Hidden Mod

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    LoL,

I'm glad someone has taken this up....

I began coding a hidden mod myself in Build 193, I had a working wall-walking cloaked fade and everything, but sadly that has been superceeded, as I made other mods. I was always aware I wouldn't have time to come back and make this mod, so I am glad someone else is having the same idea!!! :D
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hi guys I'm glad my ns2_co_nest map is working out for your mod.
    I'm yet to play this mod but will try it out this weekend.

I see your looking for new name. Seeing as both teams are stalking prey. The name
    Stalker.
    The Stalked.
    Prey.

And reading this thread I see camping is an issue.
    the Fade could have the ink cloud ability that recharges every 30 seconds like aliens have in the combat mod. The taunt key activates it so the fade could use it on camping marines obsuring their vison so they must move or the fade coulde use it when trying to escape.
  • MazunguMazungu Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19439Members
    edited January 2013
    This is a great mod and I really enjoy playing it when I need a break from the normal ns2.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    I remember hidden source. . . not a game mode you can play for hours, but still very interesting
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't know if it was the name change or the marine nerfs (i.e. jetpack removal) or what but I haven't seen ANYONE playing this game mode in nearly a week.

I look up my server log and not one game has been played on it. Only about a half dozen people have even connected in days (they leave right away).

Whats going on?
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Ok I played a few games with my brother and there are definitely a few problems.

1. Waaay too long between rounds.
    2. The mines nerf is ridiculously strong and not necessary. Just give the fade bile bomb or something and un-nerf the mines. Throw in minor health damage with the armor damage on bile bomb and you've got a perfectly adequate and useful ranged weapon.

Can't get a game going with enough people to know if the removal of jetpacks works well or not.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Played for first time today. More fun than I expected.

NS2 maps are too big for this mod. Lots of time spent running around looking for the enemy, checking all the vents etc. Could you block walls to make them 1/2 size?

VENTS! block all vents plz.

Need a distraction/harassment ability for the Fade.
  • RioRio Join Date: 2005-01-28 Member: 38716Members
    I don't think that making vents disappear as part of the mod is the way to go. There should probably be custom maps for the mod which are smaller and without vents. Actually, most of the combat mod maps do work for this mod too.

Regarding the mine nerf: I'm probably decreasing the range, I just didn't want people to put mines everywhere in one location without even a chance for the Fade to attack someone.
    <!--quoteo(post=2065545:date=Jan 23 2013, 11:55 AM:name=Rio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rio @ Jan 23 2013, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think that making vents disappear as part of the mod is the way to go. There should probably be custom maps for the mod which are smaller and without vents. Actually, most of the combat mod maps do work for this mod too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wholeheartedly agree.

<!--quoteo(post=2065545:date=Jan 23 2013, 11:55 AM:name=Rio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rio @ Jan 23 2013, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding the mine nerf: I'm probably decreasing the range, I just didn't want people to put mines everywhere in one location without even a chance for the Fade to attack someone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is why I say the fade needs a ranged weapon! Then if the marines stack all their mines in one place, the fade is more likely to see them, shoot one, and they all blow up.
    edited January 2013
    I created a map this evening for Hidden / Faded by essentially deleting most of ns2_summit and modifying what was left. (there are no vents! at least no significant ones!)

The only issues I am aware of are:

1. I forgot to remove the Aliens and Random team join regions.
    2. The minimap is scaled and offset wrong. I don't know what causes this so I can't fix it.
    3. No jetpacks.

The map is called ns2_faded_summit and it is in the rotation on the server called "Faded Mod #2 - Idaho East".

