Where to start out as a noob?

ampereampere Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181237Members
Hello there all,

I'm going to starting playing this game soon I hope and I wanted to find out whether there are servers or games that are noob friendly. I am fully expecting to suck at this game at first (I'm not very good at FPS games), but I want to change that so I want a place to learn with 2 properties:

* I will not piss off people who don't want to play with noobs.
* I will get a chance to learn without being made fun off. Because that's not cool. We all start bad and we all start with some game or another.

Any recommendations? Are there groups of relatively inexperienced players that get together to practice together?

I don't want to be that guy who screws up and makes his team lose. That's not cool and no fun for the better players. But I want a space where I can ramp up to a level where I don't make my team lose. ;-)

Thanks.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    The clan tagged servers that are green are a good place to start out, there are usually some veteran players on there to help you out. And all green coloured servers in general are "rookie friendly" so to speak.

The game iself has a tutorial section in the menu from which you can watch tutorial videos from YouTube

And there is an explore mode in the server creation part of the game, where you are able to explore the things that are in game with tooltips to explain it, very handy for aspiring commanders as well to get familiar with the techtrees

Just be sure to tell people you are a new player and really want to learn the game (your green coloured name isn't a free ticket :P ), using your microphone to ask questions is a good thing. As well as listening to the none green players that are nice enough to guide you :)
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2065159:date=Jan 22 2013, 06:42 PM:name=ampere)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ampere @ Jan 22 2013, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to be that guy who screws up and makes his team lose. That's not cool and no fun for the better players. But I want a space where I can ramp up to a level where I don't make my team lose. ;-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, NS2 is a team game. One marine (non-commander) player cannot lose the game for the team.

As a whole, the NS2 community is very helpful. That said, help may not always be blindly offered. The <i>worst</i> thing is to have a new player on the server who has no interest in communicating, listening, and learning. It sounds like this isn't you. If you're trying to get better ask for advice.

Marines are fairly straight forward, though there are many smaller fine points to master to become very good.

Aliens, on the other hand, may be radically different from anything you've ever played before. I recommend you go to Youtube and type in something like "NS2 Skulk Tips." Watching a 5 minute youtube video from a more experienced player will really benefit you.

Either way, if you're friendly and communicate that you want to learn I have no doubt you'll be welcomed (for the most part) no matter what server you join.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    As long as you're open to doing what other people tell you, most people who play NS2 won't get mad at you just because you're new to the game. If you want to get up to speed and learn some stuff before jumping in, I have <a href="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCfp7klrYmz-0NcwKiMS-Lb5KXp666Pgc" target="_blank">a series of tutorial videos</a> to explain the basics.
  • ApocalipsusApocalipsus Join Date: 2003-10-21 Member: 21838Members
    edited January 2013
    Hello.

Has sayed you should look for rookie servers wich appear in green when browsing servers
    Quick tip on the server name color:
    White - Normal server
    Yellow - Modded server (some mods are included on the server that may alter the game default behavior)
    Green - rookie server (good place for new players to hang out)

Also i would like to point at that noob and newb are 2 diferent things:

<u>Newbs </u>are those who are new to some task and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage.

<u>Noobs</u>, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.

I for once don't want to play with <b>noobs </b>players.
    However I always look around and try to help <b>newb </b>players

So are you a noob or a newb?

Add me to steam if your the second, i'll be glad to show you around the game tonight (steam profile: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/apocalipsus" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/id/apocalipsus</a> )
    I live in Europe, so i'll be around home at 6pm (gmt)- the same as London time.

Cheers
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited January 2013
    In addition I would suggest you try to follow people around as much as you can. Never go any where alone until you get a feel for what you should be doing. This way you at least assist the players who do know what they are doing even if its just being a distraction.

Also listen to voice and text commands people give you or the team.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    While I'm not a veteran myself, I'd be happy to show you the ropes in NS2. That is, if you have a microphone. If not, I strongly suggest to get one, the game relies on rapid communication.

Anyway, if you feel like it, add me on steam: Europe UTC+1. Steam profile: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982654475" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982654475</a>

I will probably be on tomorrow evening and Friday morning.
  • Zerfleischte KanadierinZerfleischte Kanadierin Join Date: 2013-01-11 Member: 179019Members
    Just jump in on a green server, get some hours, look out for classes you like and then go to YouTube and watch some additional tutorial videos. This really helped me out. After somewhat around 30 hours I got into contact with a gaming community and they adopted me as rookie. And helped me to get into more classes and into teamplay. And now, after nearly 100 hours of gameplay, I'm just still as much in love with NS2 as I was back in december when I bought the game.
  • InBlackInBlack Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182720Members
    Hi, Im new myself and thanks for the tips.

Most of the green servers are either full or empty. On most of the normal white and yellow servers I have been asked to leave as soon as I joined.

