Gorge Spit - Great, it's only 30 damage now but..

LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Ray_Can_t_See_Shit.jpg

It makes it all the more incredibly difficult to fight groups of skulks or other lifeforms when you're just being slapped in the face with the blinding effect.

Combine that with this game's clusterf*** of other blinding effects and visual atrocities and it's just impossible to track anything half the time with your brain completely mindf***ed by all the effects and green/orange mess in your face.

Comments

• BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited February 2013
    That was always my biggest problem with it. I didn't mind getting 4 shot since I could kill a gorge just as fast. It was getting hit once then being blind and barely being able to retaliate that really screwed me.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    start moving and hopping, spit has travel time.
    All marines I spit shoot have the big mistake of standing still.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Lol, I'm constantly A-D strafing and hopping in combat. That doesn't mean you never get hit. I hit competitive players with spit all the time. Even solo them at some stages.. because.. they can't see shit.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    It. Is. Fine. Slower travel time than pre-patch, and less damage. Other issues are actually issues.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    It's good, it's fun playing as a gorge when you're supporting your skulks, you can either choose to support them by blinding their enemy or try to heal spray them
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Or you damage them with spit and that's all it does and you can also heal spray.

The additional blinding effect is just another kick in the nuts among all the other unnecessary visual clutter that should be disabled on the lowest settings imo and let the "ultra settings" immersion lovers enjoy the blind if they want it.
    edited February 2013
    Compelling reason? You're fucking blinded in a game that is about aim against movement. Not aiming into a smokescreen of green and orange. How does it ruin the game? It adds unnecessary immersion effects to those that may or may not want them. On the lowest settings you should not have to deal with all of the visual clutter that remains on your screen.

What scenarios?

Try any group engagement involving a semi competent gorge hitting spits causing Marines to have half of their screen covered in a green wall making tracking even more difficult in a game that already has enough animation issues and visual clutter that would drive anyone taking the game seriously up a cliff. Any competent Marine player would definitely agree it is frustrating when you come across a skulk or group of skulks or maybe a lerk and you're just being spit on as you dance around thus making it even more difficult to even track.

Obviously it's not some huge overpowered flaw in the game but it definitely effects gameplay enough to be noted and discussed.

I understand some people want poop on their screen. Let them have it on higher settings or even a setting called "poop on my screen" but I don't want poop on my screen.

Please take the poop off my screen.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    It's a part of NS2 and a part of the asymmetrical design. Get used to it. All you are saying is, "I don't like it and want it out.".
    "It's part of the asymmetrical design." Really? That's a really broad and rather irrelevant statement.

I have no quarrel with asymmetrical design but that really does not back up any reasoning as to why the blinding effect should stay in the game for those that choose not to have poop on their screen.
    Locklear wrote: »
    Compelling reason? You're fucking blinded in a game that is about aim against movement. Not aiming into a smokescreen of green and orange. How does it ruin the game? It adds unnecessary immersion effects to those that may or may not want them. On the lowest settings you should not have to deal with all of the visual clutter that remains on your screen.

What scenarios?

Try any group engagement involving a semi competent gorge hitting spits causing Marines to have half of their screen covered in a green wall making tracking even more difficult in a game that already has enough animation issues and visual clutter that would drive anyone taking the game seriously up a cliff. Any competent Marine player would definitely agree it is frustrating when you come across a skulk or group of skulks or maybe a lerk and you're just being spit on as you dance around thus making it even more difficult to even track.

Obviously it's not some huge overpowered flaw in the game but it definitely effects gameplay enough to be noted and discussed.

I understand some people want poop on their screen. Let them have it on higher settings or even a setting called "poop on my screen" but I don't want poop on my screen.

Please take the poop off my screen.
    Okay, let's get one thing straight, this is not a single player game. You can't go around making those kinds of calls, because a certain amount of COHESION must exist in order for the game to remain fair, and to not undercut the efforts of the developers that made those effects with GAMEPLAY IN MIND. I don't want blinding removed, I think smoke and mirrors make for exciting gameplay mechanics, instead of a banal game of numbers vs numbers and good aiming. NS2 has that advantage in game design, Left 4 Dead did it brilliantly.

