Why not camouflage first!

xXAmphibiaXXxXAmphibiaXX Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179610Members
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
My question to the NS2 community is why commanders always get camouflage last. I mean it is far the most helpful perk but instead they get adrenaline or something..... WHY!

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->*snip*
Your videos have absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic
- Mouse<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Not watching any of your videos and if you're serious and not just trolling please refer to one of the other 20 or so posts about this very topic.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited January 2013
    My answer to rookies that pose this question is that it nerfs your mid-late game life forms.

You go Camo first, Fade hits the field on 2nd hive... a Camo / Celerity Fade is a joke. Same with Camo Lerk, before the 2nd Hive. If you got Cara for 2nd Hive, your life forms are still inherently weaker than if the Fade had Adrenaline/Celerity + Carapace/Regen and same for Lerk.

You essentially trade your higher life forms ability to scale to Marine upgrades in combat for (hopefully) established, better map control around your Skulks ability to stay hidden.

Combined with the fact that most pub server skulks don't use Camo properly, slow walking from starting Hive to opposite side while camouflaged the entire time rather than getting into position and cloaking.... at that point you're sacrificing mobility as well.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060939:date=Jan 15 2013, 03:17 PM:name=xXAmphibiaXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xXAmphibiaXX @ Jan 15 2013, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My question to the NS2 community is why commanders always get camouflage last. I mean it is far the most helpful perk but instead they get adrenaline or something..... WHY!

In a nutshell:

Camo first inspires newer players to slowly creep across the map to "stay cloaked" taking away the speed advantage aliens enjoy.

Camo first means (depending on the server size) respawn will be slower.

Camo first will mean (depending on the number of tech points) you will have a harder time getting the third hive without Crag or Shift.

Camo is quickly and handedly hard countered by scanner sweeps and observatories.

The effectiveness of Camo greatly depends on the skill of the alien players; the better they are, the more effective camo is, the worse they are the less effective camo is.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    Shifts are really really good.
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Hoping its troll.
    Camo first is just no.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    You can feasibly go any hive first, its just depends on first of all how good your teammates and communication skills are, and secondly what the overall strategy for your team is, You could go silence first for all that it mattered, it just requires good execution
  • 11monkeys11monkeys Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 177001Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree on one thing:
    Nothing is more useless than rushing adrenaline.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=2060999:date=Jan 15 2013, 11:30 PM:name=11monkeys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (11monkeys @ Jan 15 2013, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree on one thing:
    Nothing is more useless than rushing adrenaline.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

my RT & hive building and healing gorge disagrees. it takes minutes of your tech tree.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060939:date=Jan 15 2013, 02:17 PM:name=xXAmphibiaXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xXAmphibiaXX @ Jan 15 2013, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My question to the NS2 community is why commanders always get camouflage last. I mean it is far the most helpful perk but instead they get adrenaline or something..... WHY!

Too many rookies
    Too many players that, even when told nicely how to utilize camo/walking, when and how, they still don't use it
    Egglock.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    The only time aliens want camo after 5 minutes in is when they don't know how awesome silence is.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060939:date=Jan 16 2013, 06:17 AM:name=xXAmphibiaXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xXAmphibiaXX @ Jan 16 2013, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My question to the NS2 community is why commanders always get camouflage last. I mean it is far the most helpful perk but instead they get adrenaline or something..... WHY!

Some khamms do but they are in the minority, mostly the reason its left till last is part legacy from ns1 and also that it means you have to have a 3rd hive (so not great strat for Veil with only 4 tech points).

When done right it is a very damaging 1st hive and forces marines to totally change how they play.

It has its down sides...but I agree its great to use up front and slows a marine team down and forces them to group up and not go solo.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061002:date=Jan 15 2013, 11:35 PM:name=DC_Darkling)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DC_Darkling @ Jan 15 2013, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my RT & hive building and healing gorge disagrees. it takes minutes of your tech tree.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd rather drop an Shift next to that Hive/Gorge, instead of rushing Adren for the whole team in that situation.
    The Shift enables egg spawning at the building Hive regens Adren, it's also cheaper compared to getting the Adren upgrade.