:D
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2066841:date=Jan 26 2013, 04:29 AM:name=bp2008)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bp2008 @ Jan 26 2013, 04:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. The minimap is scaled and offset wrong. I don't know what causes this so I can't fix it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The likely issue is that your minimap_extents entity isn't a perfect square. Make sure its X and Z axes are the exact same value.
    <!--quoteo(post=2067204:date=Jan 26 2013, 06:34 PM:name=Flaterectomy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flaterectomy @ Jan 26 2013, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The likely issue is that your minimap_extents entity isn't a perfect square. Make sure its X and Z axes are the exact same value.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<3 That did it!

More specifically, it seems that X can be larger than Z without having scaling issues, but if Z is greater than X, then you get scaling issues.
    New update, yay!

Added GUI help for leap, wall grip, alien vision and marine buy menu
    Added a ranged weapon (called acid rocket, but is currently bile bomb with more acceleration) for the Fade
    Updated the Fade health/armor scale which starts now at 6 players down from 8 players
    Updated the marine player score which gives now 100 points for a kill and points for kill assists based on the damage done (all dmg done / 100 * damage done)
    Updated the energy regeneration rate of the Fade to 0.7, up from 0.5
    Updated the flamethrower which now burns the Fade only for 1 second, down from 6 seconds
    Updated the marine buy menu, which now gives the marine his weapon and equipment, if the game has just recently started (8 seconds)
    Awesome. Wish I knew the update was coming I just recorded loads of matches now they're all out of date XD
    Just played the new update and I get a nasty looping sound bug the moment I open the buy menu. Same sound repeats very rapidly non-stop and it is very annoying. Please look into this! :D
    Also as the Faded you can "evolve" to skulk, gorge, and fade. Was this intentional?
    edited February 2013
    If you have bile bomb up, you can shadow step.

You can open the evolve menu and evolve into an invisible and invincible gorge, or a skulk.

Turning off Hints in the options menu makes you able to open the buy menu without the sound glitch.

Did you really limit mines to just 1 per square mile instead of 2 from previous builds?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    I loved the hidden: source and it's great that you're turning the concept into an NS 2 mod!

For me personally the hidden was all about interaction with the environment, I hope you will be able to bring that back somehow. There was a true horror element to, swinging bodies, taunting, etc, surely it should be possible to have the hidden affect what players hear and see just as well! (Perhaps allow him to affect sound and lights?) Maybe allow him to interact with powernodes?

I had a short game on it yesterday and I do believe the maps are a bit on the large side, perhaps using combat maps would be better suited? The hidden had fairly small maps, enough for players to search in but there's really not much point in offering these relatively large NS 2 maps, now is there. Also, the name 'faded' is kinda meh :P

Also, the fade feels a bit strong. Isn't it more about sneakiness and surprise than tanking hits, i.e shouldn't he be fairly vulnerable?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also, you should consider making his attack the old 'fade stab', or maybe give it to him as an alt attack.
    As for lightning, why not allow him to destroy power nodes, or have no power in rooms but give marines the ability to repair power nodes. Have flashlights run out of battery, give the fade a creepy taunt, etc
    edited February 2013

It'll finish processing in a bit

bp2008 wrote: »
    Just played the new update and I get a nasty looping sound bug the moment I open the buy menu. Same sound repeats very rapidly non-stop and it is very annoying. Please look into this! :D
    Also as the Faded you can "evolve" to skulk, gorge, and fade. Was this intentional?
    If you have bile bomb up, you can shadow step.

You can open the evolve menu and evolve into an invisible and invincible gorge, or a skulk.

Turning off Hints in the options menu makes you able to open the buy menu without the sound glitch.

Did you really limit mines to just 1 per square mile instead of 2 from previous builds?

Wow, I shouldn't publish when I'm in a hurry. Thanks for your bug report, a fix is on the way.
    And yes, I have limited the mines to 1 per square but also adjusted the range, so it should be fine.

Xarius wrote: »
    Also, the fade feels a bit strong. Isn't it more about sneakiness and surprise than tanking hits, i.e shouldn't he be fairly vulnerable?