If blinding frustrates, guess what, the gorge was aiming well, and you have every right to pay for that. "Unnecessary immersion effects" is highly opinionated and you know it—like I said, it's an opinion that you have, and if you don't want "poop" on your screen, I want it.
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    I also don't see the point (see what I did there?) maybe for realism sake?

it's a frustrating mechanic, must be fun to you but it really isn't for the receiving end.

the gorge spit is already good enough, deals good damage and allows the gorge to defend himself against stock marines.
    edited February 2013
    Okay, let's get one thing straight, this is not a single player game. You can't go around making those kinds of calls, because a certain amount of COHESION must exist in order for the game to remain fair, and to not undercut the efforts of the developers that made those effects with GAMEPLAY IN MIND. I don't want blinding removed, I think smoke and mirrors make for exciting gameplay mechanics, instead of a banal game of numbers vs numbers and good aiming. NS2 has that advantage in game design, Left 4 Dead did it brilliantly.

If blinding frustrates, guess what, the gorge was aiming well, and you have every right to pay for that. "Unnecessary immersion effects" is highly opinionated and you know it—like I said, it's an opinion that you have, and if you don't want "poop" on your screen, I want it.

You could assume the developers did the effects for "gameplay balance" and that may or may not be true but that's besides the point. The point is that Marines can't see shit when they are being blinded by numerous blinding effects. This creates an artificial skill floor for aliens to hop in and do damage without using any skillful movement. Thus ruining the entire concept of aim vs. movement.

The gorge does not have to aim well. Marine movement is so slow and easy to predict a half-wit holding down M1 can eventually hit a decent marine in combat.

It's an opinion that has many valid facts behind it. Your screen is covered in poop. It's harder to aim when your screen is covered in poop. This hurts engagements for Marines on a general early-mid game period quite a bit.

If you want poop on your screen, that's pretty awesome. I respect that opinion but I'm going to speak up here for many people I know that don't..

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    It is terrible and needs to go
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I would like to see all these so called "immersion" effects removed. They made the right call by removing the annoying celerity effects and I would hope they continue in the right direction by removing the crazy spit blinding effects and the bile bomb splash effects.

Well I'd love to see what one of the devs has to say about it, considering disorientation and 'smoke and mirrors' are kind of in the same ballpark for aliens.
    Gorge spit travel time is relatively slow and fires relatively slow as well. It's not hard to not get hit by it. It is not like some overpowered ability, however, it at least does give a gorge a fighting chance to kill something or hit and escape from a battle. WIthout it, the gorge would be even worse in combat and would be regulated completely to bilebombing and healing/building.

Still, all you are saying is, "I can't see anything and it should be go." That's not a reason for removing an intended feature.

Competitive players never like anything that interrupts their ability to fight back, this is pretty much true in every game, but it is not a reason for removing a feature.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Do non-competitive players like not being able to fight back?
    eh? wrote: »
    Do non-competitive players like not being able to fight back?

Casual players have a different mindset and don't care as much as they realize it is just a feature of the game and deal with it. Just like competitive players need to learn to deal with it.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    gorge spit overlay drops my FPS by 10-30, so regardless of what the intention is for disorientation or whatever - it clearly doesn't work until performance issues are sorted out. should be removed and balanced in other areas, at the very least until performance is at an acceptable standard
  • coldsmokecoldsmoke Join Date: 2004-07-28 Member: 30202Members
    Gorge blinding spit is a good mechanic, it should stay. I just wish the damage was back up to 40.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Help! I got hit by gorge spit in the knee and I can't see.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    So does anyone want to honestly answer my question without dodging it?
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    eh? wrote: »
    So does anyone want to honestly answer my question without dodging it?

I can answer it with another question:
    What's the counter to good aim?