I love adren as a Gorge but as Khamm it's usually somewhat low priority to me.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Camo first has a very niche usage,
    first, you have the rookies who have no idea how to use it properly.
    second, is the vets which knows how to counter it easily with scan
    third, is the pros which find it cheap and also easy to counter
    last is the, team with a few decent alien players facing a rookie commander (only time it works, cheaply I might add). Being on the recieving end of of this group makes your rage more than anything because you suffer more than usually from a bad commanders awareness and APM.
  • GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    now if instead the commander/gorge could just drop 3 shades around the map, which would allow anyone on the team to choose from either silence, camo or focus, you could make the argument that rushing shade hive first would be smart.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061007:date=Jan 15 2013, 11:39 PM:name=BentRing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BentRing @ Jan 15 2013, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only time aliens want camo after 5 minutes in is when they don't know how awesome silence is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    agreed, silence over camo anytime.
    If you want to camo yourself, find some real shade...silence will take you there safely.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060941:date=Jan 15 2013, 08:22 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Jan 15 2013, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Combined with the fact that most pub server skulks don't use Camo properly, slow walking from starting Hive to opposite side while camouflaged the entire time rather than getting into position and cloaking.... at that point you're sacrificing mobility as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

??

People... actually do that?

Why on earth would you do that, it's incredibly silly.
  • chibimikechibimike Join Date: 2007-09-09 Member: 62232Members
    If this game had Focus, then it might not be such a bad choice.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited January 2013
    Mainly cuz good players have always looked down on it for being "newb" for so long that nobody ever gives it a chance, and also because newer players do tend to either not use it at all, or just take forever getting anywhere with it. So the only players who could possibly use it well are the ones who are too set in their ways to give it a chance.

I think its still fairly untried by good players.

In my opinion the people stating it can be "countered" by scans are not taking into account the fact that scanning every room is very resource intensive, setting back upgrades and teching significantly. Further, good skulks can avoid this "counter" in many situations by running away when they get scanned and then coming back. The thing about camo is that the aliens have to be very aggressive, you can't just wait in the tech points or you will get scanned for sure.

You shouldn't get egg locked with camo because your skulks should do better in the early game.

Regarding higher lifeforms, as we were just discussing in another post, fades these days barely benefit from movement upgrades, however, onos, gorges and lerks all suffer from a lack of movement upgrades. I would argue however that with hopefully improved early game performance, and fades a team should be able to secure a 3rd hive on most maps, veil might not be the best map to try it on though.

If there was focus it would be amazing.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2060939:date=Jan 15 2013, 04:17 PM:name=xXAmphibiaXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xXAmphibiaXX @ Jan 15 2013, 04:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My question to the NS2 community is why commanders always get camouflage last. I mean it is far the most helpful perk but instead they get adrenaline or something..... WHY!

Basically, mid to late game, you're gonna need adrenaline for any lifeform but perhaps the skulk (bile bomb+heal, spores, blink, onos charge). And you most definitely need the carapace upgrade, really, carapace is just so damn important to counter the marine upgrades. So, when you go shade hive first, and you get stuck at two hive max, you're gonna have some serious troubles in the late game. Picking shade hive first is not that bad though, but you'll need to capitalise on it immediately and just take map control from the beginning. If you don't, you're screwed later on. So it's a bit of a gamble. While getting shift or crag first is a safer strategy.

There used to be a time when commanders would do nothing but shade hive first though, with mixed results as you can imagine. :)
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061040:date=Jan 16 2013, 11:14 AM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Jan 16 2013, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mainly cuz good players have always looked down on it for being "newb" for so long that nobody ever gives it a chance, and also because newer players do tend to either not use it at all, or just take forever getting anywhere with it. So the only players who could possibly use it well are the ones who are too set in their ways to give it a chance.

I think its still fairly untried by good players.

In my opinion the people stating it can be "countered" by scans are not taking into account the fact that scanning every room is very resource intensive, setting back upgrades and teching significantly. Further, good skulks can avoid this "counter" in many situations by running away when they get scanned and then coming back. The thing about camo is that the aliens have to be very aggressive, you can't just wait in the tech points or you will get scanned for sure.

