What Performance SHOULD I be getting

WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
I have 1920x1080 resolution, with every thing on high, apart from Ambient Occlusion.

Also, how to check your RAM details

PC Specs in Signature

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Ivy Bridge on stock would get lower FPs then my Sandy on 4.2 GHz. I can't tell you for sure how much FPS you would be getting though. A range of 30-100 heavy combat-no combat would be my best bet. On "turbo mode you'd probably be able to add at least 15-20FPS to the minimum of that guesstimate.

You can check your RAM usage in Taskmanager, or you can download a standalone and free program called CPUZ to check out the timings ans speeds of your memory/mobo/CPU and such
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    Does my CPU or GPU need upgrading would you say?
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    Just played 19 minutes on Veil with ambient occlusion off and everything else on max except infestation and here is what I got:

Min: 43 FPS
    Avg: 86 FPS
    Max: 128 FPS

This is with an i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz and a GTX 570.

This is a slight boost over what I was seeing before doing the .dll swap that is mentioned in this thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127803/build-239-benchmarks-some-performance-tips#latest

The easiest way to get a huge FPS increase is to overclock, but without a K series chip you're going to have a harder time getting it stable. Your motherboard should be just fine though, although your Ivy bridge is wasted on a Z68 to be honest. Z77 would be better so you can get the PCI-E 3.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013
    Your CPU needs some OC'ing if you can figure it out, and your GPU could definitely use an upgrade. A GTX 670 is only around $350 and you'll see a big performance improvement. If you OC up to around 4.2ghz or so you should see a pretty immediate improvement in fps though. Just make sure you keep your cpu cool.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    GPU performance generally is not the bottleneck to NS2 performance; it tends to be purely CPU-capped. Additionally, core-count doesn't matter as much as clockspeed... the code is not optimized to take advantage of multithreading too effectively at this point, meaning single-core speed is where you'll see the biggest gains. So even going to a Core i7 would do you no real good, unless it was clocked higher than your current CPU.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd guess it would average between 30 and 60 fps over the course of a match. To know which upgrade would give you a bigger boost, type 'r_stats' into the console and check the 'waiting for GPU' over the course of a match. If its consistently over about 5ms, then a new GPU would be best, if not, then a better CPU is in order (which, in your case, likely means switching to a k-processor, e.g. 2500/2600/2700/3570/3770k, and overclocking).
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    His cpu is pretty good though though he can probably OC it heavily if he wanted to. Honestly I think most people here expect 60+ at all time when they have high end PCs. Maybe the new intel cpu Haswell can change that in a few months.
    I'm not allowed to overclock as it is not my PC, so keeping this in mind what would you say
  • travbradtravbrad Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169047Members
    I'm not allowed to overclock as it is not my PC, so keeping this in mind what would you say

Well, there is no way to really upgrade your CPU if you can't overclock. The best CPUs available right now would give you maybe 5%-10 more performance in NS2, whereas overclocking would probably be more like 15-20%.

Intel does have some new CPUs (Haswell) coming out in 4 months, so if you are looking to upgrade your CPU I would wait to see what that brings. I honestly think your CPU is perfectly fine for NS2 though (even without overclocking). Sure you may not be able to max every setting and get 100FPS, but I'm not sure anyone can do that..
    Talesin wrote: »
    GPU performance generally is not the bottleneck to NS2 performance; it tends to be purely CPU-capped.

It all depends which CPU and which graphics card someone has. I have an i5-2500K @4.5ghz, and my GTX460 was dropping down to 15-20FPS even with all settings at their lowest. Last week I got a GTX660 and now I can run pretty smoothly even turning up a lot of settings.

Of course if someone has a GTX680 already, they should probably look at upgrading/overclocking their CPU.
    So again to re-cap, I'm not allowed to overclock, so what would you say needs upgrading, CPU or GPU?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your computer is more powerful than mine (i5 3.10Ghz and GTX 460), and I get stable 60+ framerates, with it dropping down to the 50's late-game, at 120hz 1920x1080. Do you really need to upgrade yours?
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Your computer is more powerful than mine (i5 3.10Ghz and GTX 460), and I get stable 60+ framerates, with it dropping down to the 50's late-game, at 120hz 1920x1080. Do you really need to upgrade yours?

