Game Needs More Gore

rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
I think the game would benefit from slightly grittier gameplay. I don't mean marines arms coming off when skulks bite them or Dead Space caliber gore, but some more blood when you shoot a skulk or bite that marine I think would be a nice touch to the game. I was just looking around trying to figure out what the game is freaking rated in the first place but I can't figure it out. If the game is already M then I see no reason a little more couldn't be added. I thought I read somewhere they were planning on putting in some blood decals at some point but I could be mistaken.

I think it would be more satisfying to get in a huge team fight and after see the the bodies with blood all around them perhaps even leaking out of the bodies for a moment rather than just quickly dissolving husks on the ground. Again the amount of blood and if people wanted to take things beyond that is up for debate, but I think as the game is right now, it's too G rated. Inb4 it's not important to the game / the competitive scene.

Comments

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited February 2013
    rmbrown09 wrote: »
    I don't mean marines arms coming off when skulks bite them or Dead Space caliber gore, but some more blood when you shoot a skulk or bite that marine I think would be a nice touch to the game

Man that's exactly what gore is. If they will do gore I want maximum effort put into it. Like fades slicing marines in half, blood gushing everything, alien guts getting on your weapons when they explode. And dead ragdolls to explode when shot/bitten as well. Almost no game does it anymore and it makes getting kills so satisfying. I've seen the railgun alien gibs and it is definitely a good start. But more gore is never a bad thing. I mean as long as there is an option to turn it off no one should mind.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Write a gore mod? Yay lua!
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    I don't mean marines arms coming off when skulks bite them or Dead Space caliber gore, but some more blood when you shoot a skulk or bite that marine I think would be a nice touch to the game

Man that's exactly what gore is. If they will do gore I want maximum effort put into it. Like fades slicing marines in half, blood gushing everything, alien guts getting on your weapons when they explode. And dead ragdolls to explode when shot/bitten as well. Almost no game does it anymore and it makes getting kills so satisfying. I've seen the railgun alien gibs and it is definitely a good start. But more gore is never a bad thing. I mean as long as there is an option to turn it off no one should mind.

Personally I am all for this level of it, but I know a lot of people would not want it. I think if there was an option to disable it though everyone could be happy.
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    Chivalry; Medieval Warfare gore FTW!
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    My worry is that all the extra animations would cause fps drops.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Option for extreme gore would be awsome if it was off by default
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Out of curiosity, exactly what do you feel that adding gore would really bring to the game?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Absolutely nothing. but why the heck not?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Talesin wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, exactly what do you feel that adding gore would really bring to the game?

F-f-fun?

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gore is pointless but small blood splatters make for good atmosphere, and I think the effects in Hugh's video look like plenty.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Didn't you post a thread earlier about using multiple gores rmbrown?

ba dum tssh
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    I too want gore. It's probably because of the extra gratification I would get from of landing a killing swipe and cleaving a Marine in two or having a Skulk's head explode from a well-placed Shotgun blast while the body ragdolls around. I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but hey, it's true. :P

I think it's not so much about being morbid or whatever and more about "feeling" that you won. Just as getting a kill up on the scoreboard (resources for kills would have a similar effect). Gore would fit the look and feel of NS2 too, as explosions fits Space Invaders and coins fits Super Mario...
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

It's called atmosphere, NS used to be thick with it...

I'm all for more gore. Maybe add some more ragdoll physics and make them stay a little bit longer. Give Skulks the option to drag em around and nail them to map geometry, the hidden style xD

But that would probably kill what little performance we have right now...
  • L34DL34D Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63280Members
    Maybe UWE lets us modding the decals. So we can create our own "Gore-Mod" with massive blood. :D

I think they said that they dont want NS2 a gore game.
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    current1y wrote: »

around the 1:15 mark, there is a good example for the coming gore decals. and I like them: not too much, not too excessive.