You shouldn't get egg locked with camo because your skulks should do better in the early game.

Regarding higher lifeforms, as we were just discussing in another post, fades these days barely benefit from movement upgrades, however, onos, gorges and lerks all suffer from a lack of movement upgrades. I would argue however that with hopefully improved early game performance, and fades a team should be able to secure a 3rd hive on most maps, veil might not be the best map to try it on though.

If there was focus it would be amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IF you can secure 3 bases with camo first, aliens would have won with an afk commander and 1 res tower for all intensive purposes.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061115:date=Jan 15 2013, 09:02 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Jan 15 2013, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IF you can secure 3 bases with camo first, aliens would have won with an afk commander and 1 res tower for all intensive purposes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2061115:date=Jan 15 2013, 09:02 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Jan 15 2013, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->aliens would have won with an afk commander and 1 res tower for all intensive purposes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2061115:date=Jan 15 2013, 09:02 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Jan 15 2013, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and 1 res tower for all intensive purposes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2061115:date=Jan 15 2013, 09:02 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Jan 15 2013, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->intensive purposes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    His purposes are intense bro, deal with it.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited January 2013
    Camo first is great for the early game. It drains marine resources and it's by far the best upgrade for skulks before leap. The problem is the second hive. You end up forced to choose between crag and shift, both of which are absolutely essential for mid game. It's even worse to get camo second, because you fail to get the early game advantage with it AND you leave yourself in the crag or shift situation midgame.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060943:date=Jan 15 2013, 03:24 PM:name=MMZ_Torak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MMZ_Torak @ Jan 15 2013, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In a nutshell:

...speed advantage<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Such a shame shade is limited. It really does have it's uses but is horribly outplayed later on. Though I prefer silence to camo.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Silence is better than camo.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061144:date=Jan 15 2013, 08:44 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Jan 15 2013, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Such a shame shade is limited. It really does have it's uses but is horribly outplayed later on. Though I prefer silence to camo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2061154:date=Jan 15 2013, 09:30 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 15 2013, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Silence is better than camo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends. I definitely like using silence myself because it helps me keep full mobility while still offering some benefit even if I'm not actively trying to use it. Camo is generally more useful for getting to melee range undetected, it's also more effective for setting up an ambush or for sneaking in a ninja gorge (if you are already there or can get there easily, silence will buy the gorge more shots before he's found).

Like with celerity over adrenaline, if you are going shade as a first hive Camo is going to be the upgrade to rush. Silence tends to be more valuable later in the game with more advanced lifeforms and or upgrades, and with more obs scattered across the map.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061161:date=Jan 15 2013, 09:39 PM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 15 2013, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depends. I definitely like using silence myself because it helps me keep full mobility while still offering some benefit even if I'm not actively trying to use it. Camo is generally more useful for getting to melee range undetected, it's also more effective for setting up an ambush or for sneaking in a ninja gorge (if you are already there or can get there easily, silence will buy the gorge more shots before he's found).

Like with celerity over adrenaline, if you are going shade as a first hive Camo is going to be the upgrade to rush. Silence tends to be more valuable later in the game with more advanced lifeforms and or upgrades, and with more obs scattered across the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find silence better than camo off the bat, at least against good players.
    Good players use sound cues(Usually headphones/headsets, sometimes surround sound), silence negates that completely.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061161:date=Jan 16 2013, 12:39 AM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 16 2013, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like with celerity over adrenaline, if you are going shade as a first hive Camo is going to be the upgrade to rush.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which doesn't really make sense, since Silence and Camo <i>combined</i> are roughly as expensive as any other <i>single</i> upgrade. There's really no reason not to get both right away if you're going shade first. (Off the top of my head, veils cost 5 each and 10 to upgrade; shells are 15 each, plus 10 or 15 to upgrade; spurs are 10 each, 15 to upgrade.)

Yet, I always have to ask for Silence several minutes in. :-(
  • StimpyStimpy Join Date: 2003-05-05 Member: 16086Members
    I would considering going shade first, if focus from ns1 would replace camo. (2x damage and half the attack speed upgrade)

Otherwise the trait is too limiting for late game as many have said.