Fade is OP

Blake IceBlake Ice Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172262Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Just in case it isn't freaking obvious. One fade shouldn't be able to fly off like a lerk after it kills 3 marines shooting at it for ten minutes!

Moved to General - Insane

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Wrong forum, PS: Shotguns
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    3 Marines can put a Fade down pretty sharpish if they work together on it :)
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The last few games in which I've encountered a Fade, I just bought a shotgun and shot it once. Then my team-mates finish it off with a few bullets from their rifles before I even have time to shoot it a second time.

Not OP.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I misread that as 'moved to Insane.'

Sounds like a suitable subforum for such a topic...!
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited February 2013
    Mexican Salsa Sauce, too. It's way less then i imagined and i am consuming to much. Help.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Salute to General Insane!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    It's pretty freaking obvious fade is not OP, and that if your shots would actually hit the target, that fade would go down in seconds.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    lol fade op, lol, easiest life form for me to kill with a level 2-3 shotty
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Cysts are op.
    Only when used with this mod
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    A fade will disappear in a 'blink' of an eye to a shottie marine that can land 2 full blasts.
    And that's with carapace.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    fades shouldn't be able to dodge bullets, this isnt the matrix.
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Fade are not overpowered, it's just you being bad at the game and needing to improve yourself. Perhaps try a new approach to going up against Fades.

Last night alone by myself I was able to knock a Fade down to 75% with just a regular gun before an Exo fired from across the room and popped him off the rest of the way. At the end, I still have around 50% life left.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    edited February 2013
    fades are op, a good fade can finish the game with one life. even if his team is losing. but not in veil lol
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Not since they took out feign death.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    edited February 2013
    Zek wrote: »
    Fades are not OP, however they are one of the ways that a highly skilled player can exert a disproportionate amount of influence over a typical pub game. It's just a natural consequence of having an expensive lifeform with a high skill ceiling. Same thing happened tenfold in NS1, though the alien team was balanced around having a rockstar Fade.

Exactly this - a single skilled fade can decimate a large number of nominal marines. I do think Fades can escape a little bit too easily at times though!

When you hear that "clak clak clak" damage - is that doing damage, or being mitigated by blink? I just don't know... it's very unintuitive at times what is going on in this game with regards to damage being dealt. Since the sound is the same as when as a marine and you get vortexed anything you fire on receives that sound I assume I'm doing no damage?

If that is the case, should fades be "immortal" inside blink considering it's movement modifier?
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    Fades do receive damage while blinking, but you are right, the sound may be misleading.
    There will be some features in the future to help you at getting hit feedback iirc
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    one way to take out fades is to have really bad ping... that way you can land 20 bullets before the fade realises its getting shot and blinks/shadowsteps
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, a 50 pres lifeform that can be killed in 2 hits.

nerf blink, buff shotgun dmg ples.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    How to beat fades:
    Sidestep constantly.

With how slow their attacks are, it's really, really easy to time your dodges.
    Well, versus the average fade anyways.

I've got the dodging part down, I just need to work on my "Shooting them while dodging for 15 seconds" skill.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    Zek wrote: »
    Fades are not OP, however they are one of the ways that a highly skilled player can exert a disproportionate amount of influence over a typical pub game.

I agree with Zek on this one.

One of the guys in our squad is a terrifying Fade and easily go's 50 / 0 and completely turns the game around. Some people put a lot of effort in to learning the life forms and it shows. I don't think they are OP at all because marines put me down in seconds as a Fade :P

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Oh boy, here we go again.
    0-1 level marines fades are great, level 2-3 they are bad

something needs to be done with scaling

overall fades are laughable
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members

Something needs to done with scaling in general. Need a passive upgrade chamber similar to marine arms lab.
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Emoo wrote: »
    Something needs to done with scaling in general. Need a passive upgrade chamber similar to marine arms lab.

Win ratio is 60% aliens to 40% marines, I don't think there need to be any big changes.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited February 2013

I've made the suggestion before but what about having armories not repair armor. Any thing past 15ish min mark you rarely ever catch a A2/3 marine on his own and you usually find them close to armories. This would make marines either use welders (more teamwork..yay), or use macs more.

Downside right now though is marines need all the help they can get so I'm not sure its the right time to implement it unless other balance changes are made as well. On the Plus side it looks like marines got back 2% in the win/loss ratio so i guess that is progress...
    my suggestion was aliens will naturally get stronger based on the number of hives active, sort of like upgrading marine armor and weapons,
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Of course Fade is OP.

At the right time.