I liked Dead Space (for the story, weapons, the necromorphs and so many things more) but these limbs which got stuck between Isaacs legs and wobbled around there forEVER .... I DON'T WANT THIS IN NS2!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    rebirth wrote: »

I'm all for more gore. Maybe add some more ragdoll physics and make them stay a little bit longer. Give Skulks the option to drag em around and nail them to map geometry, the hidden style xD

But that would probably kill what little performance we have right now...

Yet, NS managed to be quite atmospheric without ragdolls or gore. :p

Anyway, I like the decal system I'm seeing in the video though. It gives the weapons/bites a bigger feeling of impact without being needlessly over the top in gore.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When I was a teenager, I used to love games like Soldier of Fortune because of all the excessive blood and gore. As a 27-year-old, however, gore in video games is no longer of any particular interest to me. On occasion, I still enjoy a monstrously gory game but most of the time I'm quite satisfied with minimal blood effects - just enough so I can see that I actually hit the target.

I'd be more interested in gore effects if they somehow satisfied my geeky side. For example, I'd be interested to see procedurally generated blood pool and splatter effect that allowed blood to run down any surface (eg: a wall or sloped floor) using the underlying material's normal map as a reference for the physics simulation. But, anyway, I digress.

rebirth wrote: »
    I assume you're referring to NS1 when you say NS. Because that game had even less gore than NS2 currently has so I'm inclined to say that the atmosphere was created by some other means.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Less FPS. More distractions from gameplay.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    More gore? Skulk biting and ripping apart a marine would be good enough + the marine screaming ofc.
    Is something like visible wounds possible? Like a nice bloody fade "scratch" wound on the back or face.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    I was thinking about a gore mod.
    Did you notice the marine structures fall apart?
    It seems like its made just with the ragdoll in the model, so if you use the ns2 models and open them with 3ds max, you could maybe change that.
    But i saw the parts of a structure disapear faster then a ragdoll, so this causes fps or lag if you create a gore mod?
    If you really need a gore mod, i would like to see something like

Gore depend on damagetype.
    For example
    Burning = skin goes black like burned, no blood?
    Shotgun/exo = gore splatter and body parts
    Rifle = default ragdoll
    Bite/fade attack/lerk bite = gore splatter
    Spit/Parasite = default ragdoll
    Onos attack = rip ragdoll in 2 parts upper and lower body
    Lerk Gas = green marine skin.
    I would just love to see more green/red blood if you hit someone, i mean the numbers in the game are very great but you know more blood decals on walls and particles.
    We will
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Less FPS. More distractions from gameplay.

If gore is mostly GPU work, I think most will be fine.
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    edited February 2013
    My ultimate dream for this would be something like

if(MarineShield == 0 && MarineHealth < 50)
    The next skulk bite tears off the ligament closest to the bite location.

So a marine can run around with one arm (stil fully functional)
    BUT once he goes to the armory the arm is regen'd on the model with the same animation that marines spawn with.

Or a marine could get bit in the leg with less than 50hp. His model would run just as fast but he might limp and be missing his foot. Then the foot is regen'd at the armory.

Skulks too for example, could lose an arm, but still function completely normal. But upon being healed grow back the arm.

So the only differences might be in how the model look and runs. The movement animation would not be so different, so as the ruin the game but...

That is my dream.
    My ultimate dream for this would be something like

if(MarineShield == 0 && MarineHealth < 50)
    The next skulk bite tears off the ligament closest to the bite location.

So a marine can run around with one arm (stil fully functional)
    BUT once he goes to the armory the arm is regen'd on the model with the same animation that marines spawn with.

Or a marine could get bit in the leg with less than 50hp. His model would run just as fast but he might limp and be missing his foot. Then the foot is regen'd at the armory.

Skulks too for example, could lose an arm, but still function completely normal. But upon being healed grow back the arm.

So the only differences might be in how the model look and runs. The movement animation would not be so different, so as the ruin the game but...

That is my dream.

Stop doing mushrooms and taking ambien bro. Your dreams are freaking me out man.

We are gonna have legless marines sprinting to hives and wingless lerks hovaring without flapping.