Docking (east wing)

shaq_mobileshaq_mobile Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69575Members
I know you guys are adjusting and balancing the game with all aspects in mind. However, the changes to docking seem to have made it much more difficult for marines. It was already, in large games, a lost cause. Now it's a joke. The extended running time and added dimension to aiming to departures has made it difficult. Cafeteria and departures both got huge buffs with the last patch. I think that was a tad much. Cafe was near impossible to hold, for aliens, with the tech point being out in the open. Departures was difficult because it was close to Terminal and was easily ARCable. Maybe we need a happy medium? Perhaps make the access to East Wing less painful? It's all anecdotal and I rarely play with less than 20 people. Obviously, my experience is not totally balanced.

Comments

• shaq_mobileshaq_mobile Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69575Members
    Sorry, that second sentence is misleading. The changes to "East Wing" have made Docking more difficult. Soz, I've had a few.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    ns_docking... a lost cause for Marines? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    Stop playing defensively. Courtyard gives you easy access to EVERY alien expansion RT, go hunt them. Get a PG in Courtyard or even better, in Stability, and end the game by keeping the aliens in 2 RTs.
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    I actually like docking and don't find it all that terrible. There's a lot of viable places to go as marines. In fact if they get Locker Rooms I find the map well balanced.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    sorry but i've only ever won as aliens on docking when i have 2 permanent gorges and 4 skulks jumping between them, 1 in maintinence, and one in stability. or the marines get lazy/complacent and just decide not to go reschomping.
    The new east wing is actually far easier to defend my fruend, why? Well... less cover, higher roof, more light, etc.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Stop playing defensively. Courtyard gives you easy access to EVERY alien expansion RT, go hunt them. Get a PG in Courtyard or even better, in Stability, and end the game by keeping the aliens in 2 RTs.
    But, but.. Marines should always split up. Wheel of Extractors is important!!! We need to hold East Wing, it's the closest Extractor to the Marine base. Can't let Aliens have it! Why go to Courtyard, the even removed the Resource there, we should get Cafeteria. Phase Gate in Bar ASAP!!!
    And so on.

I wish people would do what you say. The whining about "Docking is unwinnable for Aliens" would never stop.

• CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    hozz wrote: »
    But, but.. Marines should always split up. Wheel of Extractors is important!!! We need to hold East Wing, it's the closest Extractor to the Marine base. Can't let Aliens have it! Why go to Courtyard, the even removed the Resource there, we should get Cafeteria. Phase Gate in Bar ASAP!!!
    And so on.

1 - Don't take east wing unless you plan to hold departures.

2 - Never take caf first, lockers is closer. If you take lockers you automatically get caf, and if aliens are in lockers you just rush and win

• SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I played a match a few nights ago and marines had east wing locked down tight... Aliens had no chance to take it.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    There is no point fighting over rts with the aliens. You have to put a base in their face so they have serious trouble expanding. If you cant do that because the aliens are better, the game pretty much ends there. There is no strategy you can apply if your marines cant hit the skulks, most likely you play vs a stacked team.
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    East Wing is amazingly easy to hold now, not difficult. You put an armory at the top of the escalators behind the pillar and a single shotgun can hold off a fade or 2 skulks easily. Add any other forward structures or more marines and East wing becomes the new terminal.

I don't get how its hard they made it open, and that's where marines excel.
  • shaq_mobileshaq_mobile Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69575Members
    All i know is from what i've experienced. from both aliens and marines on that map, in larger matches (12v12). I've never seen an RT survive there for any amount of time. It's very easy as an alien to walk in there, duck behind the escalator for a quick escape or use the complex ceiling and beams to avoid being seen.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    All i know is from what i've experienced. from both aliens and marines on that map, in larger matches (12v12). I've never seen an RT survive there for any amount of time. It's very easy as an alien to walk in there, duck behind the escalator for a quick escape or use the complex ceiling and beams to avoid being seen.

The source of most marine difficulties in pubs is a lack of aggression. If marines are playing a reactionary game, focusing all their effort on running back and forth between the RTs that come under attack, they'll never get anywhere. If you want to stop aliens from harassing your stuff, attack them harder so they have no choice but to defend.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Heh, the old "I lost a game becuase the nub marine team went nuts over one res node on a map with 9 others available, after having a few beers and now I'm going to post" post.

