13»

Comments

• PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    this is the worst thread i've ever seen
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Yep, which is why I said:
    ITT:
    "WAAaah I can't shoot the jumping skulks."

• GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013
    Quake 1 had unrestricted air control, and it raised the skill ceiling.
    I think you guys are pulling a chicken little over this.

If skulks have lots of air control, then good skulks will be better at it than other skulks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s-PX82wsvtw
    no, it did not.

good players in Quake had to airstrafe to convert their existing momentum, not hold a single button and create new acceleration from nothing.
    Either way, better players will be better at using air control to their advantage.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    For allowing/keeping aircontrol at its current level:
    • Allows a higher skill ceiling by providing a larger amount of things to learn/become proficient at
    • Allows a larger differentiating factor between new players and experienced players
    • Allows easy movement for all races for climbing world objects (onto crates, getting into vents etc)
    • Reducing the air control would just reduce the depth of Skulk game play
    • If aliens do not have a skill based movement system then as aim improves, aliens can do nothing to match that increase in skill

Unsure:
    • Benefits Skulks above other lifeforms (inc marine) due to playstyle, melee in your face, size and speed.
    • All other lifeforms have to pay for their air-control movement (lerk: wingflap, Fade: Shadowstep/blink, skulk has leap which would accomplish this as well as such strong air-control)

Against:
    • Counter-intuitive when aiming as Marine due to extremely unrealistic portrayal of physics
    • Allows for "flying-skulks[tm]"
    • It's too easy to move in the air, there is no skill needed, you just point in the direction you want to move as you fall. If you nerfed it, you'd have to consider the jumps you make and have a penalty for bad ones

TL;DR I don't want this removed, I just think right now it is too strong, tone it down a little bit so it's more skill based and less "I want to go this way - POINT". As it stands right now, you suffer no penalty for bad aircontrol (short of pressing backwards if you want to go forwards), you don't suddenly slow down and become an easy target like you do in other games (CS/QW/etc) if you got it wrong.
    Are you saying I should get a steering wheel, and use that to play a skulk?

I guess the horn could be bite.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    That would be awesome indeed!
    The mental image was too great to pass up.

Gas would be forward, brake would be jump, the gear shift the weapons, horn would be attack.

I'm picturing myself steering manically while mashing the horn, and stomping the pedals trying to bite marine feet.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Are you saying I should get a steering wheel, and use that to play a skulk?

I guess the horn could be bite.

Hahahahaha. I'm sure someone has made this work already. See this