why half a mag becomes full, right? :p
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    I don't think the OP is referring to people forgetting to reload when they have 10 bullets left and are running somewhere. I think he means the fact that when you hit 0 bullets, you actually have to press the mouse button again or press the reload key.

Yeah I see what you mean, and agree, simply because no reason not to.
  • LunosLunos Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68518Members
    edited February 2013

While I do sort of like this feature, ammo is already such a scarce commodity in this game UWE would have to give us more clips to make this truly viable. Also so many marines can't even hit an alien with 50 rounds in the clip, imagine half your team going into a firefight with 20-25 rounds instead. I personally feel reloading is one of the key differences that cause marine losses early game. Aliens just mash mouse1 (they will never run out of energy) while marines can only sustain damage for so long before they are totally vulnerable. This is of course talking about pubbers and not high level players.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members

I do that too very often... although I've faced clever skulks who, just upon retreating, would swiftly come back to attack me, as they expected me to reload into that small time frame; I'm forcing myself not to reload in such situations if i'm >=40 bullets
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ChrisAUS wrote: »

Why should it? The gun doesn't reload itself, it's the marine that initiates the action of reloading. Aside from being a crutch for lazy players, it takes control away from the player in the sense that it happens whether you like it or not.

Assuming that you CAN'T rifle butt during a reload, in some cases you actually want the choice to reload or not so that you can still use the rifle butt. I was sniping a celerity spur last night and my current magazine ran dry, but I still had 2 magazines remaining and 2 skulks jumping around trying to kill me. In desperation I used the rifle butt on the spur and it died. I could have pulled out the pistol, I guess, but eh..whatever works.
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    Never had a problem with reloading on my own. However, I played games where throwing mags left and right meant that you'd be left with noting to shoot, so maybe I just got used to it. I always pay attention to my bullet count so that I don't get unpleasantly surprised in a fight :D . These are things that every player, who plays shooters must have mastered by now or at least be aware.
    I will understand, if you are new though.

About the clip thing, I don't think it will work like many said before me. If the pacing of the game was slower and the emphasis of the game was to be as much authentic, then yes. It would just make life harder on the marines' side and the least thing anybody would want is to make it so.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can rifle butt while reloading, it simply cancels the reload. I do think reload should happen automatically when your bullets hit zero, as opposed to when you try to fire. It's unlikely to make a difference for the rifle but it will help the shotgun and grenade launcher. Most notably is when you pick up one that's empty - you shouldn't have to try to fire it before it starts reloading.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Sure, and next we will see passive reloading then… (It automatically reloads your offhand weapon at a slow pace a few seconds after you holstered it.)
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Assuming that you CAN'T rifle butt during a reload, in some cases you actually want the choice to reload or not so that you can still use the rifle butt.

Good point, I don't think it currently works in this fashion though.