I'm sure I have many of those notched on the belt.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Well, it might be easy for an alien to kill East Wing rt depending on the circumstances but it's also pretty straight forward for a marine to go into Maintenance or Stability. It can all be eye for an eye, really.

The next update has Bar moving west to stop the siegeing from the corner which has overlapped into some other changes to Cafe. Central is actually going to be worth a damn now as well. Also looking at specifically designated random spawns for marines with these new changes, too.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    While docking is good for marines most people are just ignoring his point which is perfectly valid, new east wing is basically alien heaven, can't be held unless you have a marine camped out there 24/7, which is not a counter point.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    woopty fricken do. the whole map is good for docking and one room doesn't bow down to you and you bitch and whine? Seriously?
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Canucck wrote: »
    hozz wrote: »
    And so on.

1 - Don't take east wing unless you plan to hold departures.

2 - Never take caf first, lockers is closer. If you take lockers you automatically get caf, and if aliens are in lockers you just rush and win

That second assumption has won me two games since the docking change as aliens. Marines take lockers and neglect caf since aliens would NEVER try to put a hive in between two marine bases right? Thing is, marines don't actually get to control the territory between their bases because of the way phase gates work. The real trick is just getting cysts down to caf, but that's not strictly necessary if you've got two gorges waiting there.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    5 Step Plan To Always End The Game With A Marine Win On Docking.

Step 1: Command. Tell everyone but 1 person to go straight to Stability Monitoring. Make sure they keep going there. Have other person cap. Keep yelling.
    Step 2: Research Mines. Yell about buying mines.
    Step 3: Put armory in Stability Monitoring. Yell at players to put mines everywhere.
    Step 4: Research Upgrades/Shotguns. Yell about shotguns. Also, yell about mines again.
    Step 5: Yell at team to: Shoot down Hive if Generator. If Departures, ARC Departures out from StabMon.
    Step 5a: If Locker Rooms, lock down Gen and push Ball Court. Put Armory. Yell about mines again. Shoot hive from right inside glass partition/hallway.

GG.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    dux wrote: »
    The next update has Bar moving west to stop the siegeing from the corner which has overlapped into some other changes to Cafe.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

edited February 2013
    The next update has Bar moving west to stop the siegeing from the corner

I didn't see this earlier so I have to ask.... why?

Because of the plethora of complaints that are from same people who complain about ARCs shooting through walls?

Bar is the closest RT to the Locker Rooms hive, it's one of two direct ways to the hive from the default Marine start (and vice versa) and it's accessible through three entrances (South/Caf, West/Back Alley, and North-east vent [that has two approaches])

If Aliens cannot, or choose not, to hold that RT point... they deserve to lose that hive to a siege point.

Removing the siege point is placating the problem of bad play rather than bad design. Hives should be "ARCable" from siege points located adjacent to the hive. This point is one of the absolute closest, and essential, points for the Aliens to access.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited February 2013
    ns2_arcing
    5 Step Plan To Always End The Game With A Marine Win On Docking.

Step 1: Command. Tell everyone but 1 person to go straight to Stability Monitoring. Make sure they keep going there. Have other person cap. Keep yelling.
    Step 2: Research Mines. Yell about buying mines.
    Step 3: Put armory in Stability Monitoring. Yell at players to put mines everywhere.
    Step 4: Research Upgrades/Shotguns. Yell about shotguns. Also, yell about mines again.
    Step 5: Yell at team to: Shoot down Hive if Generator. If Departures, ARC Departures out from StabMon.
    Step 5a: If Locker Rooms, lock down Gen and push Ball Court. Put Armory. Yell about mines again. Shoot hive from right inside glass partition/hallway.

GG.

Considering the map, the most important part of this strategy is actually the yelling part.

Because of the plethora of complaints that are from same people who complain about ARCs shooting through walls?

Bar is the closest RT to the Locker Rooms hive, it's one of two direct ways to the hive from the default Marine start (and vice versa) and it's accessible through three entrances (South/Caf, West/Back Alley, and North-east vent [that has two approaches])

If Aliens cannot, or choose not, to hold that RT point... they deserve to lose that hive to a siege point.

Removing the siege point is placating the problem of bad play rather than bad design. Hives should be "ARCable" from siege points located adjacent to the hive. This point is one of the absolute closest, and essential, points for the Aliens to access.

It's the only resource point on any map that you can ARC a Hive from (that I am aware of) aside from Central Drilling on Mineshaft. You're not supposed to be able to ARC from two rooms away.
    You're not supposed to be able to ARC from two rooms away.