To me that is not really newbie friendly but oh well....

Im kind of MEH about the game so far, granted I only played about an hour so far but the movement and gunplay (especially with the marines) is very clunky. For example, while shooting you can only move very slowly. Is this intended?

Maps are all very samey, and while this is quite newbie friendly I was hoping they would be bigger and maybe even feature open sky, etc...

Im a shooter veteran, playing multiplayer since Doom2 and while the premise of this game is interesting and I hope it pulls me in, I really hope there is a little bit more to it than Ive seen so far.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    InBlack wrote: »
    Hi, Im new myself and thanks for the tips.

Most of the green servers are either full or empty. On most of the normal white and yellow servers I have been asked to leave as soon as I joined.

To me that is not really newbie friendly but oh well....

Im kind of MEH about the game so far, granted I only played about an hour so far but the movement and gunplay (especially with the marines) is very clunky. For example, while shooting you can only move very slowly. Is this intended?

Maps are all very samey, and while this is quite newbie friendly I was hoping they would be bigger and maybe even feature open sky, etc...

Im a shooter veteran, playing multiplayer since Doom2 and while the premise of this game is interesting and I hope it pulls me in, I really hope there is a little bit more to it than Ive seen so far.

First off, Welcome to the game and forums! It sounds like you've been unfortunate in the servers you've joined. Most of the players are welcoming to new players and i hope you find a place to learn :)

I'd certainly advise that you keep playing a bit longer before making your mind up on the game...It took me a fair few hours game time before I really got into it (and I played NS back in the day). Initially the maps are confusing and you end up staring at the map more than anything. The complexity of the game is certainly off-putting for new players, but as you learn it keeps it interesting.

There aren't any open maps at the moment for several reasons. Lerks' would have an easy time in open areas, able to hide somewhere and shoot across huge distances. There is also a limit on what distance things are rendered (45m), so large open areas would result in not seeing things over that distance. In the future, I expect mappers will achieve maps that feel more open than the current ones even if it's simply an illusion. There are also new official maps coming soon that'll have different art styles than the current ones, so it won't feel quite so samey.

Until you've experienced a few balanced matches on friendly servers (more common than you may currently think) and learnt more about the maps themselves i.e. good positioning, alternative routes etc. You may not find it that enjoyable. Once you've picked up some experience and seen a few good matches though I suspect you'll see why so many of us love this game...That's not to say it's for everyone, but it's worth giving it a good chance, it might just surprise you :)
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    Agreeing with everyone else.

Communicate with your microphone

Also, it is a good idea if you are just starting to either
    a. Stay at base and build the first few structures, then leave out with someone that spawns
    b. Stay with 2 or more other people (usually the pressure group)

If you go with a group don't take point. Watch the back and cover the point man. Guard those that are building power nodes and structures. You never want every person in a room building.

Communicate with your microphone

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited February 2013
    My alien advice:
    The context is as in a skulk ninjaing building, not a base push.
    Can I add a few notes to the Kharaa?

1) Don't always go for the node. Especially if it's just for a RT, Nodes are free to repair, RT's cost res to replace as well as (if shortly) reduce TSF income

2) No.1 applies. When rushing the base take out important structures other than the node (again all of which cost resources & time to re-build/search back:

Name: HP/Armor: Effect when lost
    Power node: 2000/1000, (for comparison)
    Arms lab: 2200/225, No weapons or armor upgrades, pretty much GG late game
    Prototype lab: 3200/400, No EXOs or jetpacks
    Adv. Armory: 3000/500, No Grenades, or flamers.

Note: numbers are from the wiki so they might be outdated, (actually the proto don't have armor) but what I said is still true; QUOTE And most of these have somewhat more HP, but way less armor, barely even 1/2. So any of these will go down quicker than a PN with more long term-results.
    (I believe) Nodes have the 3rd most amount health/armor of any structure, bar the CC/res tower. And they are free to repair, everything else needs 5 res to weld or be entirely replaced.
    You could take down a prototype lab, arms lab, or an observatory faster than a node with a much more damaging; no upgrades, can't get to base; and a longer term effect 'cause these cost res & time to rebuild.

Seconds to kill as a skulk chomping w/o interruption: (I did it by my mp3 clock so give or take a few seconds)
    Node~26
    Obs~11
    Arms Lab~17
    Proto Lab~21
    Extractor~30 (At res points still go for the extractor over the node, Takes longer to kill but costs to replace and if shortly, reduces income)
  • LandswimmerLandswimmer Join Date: 2012-07-25 Member: 154346Members
    This community is the most noob friendly I've ever seen. Just ask around, join rookie-friendly games and don't worry about losing it for the team.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    watching a lot of videos on youtube and twitch helped me a lot.

then com a little bit,
    so you learn the names of the sections faster
    and then play play play and have FUN!!