What are your graphics options?

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »

What are your graphics options?

rpJx86F.jpg

EDIT: I remember that I turned on the TPU switch on my motherboard. If you have that, why not try turning it on? It might give you a free performance boost.
    I'm sorry, as I am not familiar with Motherboard's but what is a TPU switch? I might know it in another name possibly
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You should be around 40 - 60 FPS. In my opinion, no need to upgrade.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I wouldn't upgrade anything on that system unless you were planning to overclock, which you already said you're not.

What FPS are you getting, you've not actually said...
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Davil wrote: »
    Your CPU needs some OC'ing if you can figure it out, and your GPU could definitely use an upgrade. A GTX 670 is only around $350 and you'll see a big performance improvement. If you OC up to around 4.2ghz or so you should see a pretty immediate improvement in fps though. Just make sure you keep your cpu cool.

Then either I am getting really bad performance or you are getting really good performance.
    I am running the same exact settings as you, basically the same CPU (same clock speed too) but with a 690 and getting 40 - 50 fps all late game around any type of infestation. Using the latest .96 beta drivers. I also use vsync which now that I think about it people said to turn off.

Either way I am using 2560x1440 but am getting less than 60 frames pretty much anytime infestation is around. Marine base I do ok.

1440p isn't that much harder to run than 1080p.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    rmbrown09 wrote: »

It is actually much harder. It's 33% more pixels to draw.

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

No lol. This is good hardware. The only way to get more out of NS2 atm is to overclock.
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I wouldn't upgrade anything on that system unless you were planning to overclock, which you already said you're not.

What FPS are you getting, you've not actually said...

I'm getting around 40-70, with the 70 being in no infestation areas, and 40 being IN infestation areas
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Honestly I wouldn't upgrade anything if I were you, find better things to spend money on. Your computer is fine for NS2. If you want more performance, wait for more optimizations and drop a few settings in the meantime.
  • hjalti8hjalti8 Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173756Members
    edited February 2013
    Even with the latest i7@4.5ghz you will get under 40fps late game. I am pretty sure that your 560TI can maintain 60fps(if not lower IQ) at the highest settings so if you want a performance boost you will have to buy a i5/i7 (k version, you won't be able to oc your non-K i5 over 3.9ghz) and go into overclocking.
    If you don't want to overclock then the only thing you can do is wait for some optimization patches.

Zefram wrote: »

Actually it is 78% more pixels
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    hjalti8 wrote: »
    Even with the latest i7@4.5ghz you will get under 40fps late game.

That's simply not true. The lowest I've seen since swapping the DX9 .dll from 42 to 43 is 43 in late game. That's with everything but infestation maxed out. I've since turned atmospherics off just because I find it easier to spot enemies and I imagine that min FPS number has gone up a few since then.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    hjalti8 wrote: »
    Zefram wrote: »

Actually it is 78% more pixels

Indeed, 2560x1440 is a LOT harder work than 1920x1080!!

Gotta multiply up as you're comparing an area!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Hm I doubt DX9.dlls or changing graphical settings will do anything for mid to late game performance. Unless you are GPU bottlenecked. Though it can probably influence the frames at the start until the lua code bogs down the CPU. You can tell by looking at waiting for GPU using r_Stats. By mid to end game it usually hits 0 meaning that it is now waiting on the CPU.

It really depends on what goes on late game. In most cases you usually get 40+ when you have a heavy overclock on an i5/i7. Of course I am talking about 24p servers. But it really depends on what goes on during the game. Usually the worst you see is 40-60. But sometimes depending on what the Kham/Com does it can go lower if they start making a lot of whips/Macs and other entities. I can change any settings I want late game to high or low and frames still will not budge from what they are.

But that is just performance for heavily OCed cpus which most people do not have. So you can already get a good guess of the performance everyone else gets.