Thank god it's immediately adjacent.

To me, arguing Alien's shouldn't have to control the nearest tech point, approach path and ARC point is pretty much dumbing down the game even further. It's a crucial location, immediately adjacent to a hive.
    You're not supposed to be able to ARC from two rooms away.

Thank god it's immediately adjacent.

To me, arguing Alien's shouldn't have to control the nearest tech point, approach path and ARC point is pretty much dumbing down the game even further. It's a crucial location, immediately adjacent to a hive.
    Immediately adjacent? Back Alley is immediately adjacent. Onos Bar is NOT. Dumbing down of tactics? Onos Bar ARC siege is fucking cheese on a map that is already Marine biased. This is one of those fixes that has been a long time coming.
    How on earth is it not immediately adjacent? Back Alley is a hallway with a name, Bar is a room with a directly connected vent. For aliens, it's immediately adjacent. You're basically trying to argue that Ball Court isn't adjacent to Locker because there is a hallway between the two, or same with Stability Monitoring and Generator. Ridiculous.

Again, I'll repeat it. If Aliens are too bad to hold the easily accessible, nearest resource tower and nearest point of attack, they deserve to lose that Hive. No different than if Marines can maintain control on Stability Monitoring, Aliens should lose Generator Hive. There is no difference as each are easily accessed by ARCs, resource tower points, next to a hive and are overall strategically crucial.
    edited February 2013
    How on earth is it not immediately adjacent? Back Alley is a hallway with a name, Bar is a room with a directly connected vent. For aliens, it's immediately adjacent. You're basically trying to argue that Ball Court isn't adjacent to Locker because there is a hallway between the two, or same with Stability Monitoring and Generator. Ridiculous.

Again, I'll repeat it. If Aliens are too bad to hold the easily accessible, nearest resource tower and nearest point of attack, they deserve to lose that Hive. No different than if Marines can maintain control on Stability Monitoring, Aliens should lose Generator Hive. There is no difference as each are easily accessed by ARCs, resource tower points, next to a hive and are overall strategically crucial.

I know it's an old version of the map. Sue me.
    jTfel0K.jpg
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bar is basically the Alien's version of East Wing, if you think about it.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013

It's the only resource point on any map that you can ARC a Hive from (that I am aware of) aside from Central Drilling on Mineshaft. You're not supposed to be able to ARC from two rooms away.

It has nothing to do with how many rooms it is away. It is about how long the aliens need to travel to react to an ARC push. And Omar is right. There are more than enough short routes to Bar from Locker. I don't get why this ARC point has to be removed. Central in mineshaft is NOT comparable. There is no short rout from Deposit to central.

At the topic: If marine commanders would finally learn, that a PG don't has to be placed at a TechPoint, much would be won. As already said, Stability is a much much better location for a PG than Departures or Generator. The same goes for Central and Crusher in Mineshaft or Ventilation in Summit.
    It's funny. Your map of "according to the world of Omar The Wire" has several things I've never said, alluded to, or believe.

Bar is only one of the most important rooms in the game, to Aliens, if they're in Locker Rooms. Just like Maintenance to Locker / Gen, StabMon to Gen/Departures.

Ball Court IS adjacent to Locker Rooms, just like Bar is. If Locker Rooms was Marine Start, I'd agree that Bar isn't adjacent as Marines can't crawl through vents easily or effectively. Aliens can and using that allows them to immediately access to Bar. In fact, it's one of the quickest points Aliens can reach after spawning central Locker Rooms.

I don't think anyone would argue that Back Alley is nothing more than a hallway to let Marines get into Locker from the western side. It's not a "room" and it's strategic value is directly dependent on Bar. In terms of "area" it's only marginally bigger than Bar. It's just laid out in a more elongated, narrow fashion... almost like a hallway. Weird.

Finally, since you're apparently a bit of a twat when someone disagrees adamantly with you, I'll respond in kind.

asshatd.jpg
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Onos Bar ARC siege is fucking cheese on a map that is already Marine biased. This is one of those fixes that has been a long time coming.

Not sure what map you've been playing, but that siege doesn't seem cheese at all. Especially since arcs would need to in that far corner to barely reach and easily attacked from that vent.

Also, I can't tell you the last time I saw an arc siege from bar happen at all. If it's so overpowered, why isn't everyone doing it? Seems like you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.