Fix to accidental selection of marines while medpacking

GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
The situation:

While dropping med and ammo packs, commanders tend to click on marines, selecting them. This causes the commander menu to go to the order tab from the support tab and interrupts the medspam until the change is noticed.

Solution 1:

Add an option to disable selection of marines by clicking on them. This would solve the problem and commanders could still give orders by box selection of marines.

Solution 2 (the better one):

Add med and ammo packs to the order tab under the same keys. This way if commanders do click on the marines, the flow of medpacks is not interrupted.

Comments

• Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    edited January 2013
    hi,

+1 to the op

currently there are 5 ways to select marines.

1. presing the select all marines button - fine

2. using hotkeys to select a group of marines you have previously set to a hotkey - fine

3. holding mouse1 and dragging the mouse to draw a box around the marines you want to select - fine

4. double clicking on a marine to select all marines in range - fine

5. clicking on a marine to select him.

now... if we remove clicking on a single marine to select him..... we will be just fine.

I would LOVE an option to do this, it would make things so much simpler.

When i play in competitive games, i only give marines waypoints when im waypointing all marines to an upgrade structure.

When i am in public games, i rarely click on a single marine via method 5 to give him an order, i drag a box around him, or double click - hes a moving target, and normally is in a group.

I can really do without clicking on a marine to select him with a single click, and it would make my medpacking easier.

I also love solution #2

I would also offer solution #3 - allow holding shift to engage the placing of multiple structres.

i.e. if you hold shift and place the medpack pressing mouse1, you only meed to press mouse1 to place another medpack for as long as you are holding shift, releasing shift means that when you next press mouse1 you will place you last medpack as usual.

I would love to see any combination of these options implemented.

If any new players are finding this to be an issue, my current work around is to press e>s>mouse1 for every medpack.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
  • BigRustyRedBigRustyRed Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173786Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree that it is a problem, I find my self often pressing E S just in case I accidentally select a marine, I think a simple and intuitive solution would be much like your second suggestion having meds and ammo packs on their own hotkeys rather than a part of the grid, having a special keybinding just for meds and ammo packs, so instead of E S I could just press S for example
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    +1

Accidentally selecting a marine when desperately trying to medpack spam him is one of the most annoying things about being comm imo. :)