The fade IS fairly vulnerable. 2 or 3 solid shotgun blasts and he's down.
    Also, you should consider making his attack the old 'fade stab', or maybe give it to him as an alt attack.
    I plan on bringing the stab attack back, but one thing at a time.
    or have no power in rooms but give marines the ability to repair power nodes.
    I actually like that idea.
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    Rio wrote: »
    I plan on bringing the stab attack back, but one thing at a time.
    or have no power in rooms but give marines the ability to repair power nodes.
    I actually like that idea.

If you are bringing the stab back, make sure its not as OP as pig-sticking is in The Hidden :P
  • MonoCloudMonoCloud Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182797Members
    Just found this forum. Great mod and very fun :D. However, I think you should extend the time limit to at least 10 minutes. Many times I played as fade I felt a bit rushed.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MonoCloud wrote: »
    Just found this forum. Great mod and very fun :D. However, I think you should extend the time limit to at least 10 minutes. Many times I played as fade I felt a bit rushed.

That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Great mod, I agree! I played this mod tonight for the second time with a bunch of ppl and the changes with the last update are very nice!

Unfortunately we also encountered some bugs:
    - unable to reload; reload animation is triggered, but freezes. Shooting is still possible, but once you run out of bullets it's gg. This bug happened every time to everybody.
    - unable to attack as a marine. This bug appeared at random. Pushing the attack button just didn't trigger an attack.

Thanks and keep up the good work!!

P.S. I really recommend playing this mod on the smaller combat maps. They are quite fitting in size.
    edited February 2013
    How did you manage to play with a bunch of people? I played the other day with as many as 4 people but they all left quickly and I must have spent a half hour doing 1v1 with the guy who ran the server before we both gave up on seeing others join. Before the mod changed names, we had as many as 3 nearly-full servers at once. Now there is typically just one or two empty servers. I wonder if the name change is the cause for the loss of players.

Anyway I run the much-neglected Idaho East faded server. Current map rotation is:

ns2_faded_summit
    ns2_co_nest
    ns2_co_minifridge
    ns2_co_fortsiege

I'd be happy to add specific maps to the rotation upon request.

And I still think the mod was more fun with jetpacks than without. With the current gear selection, almost everyone chooses mines and thinks they are bugged because of the huge planting restrictions. Maybe now that the fade has bile bomb, this will be the one game mode where more than one or two players per game will choose the welder.
    I played some rounds yesterday and we came up with some pretty awesome ideas to make this mod more unique and way more creepy and scary (thanks to Jasper!). I have tons of stuff on my feature list and if I get to implement all of that, prepare to be blown away!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    How did you manage to play with a bunch of people? I played the other day with as many as 4 people but they all left quickly and I must have spent a half hour doing 1v1 with the guy who ran the server before we both gave up on seeing others join. Before the mod changed names, we had as many as 3 nearly-full servers at once. Now there is typically just one or two empty servers. I wonder if the name change is the cause for the loss of players.

Probably depends on what you'd call "a bunch". I played with three other people and we're part of a irregular group that gets together every sunday evening. To mix things up we've been trying out mods lately. Everyone agreed that The Faded is great fun and we'll be revisiting it every once in a while.
    edited February 2013
    And we're in beta! I'm lazy, that's why I just post you the changelog:

added all talk (default is enabled, but it's configurable via the server config)
    added creepy ambient sounds
    added the mod version to the top left screen
    added a distortion screen effect, which will be triggered if a marine is close to the fade
    updated the cloak amount, so the fade is a bit more visible now
    updated the light intensity, so it's not that dark anymore
    updated alien vision shader, default background color is now green
    updated hive vision (aka parasite), increased range and marines are now fully visible in red color instead of just showing the edges
    updated the game rules, so players will always join the marine team instead of getting a message
    fixed localization problems with the default NS2 localization
    fixed a bug where marines won't get their welder by default if they haven't selected anything
    The Fade starts now with alien vision enabled by default
    tagged as beta