Power node overload attack

AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
Allow the commander to select a power node and overload it. It will charge for like 3 seconds generating a very audible noise and then shock anything within a small small radius(like 1 meter). Powerful enough to instagib a skulk with carapace (so 200 damage would be good). 30 second cooldown.

Not sure what good it would do, just an idea I had and thought I would share. Would only really work again unawares aliens, though it could be put to some use by clever commanders.

Comments

• Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    that would be awesome, make skulks think twice before hitting power like its nothing.
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    I'm very interested to see this implemented. Hope the devs see this.
  • archwaykittenarchwaykitten Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180431Members
    I would love to see this... if only because it would discourage skulks from mindlessly chewing away at every power node they see instead of focusing on higher priority targets. It would actually help aliens .
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well, those little power nodes generate huge amount of power that is enough to power lots of complicated structures including teleports. This makes me think they use nuclear power. If so, it would be much better idea for them to cause nuclear explosions. You sneak into hive room, build up power and WHAM!
    I really hope devs see this, they shuold be in game ASAP.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited January 2013
    I only see this as semi-useful since it only deters rookie skulks that don't know to hit the node last in *most* cases.
    Nodes have the 3rd most amount health/armor of any structure, bar the CC/res tower. And they are free to repair, everything else needs 5 res to weld or be entirely replaced.
    You could take down a prototype lab, arms lab, or an observatory faster than a node with a much more damaging; no upgrades, can't get to base; and a longer term effect 'cause these cost res & time to rebuild.

Seconds to kill as a skulk chomping w/o interruption:<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> (I did it by my mp3 clock so give or take a few seconds)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    Node~26
    Obs~11
    Arms Lab~17
    Proto Lab~21
    Extractor~30 (At res points still go for the extractor over the node, Takes longer to kill but costs to replace and if shortly, reduces income)
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    Nice idea; it should have some drawbacks though...

Simplest idea is to give it a cooldown (global?)
    OR, due to heat caused by the Overload, the Power Node will not be able to provide energy to the room for X seconds.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Skulks will just back off when they hear the countdown commence, wait for the blast, then continue chewing away. So basically it would just be a small delay tactic. It would only fry rookie skulks who have no idea of what's coming.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2064247:date=Jan 21 2013, 08:13 AM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Jan 21 2013, 08:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2064247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Allow the commander to select a power node and overload it. It will charge for like 3 seconds generating a very audible noise and then shock anything within a small small radius(like 1 meter). Powerful enough to instagib a skulk with carapace (so 200 damage would be good). 30 second cooldown.

Not sure what good it would do, just an idea I had and thought I would share. Would only really work again unawares aliens, though it could be put to some use by clever commanders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cost?
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    And the overflow of suggestions into general discussion continues.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2064657:date=Jan 21 2013, 10:32 PM:name=ZEROibis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZEROibis @ Jan 21 2013, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2064657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->free<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Free, able to instakill skulks with carapace? Seems legit...

I don't support the suggestion anyway, power nodes are fine as they are.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2064661:date=Jan 21 2013, 10:38 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 21 2013, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2064661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And the overflow of suggestions into general discussion continues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've already acknowledged my mistake earlier in the 2nd post. I thought I was in the I&S section.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Cost: Further damages the power node.

Make it % based, as lonfg as the effect is AOE and power nodes have more health than skulks, a good comm would be able to use this to push skulks off untill higher life forms appear / the aliens wish to go shift first :)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome idea.

Activation: Global powernode system that overcharchges one, but makes the power unusable for 30 seconds. And only one room at a time. Cost: Free. Fries skulks in a radius of 10 metres, roompower will have lighnting like on 50% damaged.

At least a feature that somewhats like electrify.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2013
    Violates high level designs from the game director regarding how it can be frustrating to the player on the ground if some invisible force is able to directly hurt them. "Perceived unfairness" is what it was called.

I personally do not like the idea. Free, and it insta kills me with no possible contention or counter from me? No thanks
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--QuoteBegin-Azaral+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Allow the commander to select a power node and overload it. It will charge for like 3 seconds generating a very audible noise and then shock anything within a small small radius(like 1 meter). Powerful enough to instagib a skulk with carapace (so 200 damage would be good). 30 second cooldown.

Not sure what good it would do, just an idea I had and thought I would share. Would only really work again unawares aliens, though it could be put to some use by clever commanders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like the enthusiasm, but this is a pretty bad mechanic. Instagibs new players, not intuitive to people who die to it, easily avoided anyway, hard cooldown based. And so much more. 200 dmg for free?

What are you even trying to accomplish by adding it?

<!--QuoteBegin-whoppaxl+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaxl)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Awesome idea.

Activation: Global powernode system that overcharchges one, but makes the power unusable for 30 seconds. And only one room at a time. Cost: Free. Fries skulks in a radius of 10 metres, roompower will have lighnting like on 50% damaged.

At least a feature that somewhats like electrify.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Making it temporarily unpower all buildings means you're going to spam it everywhere but your base powernode, and even then it becomes useless against any semi-conscious player. Increasing the radius just makes it creep towards another stupid mechanic that nullifies skill and can't be avoided. (*edit* Ironhorse beat me to it) Add all the 'balancing tradeoffs' you want, having a button that can instantly purge a room of skulks (or even damage them slightly) is pretty silly and adds nothing to the game.

Adding aoe overload attacks to powernodes is nothing like adding electrify.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Phased to I&S.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    High level design says that the commander can't directly hurt players.

But really we are missing a great opportunity here... for ELECTRIFIED POWER NODES!